Thread: Each launch of outlook the number of scanned emails goes UP

deputydawg Guest

Default Each launch of outlook the number of scanned emails goes UP

Hello all,

I have asked this question before, but never really found the answer, so I went to Zone Alarm support which I must admit was the BIGGEST WASTE of my time. They did NOT seem to get what I was talking about, made suggestions that were unrealistic, did NOT follow up when they said they would etc etc etc etc. Basically USELESS (to me in my opinion which I'm entitled to).

The problem went away when they told me to un-install/re-install (which I didn't want to do since it would wipe out some settings or so I thought), but did anyways.

But that was NOT root cause, so the problem came back. The problem is:

EVERY time I launch outlook, the popup that tells you it is scanning new emails comes up (from frontier or something like that). Each time I launch outlook that number slowly goes up. It is at the point now where it is at something like 180 messages. While this is occurring it pretty much slows my pc down and/or makes it unusable.

My question to them was what are these new emails that it is scanning and why is it increasing every day. Once I launch outlook and it scans new emails, should that be DONE and the counter be reset? Also they suggested changing the configuration to enable Idle scanning and RE-Scan the folder after a wait of an hour. What I have noticed is that randomly the Inbox scanner will pop up on its own and scan. Ok so if this is happening, WHY when I launch outlook does that number continue to grow????? I have seen others post this so I know i'm not alone, but have yet to get an explanation or fix for this. It's driving me NUTS.... Any thoughts???

Thanks

Outlook: 2002
    Zone Alarm Security Suite: 7.0.462.000 (the most current I believe)

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

deputydawg Guest

Default Re: Each launch of outlook the number of scanned emails goes UP

Can anyone out there offer any suggestions to this?

The Scan is now up to 200 emails every time I launch outlook. It grows every day.

Thanks...

findley Guest

<blockquote><hr>DeputyDawg wrote:
    Can anyone out there offer any suggestions to this?

The Scan is now up to 200 emails every time I launch outlook. It grows every day.

Thanks...
    <hr></blockquote>

Hi DeputyDawg,

Do you have rescan Idle folder enabled?
    Email Protection tab =&gt; (junk email filter section) Advanced=&gt;Settings=&gt;(Rescan Folder section) Configure=&gt; uncheck Enable Idle Scan Folder=&gt;click OK

Regards,
    Findley

deputydawg Guest

Findley
    Thanks.. I believe that setting was already un-checked.
    In ZA's infinite wisdom they asked me to check it.
    The problem remains.

Now I'm just over 200 emails that it scans on startup of outlook.. which slows my pc downso I can't do much until it finishes
    I have un-checked it, will see what happens
    UGGGGGGGGGGGGG

deputydawg Guest

Findley,
    Well I tried it.. un-checked, exited zone alarm and outlook, re-started both -- same problem
    Appreciate the efforts...

findley Guest

<blockquote><hr>DeputyDawg wrote:
    Findley,
    Well I tried it.. un-checked, exited zone alarm and outlook, re-started both -- same problemAppreciate the efforts...
    <hr></blockquote>

DeputyDawg,

Outlook 2002 has a junk filter of its own - by any chance do you have that enabled?

I do not use Outlook 2002 but found this link which explains about the Outlook 2002 junk filter and may help you find whether or not you have it enabled.
    http://its.ucsf.edu/information/soft...pam_filter.jsp

Regards,
    Findley

Thread Information