Thread: ZA Junk Mail filter locks OE

tomb Guest

Default ZA Junk Mail filter locks OE

I uninstalled ZA a week ago. It was functioning properly at the time.
    I have now reinstalled ZA Internet Security Suite, and updated to current version 7.0.462.
    Spam filer box comes up, but does not do anything except lock up Outlook Express 6.
    I have to "End Now" OE and restart it in order to read email.

OE folders have been compacted.

Any suggestions?

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

findley Guest

Default Re: ZA Junk Mail filter locks OE

tomB,

One thought which may or may not work for you: have you tried removing Outlook Express from Program Control and letting ZA add it back and reconfigure the next time you open Outlook Express? My disclaimer here is Outlook Express 6 has been an issue with some people using the junk filter - others have enabled the junk filter and used OE6 without an issue. Some people have experienced OE crashes when forwarding or replying to email in OE6 with the junk filter enabled. They have reported this problem to technical support and have turned the junk filter off.

Findley

theoldman Guest

I am having the problem talked about elsewhere in this forum as to when the Reply or Forward button is pressed, OE closes with no error or any indication as to why. I did observe that the "Open a blank new Email" trick suggested here worked for me.
    http://forums.zonelabs.com/zonelabs/...essage.id=9542
    I also wanted to add an observation of mine. I have Zonealarm Security Suite 7.0.462 installed on two computers running XP.
    The one that displays this symptom is running Media Center with all the latest updates and IE7.
    The other is running XP Pro with all the latest updates and IE6. This one has not started the problem yet.
    Just wondering if the difference may be IE7 being present on the system? Anybody else what to chime in or their configuration?

skeezix Guest

Chime! Chime!! Chime!!!
    My OE6 hangs with ZA junk email filter enabled, just like the first post in this thread. Somebody mentioned "Media Center" and IE7. That rang a bell for me:
    Some time after IE 7 came out I let Microsoft automatically update IE from version 6 to version 7. I can't recall the details, but right after that some things that had always worked on my system were boogered, so I uninstalled IE7 and reinstalled IE6 (and OE6).
    Then I noticed messages indicating I was running Media Center. I could only have gotten that via the IE7 upgrade.
    I just upgraded my ZAISS to the latest version and still have the junk email filter problem, that is, it hangs OE6 and I have to use the Task Manager to turn it off.
    I wonder if something in that IE6-7 fiasco is causing my problem???

theoldman Guest

I have been conversing with ZoneLabs on the email problem They have had me do a clean remove and clean install. Same problem as befpre - When trying to reply or forward Outlook Express will close. Next they wanted me to remove the " buddyui.xml" and "emailaddr.xml" files. The last email is the best yet.

"Thank you for contacting ZoneAlarm Technical Support.

I understand that you are still having trouble with Outlook closing when sending a reply and with ZoneAlarm running. Please note that this could be an issue with Outlook and you may need to update or repair it.

This may be caused by a program conflicting with ZoneAlarm. To test this, please follow the information below. Please let us know what program or process, if any, is causing this issue.

Please clean your startup programs other than Zone Alarm and see if you still have the same issues. Click Start, Run, type Msconfig in the run box, and click OK. Once in Msconfig, click the Startup Tab, and remove the checks from everything except Zlclient.exe. Now click the Service Tab, place a check in "Hide All Microsoft Services." Now remove checks from everything other than TrueVector Internet Monitor, and click OK. Restart your computer and see if it works. If it works, go back into Msconfig and place checks back in five or so at a time and restart, so you can narrow down what is causing the conflict.

If my answer did not resolve your issue, or you would like further assistance on this issue, please reply to this email. By replying, and leaving the subject line intact, your response will come directly to me. If you have a separate issue you would like assistance with, please submit a new request using the website at http://www.zonealarm.com/tsform.

Thank you for choosing ZoneAlarm Security!"

Personally I think this is a bit beyond the scope of a regular user. I may or may not do this.

Thread Information