Thread: URL Links in non-browser programs (e-mail, usenet reader, etc.) blocked

alberga Guest

Default URL Links in non-browser programs (e-mail, usenet reader, etc.) blocked

I posted this question as a reply to an earlier thread, but have not received any reply. I will repeat it here, and ask if there is a different section of the forum where I might post it and get some help.

Programs affected: Firefox, Thunderbird, Fort Agent.

System: Windows XP Pro, ZoneAlarm 7.0.337.000.

System was recently wiped clean (for factory service) and all programs, including Windows, reinstalled. No Symantic software has been installed on the machine.

Attempting to open URL links in either Thunderbird or Fort Agent fail silently, no error message is seen. A website which presents an https: URL to the Windows shell from Firefox fails with an error message "The parameter is incorrect". If the URL is manually entered into Firefox it works with no problems.

I have followed the advice given in this thread, save for the Norton removal tool, since no part of Norton is present, and the presence of green check marks where blue question marks were advised, but with no effect.

Are there any other settings I should check? Is it possible that the problem is somewhere else in the system. Note that I have the same setup on my home computer (I am on the road at the moment) and the links work correctly.

Cyril N. Alberga

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

findley Guest

Default Re: URL Links in non-browser programs (e-mail, usenet reader, etc.) blocked

<blockquote><hr>Alberga wrote:
    I posted this question as a reply to an earlier thread, but have not received any reply. I will repeat it here, and ask if there is a different section of the forum where I might post it and get some help.

Programs affected: Firefox, Thunderbird, Fort Agent.

System: Windows XP Pro, ZoneAlarm 7.0.337.000.

System was recently wiped clean (for factory service) and all programs, including Windows, reinstalled. No Symantic software has been installed on the machine.

Attempting to open URL links in either Thunderbird or Fort Agent fail silently, no error message is seen. A website which presents an https: URL to the Windows shell from Firefox fails with an error message &quot;The parameter is incorrect&quot;. If the URL is manually entered into Firefox it works with no problems.

I have followed the advice given in this thread, save for the Norton removal tool, since no part of Norton is present, and the presence of green check marks where blue question marks were advised, but with no effect.

Are there any other settings I should check? Is it possible that the problem is somewhere else in the system. Note that I have the same setup on my home computer (I am on the road at the moment) and the links work correctly.

Cyril N. Alberga

Operating System: Windows XP Pro
    Software Version: 7.0
    Product Name: ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

<hr></blockquote>

Hi Alberga,

What are your program settings for Thunderbird and Forte' Agent? Have you tried wiping all settings for these two in zone alarm programs listings - reboot and let zone alarm reconfigure these programs? Have you tried allowing everything? Same questions on Firefox - what are your program settings in zone alarm? Try removing it reboot and let zone alarm reconfigure it? Then allow everything and see what you get? While I am not familiar with Forte' Agent, users have been able to use Thunderbird with Zone Alarm.

What are your privacy settings?
    Take a look here: http://zonealarm.donhoover.net/privacy.html

Some users have had to add sites to trusted in order to get access, sometimes in zone alarm and/or the browser being used.

Lastly, another thought - any malware problems recently? Sometimes - not saying this is the case here - just sometimes malware may or may not be involved. You may want to consider downloading SUPERantispyware It's free http://www.superantispyware.com/supe...freevspro.html
    I personally use it and would recommend it.

Hope this helps.
    Regards,
    Findley

Thread Information