Thread: hotmail problems - object moved to here - cookie control off

dannyf Guest

Default hotmail problems - object moved to here - cookie control off

Over the last few months I have been having problems with my Hotmail accounts. This applies to both Internet Explorer 7 (IE7) and Firefox 2 (FF2). However the outputs are different for each browser.

I thought it was Hotmail and the new Windows Live version and wrote to them about it. This was until I shut down Zone Alarm ( Security Suite - ZASS ) and tried Hotmail. Without Zone Alarm everything works perfectly.Description of the
    problem:
    When using IE7 after sign in to Hotmail, the next screen says Object Moved to Here with the word "here" as a link. The same screen comes up when using sign out from hotmail.
    If you use Windows Live Full it may come up and say its is taking too long and you can swap to Live Classic.
    Either way, strange things happen. Like you can't delete mail. It just refreshes the screen with the same list still there. You cannot update your profile. There are too many things to list that you can't do. But the trouble is that it is not consistent.
    When using FF2, all you get is a screen of text ( HTML code
    )
    and that is it. ( Apparently on some Firefox forums, it is driving some people nuts with them citing
    it is a compatibility issue with IE7 and Microsoft coding ).
    Experimenting some more, I found that instead of shutting down ZASS all you have to do is turn off Cookie Control and Hotmail works perfectly - no "Object" notice (IE7) or screen full of text (FF2).
    Testing showed that no amount of allowed setting, no restrictions or permissions within ZASS for live.com, hotmail.com, mail.live.com, msn.com, ps2.zonelabs.com, livehotmail.ninemsn.com.au helped (I allowed every site that came up while doing Hotmail testing after deleting every cookie and history item to be sure of a fresh start)
    ZoneAlarm Reset did not fix the problem (3 times) and uninstalling / re-installing ZASS did not fix it either (2 times).
    Last set of tests shows IE7 only with the "Object Moved to Here" issue (everything else working at the moment and FF2 not working at all for Hotmail.
    I have opened 4 Hotmail accounts now testing each one - with the same result.
    I guess the ultimate question is " Why isn't ZASS letting specific sites
    with absolutely no restrictions on their cookies pass through the filter. Yet, when Cookie Control is turned off the same sites (along with every other site in the world) works perfectly. Not the ideal fix or solution.
    Can't remember when this started to happen, but suspect it is when I upgraded to ZASS 7.0 ....
    Has anyone else had this problem or even something similar ?
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:7.0.462.000
    TrueVector version:7.0.462.000
    Driver version:7.0.462.000
    Anti-virus engine version:3
    Anti-virus SDK version:5.0.1.82
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:944376853
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.189.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200802.3305
    AntiSpam version:5.0.6.8903

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Message Edited by Dannyf on 02-10-2008 05:37 PM

Message Edited by Dannyf on 02-10-2008 06:40 PM

naivemelody Guest

Default Re: hotmail problems - object moved to here - cookie control off

Question: did you
    configure
    Hotmail/LiveMail to Outlook Express - ?<hr>http://forums.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/...essage.id=8736<hr>

<a target="_blank"></a>4. How do I configure ZoneAlarm Anti-Spam to work with Hotmail?

Currently ZoneAlarm Anti-Spam supports Hotmail only when it is used with Outlook Express. If you have a Hotmail account, add it to Outlook Express as any other email account.
    1. Under the &quot;Tools&quot; menu, select &quot;Accounts&quot;
    2. Click the &quot;Add&quot; button and select &quot;Mail&quot;
    3. Follow the instruction for adding a new account. When an address ending in @hotmail.com is specified, Outlook Express will recognize it as a Web-based account and fill out the server information automatically. When finished, there will be a number of Web-specific options, including downloading the Hotmail folder structure. Once completed, re-start Outlook Express.

ZoneAlarm Anti-Spam also supports Yahoo! through Outlook and Outlook Express when Outlook and Outlook Express are accessed using POP3. However, ZoneAlarm Anti-Spam does not presently work with the AOL client.<hr>If you are using Outlook to access Hotmail, you must use the junk e-mail filter's spam blocking features and special folders instead of Hotmail's.<hr>In your ZA program list for IE7 - see if this change helps - Three green bars, Access - two green checks, Server - two &quot; ? ? &quot;, Mail -one green check. http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...message.id=145<hr>In cookies, I have &quot;login.live&quot; and &quot;p.live&quot; that I keep, too. Thou I don't use ZA Suite. At the very least, you have Livemail working :8}<hr>Otherwise please contact ZA Tech Support - click here &gt; http://www.zonealarm.com/store/conte...ch_support.jsp<hr>NaiveMelody NYC 2-10-08 - No Sleep Till Brooklyn - The Beastie Boys

dannyf Guest

Thanks anyway NaiveMelody
    In answer to question on Outlook Express. No I don't use it to access Hotmail.
    I did try all your suggestions. However, none of the settings in Program Control or in Privacy worked. Same result with every test on both Internet Explorer 7 (IE7) and Firefox 2. And as I don't use Outlook Express the Anti-spam thing wasn't tried.
    I'll send a request for assistance to ZoneLabs Support.
    Thanks again

mikeyx Guest

Hi Danny
    I have been experiencing similar
    issues as you. I only get the &quot;Object has been moved to here&quot; on signing out of hotmail or downloading attachments.
    As you say, deleting mail sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. And
    occasional,
    I get a message from Windows Live mail that
    I should enable cookies to work with Live Mail.
    The message gives a detailed explanation
    how to do
    this which I followed to no
    avail. So based on your findings, you believe it's
    Zone Alarm.

I will be interested in Check Point's response to you - there must be 1000's of users suffering this problem.

bongella Guest

I
    have exactly the same problem, and its driving me mad.
    I've followed your instructions re. cookie control and it works perfectly.
    I also do not use Outlook.
    Any kind of solution to this would be fantastic as until I read your post I was unable to access my email.

dannyf Guest

MikeyX, Bongella and NaiveMelody
    I have given up and have set the Cookie Control and ADBlocking to Disabled. I did a complete computer rebuild and testing with the most basic XP and Zone Alarm setup.
    As for thousand of us users having the same problems. Well according to Zone Alarm Tech Support, what is happening to me is very strange, very strange indeed. Well, that is the vibe I got from the short question about what is occurring. Their tech guys is having no problems with IE7 or FireFox.
    If you are interested search the forum for http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...ssage.id=26560
    The thread is called &quot;AntiVirus Spinning Its Wheels&quot;. It will show you what I have done - please excuse my frustrated outlook during discussion with FAX.
    Catch you around
    Dannyf

Thread Information