Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ZA Site List Settings

truth_seeker Guest

Default ZA Site List Settings

Alright, since Fax told me to start another thread on this topic (even though one was already opened - but now is closed for some reason), and since he did not seem to even understand the problem that I (and I believe mariko57 was having as well -- Mariko57, if this does not represent the problem you are having, feel free to let me know so I don't misrepresent you), then I suppose I will attempt to clarify the problem here.
    My original message read as such:
    <blockquote>&quot;Hi,</blockquote><blockquote>I seem to be having the same issue. When the Privacy settings are enabled (I have been trying to use Cookie control on High and Ad Blocking on Medium) I cannot seem to get certain sites to load properly even if they are customized in the Site List. Amazon.com is a great example of this; it comes up with the following
    error when trying to load a page for a book:</blockquote><blockquote>vsmon.exe - Application Error</blockquote><blockquote>The exception unknown software exception (0xc0000409) occurred in the application at location 0x6246f2ee.</blockquote><blockquote>Ok[button] Cancel[button]</blockquote><blockquote>This is the only site that I have found that gives me that error, but I have found other sites that do not seem to work properly even though they are customized individually (Facebook as another example). The only way I can get it to work is by completely disabling the Privacy features in the Main section.&quot;</blockquote>
    Perhaps my mistake was in posting the specific Amazon.com error first when I should have added it after the main problem. I simply used Amazon.com as the severest example I have seen of the problem. But let me rehearse what the problem is in case there is confusion:
    1) ZoneAlarm has a feature called &quot;Privacy.&quot; It is very easy to find... it is right below &quot;Email Protection&quot; and right above &quot;Identity Protection.&quot;
    2) With this Privacy feature you may block cookies (session cookies, persistent cookies, 3rd party cookies, web bugs, private header information), block ads (banner/skyscraper ads, pop-up/pop-under, animations), and block mobile code (javascript, scripts/vbscripts, embedded object, mime-type integrated object).
    3) If the main privacy controls interfere with websites, one may customize individual websites under the &quot;Site List&quot; section. My impression of this feature is that it will over-ride the global settings in the &quot;Main&quot; section (i.e. if I am blocking all cookies on all websites but have www.zonealarm.org listed as allowing all of the cookies under the Site List, then zonealarm.org should be allowed to have
    the cookies while cookies should be blocked on all other sites).
    Ok, so what's the problem? If I have my Cookie Control settings on high and my Ad Blocking on Medium, then if I run into a website that doesn't work properly I can just customize it on the Site List, right? Well, that's the idea, right? The problem is that it doesn't seem to always work! Some sites do not load correctly even if they are customized on the Site List. In order to get them to work I have to completely disable the Privacy Controls. As other users have said on these forums, this defeats the purpose of having the entire Privacy feature (except for the Cache Cleaner, that's still useful ).
    Also, let me note that this is a problem that I have been having for some time with ZoneAlarm, even before version 8. I was always forced to disable the Privacy controls (completely, not for individual sites) because of this problem. So I have been paying for a program (and having to renew my subscription every 1-2 years) which does not even completely work. I've had to dump what I consider one of the valuable features of the program. When I came on here I was searching to see if anyone else was experiencing the problem so I didn't start another thread on something that was already dealt with. Some forum/admins do not like people starting numerous threads on the same topic, so I posted the problem on mariko57's thread because I was having the same problem. Apparently that is looked down upon here.

This following note is to Fax,
    I do not mean this to sound like a personal attack on you or anything like that, so please do not take it as such. But I do not believe you understood my problem or mariko57's problem.
    Mariko57 said,<blockquote>&quot;I just updated today version 80.059

However, that didn't help. The only way to view the page is to change the global settings to allow 3rd party cookies and allow private headers and to allow web bugs. This seems to defeat the whole purpose of ZA's privacy function.

Any other suggestions? Are others having this problem?&quot;
    </blockquote>Note specifically that he asked if others were having the same problem as he was. I replied saying that I was.
    You replied to his post and said,<blockquote>&quot;Hi!some sites will simply not work if you block cookies or content... so this is perfectly normal.You just need to customise the sites to work with ZA privacy control...
    Do you have a link to the site that I could test?
    Cheers,Fax&quot;</blockquote><div align="left">Now based off of that I do not think you understood Mariko57's post (Mariko, again, correct me if I am misrepresenting you). He just said that the individual site settings do not work but he has to disable the global controls, therefore defeating the features entire purpose. Your reply said that he simply had to customize the individual sites. But he just said that that did not work. Ok, maybe you read it hastily. I can understand that. You reply to alot of threads here and are probably very busy. But then you totally misunderstood my post as well... and then refused to reply to my clarification. I do not think this represents ZoneLabs very well. I mean, if this is the way tech support handles customers problems then soon enough you might loose customers. This would not be good, for the company or for the customers. I think ZoneAlarm, for all it's flaws and problems I have had over the years of being a paying customer, is still a great product (and certainly even greater if the bugs can be worked out). I have little problem with the tech support saying they do not have an answer to the problems in question, but to totally ignore the problems in question by setting up a straw-man type of problem and then answering to that just shows me that the tech support does not care enough to even acknowledge the problems. I trust that this is not the case with ZoneLabs and that this is just an isolated instance of misunderstanding. And again, I am not intending this note to you to sound overly-critical, I only wish to help make ZoneAlarm a better product and that the support behind it would become increasingly better as well.<div align="left">
    <div align="left">Sincerely,<div align="left">Adam<div align="left">
    <div align="left">UPDATE - I was forgetting that this forums was by users/third-party. So please disregard my message about ZoneAlarm's support in relation to this forum.

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Message Edited by truth_seeker on 10-20-2008 02:01 PM

Message Edited by truth_seeker on 10-20-2008 02:08 PM

Message Edited by truth_seeker on 10-20-2008 02:08 PM

Message Edited by truth_seeker on 10-20-2008 02:10 PM

Message Edited by truth_seeker on 10-20-2008 04:39 PM

Default Re: ZA Site List Settings

Hi!I guess the other thread was closed since you have hijack it.Your issue is different since you have vsmon crashing this is far more serious than simple site list issue.It is always good to let volunteers here to help users without trying to jump on other thread. It will make our life easier.Also please stick to the point. What is the problem, what you have done, what does not work and examples.This will help to get faster responses from other users.Can you post a site that does not work? Some time there are site that will simply NOT work if they detect a program filtering out content.Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Hello.
    First lets start off with a handshake and a statement.
    The statement is this a user's forum and not an official support forum.
    There are no employees from ZA/ZL/Checkpoint working these boards.
    Just fellow ZA users - such as yourself - and myself.
    We are all paying customers here.
    Thank you.

First a few tips about the Privacy.
    Then some more helps.

First tip is enable the Privacy Advisor.
    The ZA has no logging of allowed or blocked events (unfortunately).
    The only barely reliable method to actually see what is site contents are blocked and allowed is through those quick popups from the Privacy Advisor.

Second tip is always clean the bowser's file cache immediately after making refinements to the Privacy settings. Cleaning the browser's cache will force the browser to re-load the files from the site and load the previously missed files.

Third tip.
    It is actually best to adjust the sites in the Privacy listing via the right click of the listed site and select the Options. Then adjust the Mobiles Code, Ads and Cookies for the best settings.
    This does take some practise and expertise - it cannot be learnt quickly unless the filters are fully understood (I can explain these filters in further details if you wish).
    When I did use the Privacy of the ZA years ago, I usually first allowed all of the content and then immedately visited every web site for forums, logins, downloads, online media and games, updates for applications and for windows. etc.
    Once the list in the Privacy was populated with all of the needed sites, I then set the Privacy to maximum blocking and then enjoyed the internet security and privacy which the Privacy offers to ZA users.

Fourth tip.
    Occasionally the Parental Controls of the ZAISS will unintentionally filter out wanted content and sites.
    The best advice I can give to you is disable the parental controls, clean the browser cache and reload the site again in the browser.

Ok. Back to the main issues which is the sites are not properly working and a vsmon issue.
    This vsmon.exe software exception (0xc0000409) issue I have never seen before.
    I strongly suggest you contact ZA Technical support and report this issue.
    The Technical Support is free of charge by email.

https://www.zonealarm.com/store/cont...ch_support.jsp

Questions:
    Do you have any other security applications activley running or installed with the ZAISS on the computer?
    Any other security applications as antispyware or antivirus or perhaps some form of site/cookie/email/spam/ip filtering and so forth?

Which browser is involved? Internet Explorer or are all of the browsers involved?

Have you checked the Firewall and Program logs in the Log Viewer of the Logs and Alerts to see if the sites are blocked or are actually connected? It may not even be the Privacy at fault - it could be something else involved.
    You could post this logs. Please no editing of the logs and post as much as possible.
    (I need to see as much as possible)
    (Hint- the logs are found in the WINDOWS\Internet Logs folder and copy/paste is easier from the logs than manually entering from the Viewer)

Do all of the application/program updaters and windows update and the email client work properly?

Is this a desktop or a laptop?

Do you have a block list added to the windows's host file?

I may have a few more questions lfor you further on.

Now for some advicements.
    Lets start off with a reset of the ZA database first and then see if this clears the issues.
    Do this:

Boot your computer into the safe mode.

Navigate to the c:\windows\internet logs folder

Delete the backup.rdb, iamdb.rdb files in the folder

Clean the Recycle Bin

Reboot into the normal mode

[Also while in the Internet Logs folder, could you check to see if there are a few tvdebug.zips persent and could you please list all of the files seen in this folder? I would be especially interested to know if there are any *DB*.tmp, fwdb*.txt AND lspconflict.txt files in this folder. You can create this list while in the normal boot after the the safe boot visit.]

Immediately following the reboot back into the normal boot, the ZA will have a new network found windows. Select the Trusted Zone not the Internet.
    There will be a series of ZA Alerts - please use the Allow and Always buttons.

Next, please open the Zones of the Firewall of the ZA and confirm these following are added as Trusted not the Internet:
    Your DHCP and DNS servers and the Loopback (127.0.0.1) Address.
    (If you are uncertain for the exact DNS and DHCP server's IPs, these can be found in the ipconfig /all in the command prompt).
    It is important to allow the Generic Host Process (windows\system32\svchost.exe) both the Trusted and Internet Access and the Trusted server rights (seen in the ZA program listings).

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

truth_seeker Guest

Oldsod,
    Thanks for the clarification on the user forums. I will read over your advise and see if anything helps.

truth_seeker Guest

Default Re: ZA Site List Settings (Brief Update)

Ok, I just did a quick test with zonealarm.org and with the Privacy notifyer enabled. When visiting this site it says Private Header Blocked. If I add zonealarm.org to the list and check the allow Private Headers box and reload the page the notification no longer shows (thus implicating that Private Headers were allowed).
    So the individual site list does seem to be working, atleast in part. I'll see if I can find any specific situations when it fails to work properly and let you know.

truth_seeker Guest

First tip - Thanks, I'll pay some attention to what the site advisor is saying about what is being blocked to see whether the controls are working properly or not, and if not... which sites/pages the breakdown occurs.
    Second tip
    - Will give this a try although I do flush the browser's cache occasionally and even did so recently when trying these settings, so I doubt this is the issue involved.
    Third tip
    - Ok, I realize you can have more control over them that way. Thanks.
    Fourth tip - Will give this a try.
    Ok, I think I'm on to something with the vsmon / Amazon.com
    bug. Will get back to you on this.

truth_seeker Guest

Default Re: ZA Site List Settings (Amazon.com/vsmon.exe Update)

Alright, I think I figured out how to get Amazon.com to work properly. I had it listed as www.amazon.com in the site list, if I change this to just amazon.com (without the www.) then allow all the cookies/ads/privacy headers then the site works fine without the vsmon error. This might be related to the other problems I was having as well (making sure not to include the www.).
    UPDATE - Ok, it just crashed again - even with the settings allowing everything for amazon.com. But, after reloading the page it loaded properly. So whatever is going on I'm going to have to test this for awhile and see if the problem keeps coming up.

Message Edited by truth_seeker on 10-20-2008 05:50 PM

Default Re: ZA Site List Settings (Amazon.com/vsmon.exe Update)

Hi!sorry, one of your postshad to beremoved. Please stay on topic.Tried facebook with both cookies and adblocking at HIGH (mobile code OFF) and hadno issues.Any more specific example?Any other page?It seems something related to your local setup.Have you already tried to reset the settings of your ZA?Cheers,Fax

Message Edited by fax on 10-21-2008 01:31 AM

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

<blockquote><hr>Oldsod wrote:
    Hello.
    First lets start off with a handshake and a statement.
    The statement is this a user's forum and not an official support forum.
    There are no employees from ZA/ZL/Checkpoint working these boards.
    Just fellow ZA users - such as yourself - and myself.
    We are all paying customers here.
    Thank you.

First a few tips about the Privacy.
    Then some more helps.

First tip is enable the Privacy Advisor.
    The ZA has no logging of allowed or blocked events (unfortunately).
    The only barely reliable method to actually see what is site contents are blocked and allowed is through those quick popups from the Privacy Advisor.

Second tip is always clean the bowser's file cache immediately after making refinements to the Privacy settings. Cleaning the browser's cache will force the browser to re-load the files from the site and load the previously missed files.

Third tip.
    It is actually best to adjust the sites in the Privacy listing via the right click of the listed site and select the Options. Then adjust the Mobiles Code, Ads and Cookies for the best settings.
    This does take some practise and expertise - it cannot be learnt quickly unless the filters are fully understood (I can explain these filters in further details if you wish).
    When I did use the Privacy of the ZA years ago, I usually first allowed all of the content and then immedately visited every web site for forums, logins, downloads, online media and games, updates for applications and for windows. etc.
    Once the list in the Privacy was populated with all of the needed sites, I then set the Privacy to maximum blocking and then enjoyed the internet security and privacy which the Privacy offers to ZA users.

Fourth tip.
    Occasionally the Parental Controls of the ZAISS will unintentionally filter out wanted content and sites.
    The best advice I can give to you is disable the parental controls, clean the browser cache and reload the site again in the browser.

Ok. Back to the main issues which is the sites are not properly working and a vsmon issue.
    This vsmon.exe software exception (0xc0000409) issue I have never seen before.
    I strongly suggest you contact ZA Technical support and report this issue.
    The Technical Support is free of charge by email.

https://www.zonealarm.com/store/cont...ch_support.jsp

Questions:
    Do you have any other security applications activley running or installed with the ZAISS on the computer?
    Any other security applications as antispyware or antivirus or perhaps some form of site/cookie/email/spam/ip filtering and so forth?

Which browser is involved? Internet Explorer or are all of the browsers involved?

Have you checked the Firewall and Program logs in the Log Viewer of the Logs and Alerts to see if the sites are blocked or are actually connected? It may not even be the Privacy at fault - it could be something else involved.
    You could post this logs. Please no editing of the logs and post as much as possible.
    (I need to see as much as possible)
    (Hint- the logs are found in the WINDOWS\Internet Logs folder and copy/paste is easier from the logs than manually entering from the Viewer)

Do all of the application/program updaters and windows update and the email client work properly?

Is this a desktop or a laptop?

Do you have a block list added to the windows's host file?

I may have a few more questions lfor you further on.

Now for some advicements.
    Lets start off with a reset of the ZA database first and then see if this clears the issues.
    Do this:

Boot your computer into the safe mode.

Navigate to the c:\windows\internet logs folder

Delete the backup.rdb, iamdb.rdb files in the folder

Clean the Recycle Bin

Reboot into the normal mode

[Also while in the Internet Logs folder, could you check to see if there are a few tvdebug.zips persent and could you please list all of the files seen in this folder? I would be especially interested to know if there are any *DB*.tmp, fwdb*.txt AND lspconflict.txt files in this folder. You can create this list while in the normal boot after the the safe boot visit.]

Immediately following the reboot back into the normal boot, the ZA will have a new network found windows. Select the Trusted Zone not the Internet.
    There will be a series of ZA Alerts - please use the Allow and Always buttons.

Next, please open the Zones of the Firewall of the ZA and confirm these following are added as Trusted not the Internet:
    Your DHCP and DNS servers and the Loopback (127.0.0.1) Address.
    (If you are uncertain for the exact DNS and DHCP server's IPs, these can be found in the ipconfig /all in the command prompt).
    It is important to allow the Generic Host Process (windows\system32\svchost.exe) both the Trusted and Internet Access and the Trusted server rights (seen in the ZA program listings).

Oldsod.
    <hr></blockquote>
    Yes finding the sites and doing the adjustments can be exciting, but I would like you to follow all of the advice in my post and reply with the required answers.
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

truth_seeker Guest

Yes, I said I would... I was investigating whether the vsmon error was fixed and I've been busy with other things and have not had time to go through your whole list yet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information