Thread: Continuing Privacy feature problem

chuckz Guest

Default Continuing Privacy feature problem

Sorry for the length of this in advance, but just wanted to show the possible incompetence of the
    techs at ZA. I've had ZA ISS for approximately three years and really like many of the features of it. However, one of the major problems I encounter is that occasionally, the "Privacy" feature stops working. Following advice from the folks here in the forum, I go through the "Safe Mode" removal of the .rdb, .ldb and tmp files (which I feel should not be necessary each and every time - ZA should fix the problem). When I did it this time, however, it did not remedy the situation. So I sent a problem report and the following is what transpired:
    My problem report to ZA...I continue to have a problem with the "Privacy" portion of ISS. It works okay for a certain period and then it stops automatically adding the new web sites that I visit...thus it does not allow me to set the controls to my liking. The only way around this is to "manually" add the web site, reboot and then adjust the settings...royal pain in the butt! I've looked on the forum and asked, but all I get is the instructions to go into the "safe" mode and delete the ".rdb, .ldb and tmp" files. I did that after doing a backup of my security settings. I emptied the recycle bin and then restored the security settings, but the privacy feature still doesn't work correctly...again - a royal pain! Could it be because I have too many web sites in the privacy site list? I would think it should allow unlimited listings, but it's just a guess. Can someone tell me what is wrong and how to fix it once and for all?!
    ZA response #1

Hello Charles,

Thank you for your response. We recommend disabling these settings as your web browser has them built in. I apologize for the inconvenience.

If you have any further questions relating to this issue, please use the reply button in this email to send an email directly back to me. If you have another issue you would like assistance with please submit a new request using the website.

Thank you for choosing Zone Alarm,

Alan

Technical Service

ZoneAlarm, A Division of Check Point Software

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My response to that:

Alan,

Ummmm, and what web browser settings would that be?!

Chuck

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ZA response #2

Hello Chuck,

Thank you for your response. The settings would be the "Security settings" of your web browser.

If you have any further questions relating to this issue, please use the reply button in this email to send an email directly back to me. If you have another issue you would like assistance with please submit a new request using the website.

Alan

Technical Service

ZoneAlarm, A Division of Check Point Software

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My response to that

Alan,

You have me confused. What would the "Security settings" in my browser (Internet Explorer) have to do with the "Privacy" feature in ZA ISS? The privacy feature has worked for me on and off for quite some time and I haven't changed the IE security settings during that time...unless I'm way off, they should have no bearing on the ZA ISS problem.

Could you please pass this problem to another tech for verification, clarification and/or another look see at the problem I'm experiencing.

Chuck

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ZA response #3

Hello Chuck,

Thank you for your response. The security settings of your browser do the same thing as the privacy settings in ZA. We recommend running ZA with the privacy settings turned off so that they do not conflict each other. I apologize for the confusion.

Alan

Technical Service

ZoneAlarm, A Division of Check Point Software---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Now my question to all of the nice folks on this forum is, is Alan correct? I can't see how the IE security settings are doing the same job as the ZA ISS privacy settings. If so, why should I even use the ZA ISS? Even though I'm no computer whiz, I think he's way off base here. As I mentioned to him, the security settings in my IE haven't changed. So why should
    the "Privacy" feature work okay for a while and then all of a sudden stop working... repeatedly? Plus, why wouldn't the "Safe Mode" routine that I did the other day not correct it? Could it be that when I did the backup of my privacy file, it may have had something corrupt and when I restored them, it brought that corruption back?
    As mentioned to Alan, do you think the amount of entries in my privacy file (approximately 2500) causes this privacy
    feature problem? I could delete them all and let it repopulate itself to see if that's the cause, but it kinda defeats the purpose of the "Privacy" feature.
    Sorry for the length of this, but I wanted to convey the whole situation.Thanx,ChuckZ
    ZA Security Suite 7.0.462.000True Vector 7.0.462.000Driver version 7.0.462.000Anti virus engine version 3, DAT file version 946237864anti spyware engine version 5.0.189.0 DAT file version 01.200803.3455Anti spam version 5.0.6.8903

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: Continuing Privacy feature problem

AFAIK, the ZA Privacy works before the browser settings gets a chance to take effect. All I have in the IE is block third party cookies and that works fine.
    Although you can stop activeX, scripts, etc in the IE and set up the safe sites, but it does take effort and time. Much easier for me to use Opera or perhaps even Firefox instead and completely skip the ZA Privacy feature.

If there are other security applications running on the PC - with seperate email scanners enabled with the ZA Mail Safe (use one or the other, but not both) or seperate cookie/web filtering or a different spy site blocking or extra network protection (or worm guard protection), then there could be a conflict with this and the ZA Privacy.
    This could be one source of the problem. Even some other networking application which does some sort of filtering running with the ZA could be a problem.

If the windows has experienced hard shutdowns or BSOD, or even mini crashes (freezing or lock ups), then the ZA files can be corrupted or seriously affected.

If the harddrive has developed issues or if the OS has also, then the ZA will have also issues.

I would suggest to uninstall the ZA and start fresh.
    Follow this advice:

First use the backup feature to save your settings in a .xml file for the later reinstall.
    Create the Backup from the Overview in the Preferences before starting, and then Restore afterwards. Save the .xml file somewhere in the doc's and settings.

Then to remove the ZA with the old license, but do it this way:

- Click on Start -> Programs -> Zone Labs
    - RIGHT-click on Uninstall ZoneAlarm, then select Properties
    - Under Target you will see the following line (the actual drive may
    be different on your system):

"C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninst.exe"

Change it to:

"C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninst.exe" /clean /rmlicense

(first add a space and then type in the /clean /rmlicense)

Use the Apply and OK in that window.

Open the Zone Alarm and disable the "Load Zone Alarm .. at startup" in the Preferences of the Overview. Then reboot. Now the Zone Alarm is completely off andnone of it's driver have not been started.

-Return to the Uninstall ZoneAlarm in the Zone Labs of the All Programs
    - Click OK to run the uninstaller, and OK any security alerts that
    pop up.
    - say "Yes when being prompted for the removal of all files.
    - Reboot
    - manually remove the files found inside these folders:

WINDOWS\ Internet Logs
    Program Files\Zone Labs
    WINDOWS\system32\ Zonelabs
    and the Temp folders found in the Document and Settings

- reboot
    - install the latest version
    download the ZAISS from here

- re-enter license key (copy and paste the license into the ZA firewall from a previously created .txt file placed on the desktop is usually the easiest).

-enter the new network found as trusted, answer the first few alerts and then use the Restore to re-establish your previous settings. Most of your previous entries and settings will be replaced (usually there are some areas where the ZA does not fully restore). But all the program entries and previous network and expert will be restored.

You may consider to go further:

Make sure your DNS and DHCP server IP's are in your Firewall's Trusted zone. Finding DNS and DCHP servers, etc

1. Go to Run and type in command and hit 'ok', and in the command then type in ipconfig /all then press the enter key. In the returned data list will be a line DNS and DHCP Servers with the IP address(s) listed out to the side. Make sure there is a space between the ipconfig and the /all, and the font is the same (no capitals).
    2. In ZA on your machine on the Firewall, open the Zones tab, click Add and then select IP Address. Make sure the Zone is set to Trusted. Add the DNS IP(s) .
    3. Click OK and Apply. Then do the same for the DHCP server.
    4. The localhost (127.0.0.1) must be listed as Trusted.
    5. The Generic Host Process (svchost.exe) as seen in the Zone Alarm's Program's list must have server rights for the Trusted Zone.
    Plus it must have both Trusted and Internet Access.

Oldsod.

Message Edited by Oldsod on 03-09-2008 09:06 AM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

chuckz Guest

Thanx Oldsod for your reply. You addressed my problem way better than the "paid professional" at ZA. I did as you said (I also emptied the recycle bin between dumping the different files and rebooting) and it appeared to work until I restored my security settings. Before doing that I logged into a new website and it loaded to the privacy file okay, but after I restored the settings, it wouldn't
    add any. So I tried something else....I deleted some of my already established sites in the privacy area. As I mentioned previously, I have around 2500 privacy listings and I was just wondering if there was a limit to how many one could/should have. I deleted around 50 - 75 and it appears to be working okay now.
    I just wish there was an easier way to fix these kind of problems and that ZA would try to resolve these situations a little better. I really appreciate all that the volunteers do here, but ZA gets paid to do it. Maybe y'all should get some of that money. HA! I like ZA a whole lot, but these kind of things get my dander up.
    Thanx,
    ChuckZ

<blockquote><hr>ChuckZ wrote:
    Thanx Oldsod for your reply. You addressed my problem way better than the "paid professional" at ZA. I did as you said (I also emptied the recycle bin between dumping the different files and rebooting) and it appeared to work until I restored my security settings. Before doing that I logged into a new website and it loaded to the privacy file okay, but after I restored the settings, it wouldn't
    add any. So I tried something else....I deleted some of my already established sites in the privacy area. As I mentioned previously, I have around 2500 privacy listings and I was just wondering if there was a limit to how many one could/should have. I deleted around 50 - 75 and it appears to be working okay now.
    I just wish there was an easier way to fix these kind of problems and that ZA would try to resolve these situations a little better. I really appreciate all that the volunteers do here, but ZA gets paid to do it. Maybe y'all should get some of that money. HA! I like ZA a whole lot, but these kind of things get my dander up.
    Thanx,
    ChuckZ
    <hr></blockquote>

Thank you very much for the pleasant compliments.

Restoring the settings will remove the previous adjustments or entries, so that does follow.

2500 entries? That is a lot. Are these for blocking various ads and unwanted sites mostly or just for the usual sites needed? There is a limit to the number of sites, but I am unsure as to what the exactly is the final number.

Your could try to supplement the ZA Privacy with something like a host file, as there are other host files available. You never even know the host file is used - it does not uses any pc resources. Just follow the instructions carefully (especially about the disable the dns client service) and the installer or bat can be avoided (the list can be copied and pasted into the host file of windows). A pure ad blocking ad filter can be found here, again just copy and paste the file into the host file. It is very big.

Or something like <a href=http://www.download.com/Webwasher/3640-2144_4-10048781.html"target=_"blank">Webwasher</a>. This does integrate into the Internet Explorer (if you select this option) and ads/flash/bad cookies/etc can be blocked "on the fly" while at the site from within the Internet Explorer without opening any programs. I use this with the Opera browser and have spent some time creating a personal block list (all wildcards like *doubleclick* to block all or any doubleclick sites) for the one section. I also use the premade list from here for the permanently always block list. It does log all files/site accessed by the browser (just manually clean the log file when it get over a few meg). Sites needed not to be filtered are easily entered as exemptions - just make sure your get all the associated sites listed too (the sites listed in the progress bar of the browser is usually sufficent for "seeing" the sites associated with the site in the address bar). The Internet Explorer will have to have the proxy server for the localhost (127.0.0.1) at port 8080 allowed, but if using the instructions in the installer properly this should get automatically added. But the host file will be skipped or passed over if using a proxy filter such as webwasher.

Okay neither of these will block activeX or certain various things (although the webwasher classic will block animation, private headers (referer), etc, but they do a fair job of blocking. I use Privoxy together with the webwasher classic, but this may be a too much of a challenge for many users. So maybe skip the privoxy.

You could take a look at IE7Pro. Besides the extras, it does have an ad blocker feature.

There are other commerical products such as superadblocker or admuncher available.

Best regards and thank you from all of the ZA helpers,
    Oldsod.

Message Edited by Oldsod on 03-13-2008 08:52 AM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information