Thread: High CPU Usage by VSMON.EXE

Hybrid View

sparky_watts Guest

Default High CPU Usage by VSMON.EXE

I've spent the last hour and a half searching this site for answers to my specific problem, and haven't found anything directly related, so here goes:

Background-Windows XP SP2, Outlook Express, Zone Alarm Security Suite 8.0.059.000

My problem is two-fold, though I suspect one is a direct result of the other. Yesterday I downloaded the newest version of Zone Alarm Security Suite (8.0 something). Once it was installed, I noticed I was haveing problems with any program I tried to run locking up intermittently (but quite frequently). A quick check of CPU Usage with Task Manager showed that vsmon.exe and scanningprocess were chewing up my CPU, maxing it out at 100% on a frequent intermittent basis. A few quick google searches revealed the issue is with Zone Alarm scanning my email constantly, even though the email program wasn't open. The searches also stated that disabling email scanning would resolve the problem. However, when I attempted to do so on the Email tab, vsmon would continue to peg my CPU. I tried resetting it and rebooting, but the email virus protection check tab would turn itself back on, despite anything I tried to do to turn it off, and the CPU would still peg. The Help section gave these instructions:

==========

To enable or disable E-mail scanning:

Select Anti-virus / Anti-spyware.
    In the Protection area, click Advanced Options.
    The Advanced Options dialog appears.

Under Virus Management, select E-mail Scanning.
    Select or clear the Enable E-mail Scanning check box, then click OK.

=======

However, when I attempted to disable email scanning in this manner, I found that there was no "E-Mail Scanning" option under Virus Management.

Does anyone have any experience with this issue, and if so, have you found a workable solution for it?

Thanks in advance, Sparky.

PS: I forgot to mention the secondary problem that I think is related. When the CPU is throwing it's conniption fits, I have to retry to open pages in the browser a few times because I get the error message that the server is taking too long to respond. It doesn't matter which browser I use (firefox, Internetexploder), nor does it matter which page I am attempting to view.

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Message Edited by Sparky-Watts on 11-02-2008 10:57 AM

sparky_watts Guest

Default Re: High CPU Usage by VSMON.EXE

Hello? Anybody?

The problem has now gotten so bad, I have had to turn off Zone Alarm completely. Every time I try to open a new web page with it on, I get the "server busy" error and have to retry it several times. Now it has started giving me the BSOD every 20-30 minutes.

Is there any way I can go back to the 7.0 version of Zone Alarm? I am frustrated to the point of deleting the entire program and getting something better.

naivemelody Guest

Default Re: High CPU Usage by VSMON.EXE - downgrade

Click here > http://forums.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/...ssage.id=73645
    - there is un-install and re-install instructions for 7.1.254<hr>Write down the license key and paste on the re-install. Follow tips and guidelines in the link.

Message Edited by NaiveMelody on 11-03-2008 06:54 PM

sparky_watts Guest

Default Re: High CPU Usage by VSMON.EXE - downgrade

<blockquote><hr>NaiveMelody wrote:
    Click here &gt; http://forums.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/...ssage.id=73645 - there is un-install and re-install instructions for 7.1.254<hr>Write down the license key and paste on the re-install. Follow tips and guidelines in the link.

Message Edited by NaiveMelody on 11-03-2008 06:54 PM
    <hr></blockquote>

Thanks, that worked. Man, what a pain! I just went back to the 7.XXXXXX version.

Message Edited by Sparky-Watts on 11-04-2008 04:08 AM

Thread Information