Sorry for the length of this in advance, but just wanted to show the possible incompetence of the
techs at ZA. I've had ZA ISS for approximately three years and really like many of the features of it. However, one of the major problems I encounter is that occasionally, the "Privacy" feature stops working. Following advice from the folks here in the forum, I go through the "Safe Mode" removal of the .rdb, .ldb and tmp files (which I feel should not be necessary each and every time - ZA should fix the problem). When I did it this time, however, it did not remedy the situation. So I sent a problem report and the following is what transpired:
My problem report to ZA...I continue to have a problem with the "Privacy" portion of ISS. It works okay for a certain period and then it stops automatically adding the new web sites that I visit...thus it does not allow me to set the controls to my liking. The only way around this is to "manually" add the web site, reboot and then adjust the settings...royal pain in the butt! I've looked on the forum and asked, but all I get is the instructions to go into the "safe" mode and delete the ".rdb, .ldb and tmp" files. I did that after doing a backup of my security settings. I emptied the recycle bin and then restored the security settings, but the privacy feature still doesn't work correctly...again - a royal pain! Could it be because I have too many web sites in the privacy site list? I would think it should allow unlimited listings, but it's just a guess. Can someone tell me what is wrong and how to fix it once and for all?!
ZA response #1

Hello Charles,

Thank you for your response. We recommend disabling these settings as your web browser has them built in. I apologize for the inconvenience.

If you have any further questions relating to this issue, please use the reply button in this email to send an email directly back to me. If you have another issue you would like assistance with please submit a new request using the website.

Thank you for choosing Zone Alarm,

Alan

Technical Service

ZoneAlarm, A Division of Check Point Software

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My response to that:

Alan,

Ummmm, and what web browser settings would that be?!

Chuck

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ZA response #2

Hello Chuck,

Thank you for your response. The settings would be the "Security settings" of your web browser.

If you have any further questions relating to this issue, please use the reply button in this email to send an email directly back to me. If you have another issue you would like assistance with please submit a new request using the website.

Alan

Technical Service

ZoneAlarm, A Division of Check Point Software

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My response to that

Alan,

You have me confused. What would the "Security settings" in my browser (Internet Explorer) have to do with the "Privacy" feature in ZA ISS? The privacy feature has worked for me on and off for quite some time and I haven't changed the IE security settings during that time...unless I'm way off, they should have no bearing on the ZA ISS problem.

Could you please pass this problem to another tech for verification, clarification and/or another look see at the problem I'm experiencing.

Chuck

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ZA response #3

Hello Chuck,

Thank you for your response. The security settings of your browser do the same thing as the privacy settings in ZA. We recommend running ZA with the privacy settings turned off so that they do not conflict each other. I apologize for the confusion.

Alan

Technical Service

ZoneAlarm, A Division of Check Point Software---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Now my question to all of the nice folks on this forum is, is Alan correct? I can't see how the IE security settings are doing the same job as the ZA ISS privacy settings. If so, why should I even use the ZA ISS? Even though I'm no computer whiz, I think he's way off base here. As I mentioned to him, the security settings in my IE haven't changed. So why should
the "Privacy" feature work okay for a while and then all of a sudden stop working... repeatedly? Plus, why wouldn't the "Safe Mode" routine that I did the other day not correct it? Could it be that when I did the backup of my privacy file, it may have had something corrupt and when I restored them, it brought that corruption back?
As mentioned to Alan, do you think the amount of entries in my privacy file (approximately 2500) causes this privacy
feature problem? I could delete them all and let it repopulate itself to see if that's the cause, but it kinda defeats the purpose of the "Privacy" feature.
Sorry for the length of this, but I wanted to convey the whole situation.Thanx,ChuckZ
ZA Security Suite 7.0.462.000True Vector 7.0.462.000Driver version 7.0.462.000Anti virus engine version 3, DAT file version 946237864anti spyware engine version 5.0.189.0 DAT file version 01.200803.3455Anti spam version 5.0.6.8903

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
Software Version:7.0
Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite