Thread: Privacy Settings Cause Websites to Fail?

srschacher Guest

Default Privacy Settings Cause Websites to Fail?

I am running ZoneAlarm Security Suite version 8.0.059.000 on an HP Pavillion dv7t notebook computer with Windows Vista Home Premium SP-1 32-bit.
    On some websites (examples: www.amazon.com, www.grc.com, but there are others) if either the Cookie Control or Ad Blocking is set to anything other than Off, the sites will not load regardless of site overrides.
    I was forced to turn these features off and use Internet Explorer cookie control to globally manage my settings.
    What are the Privacy controls doing that they are incompatible with certain websites? What is ZoneAlarm doing to fix this so that all the features of their product work?
    I was not having this problem when running the latest release of version 7 on my other computer running Windows XP. When I tried the first version 8 release on that computer, this problem arose there, too. However, version 7 is not compatible with Vista, so I'm forced to run version 8 and disable the Privacy features.
    Thanks,Steve

Operating System:Windows Vista Home Premium
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: Privacy Settings Cause Websites to Fail?

Hi!not sure whats wrong there but I have no problem broswing to, for example, amazon.com.Had only to allow 'web bugs' on "z-ecx.images-amazon.com". To see it properly.Tested using cookies on high, adblocking on high and mobile code OFF on IE7.Probably some other local conditions making ZA failing, like router, proxies, add-ons, etc..Very difficult to troubleshoot.By the way, ZA staff does not monitor this board. We are all users here.If you have a valid license you can contact, free of charge, the ZA technical support at: www.zonealarm.com/tsform Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

srschacher Guest

Thanks for replying so quickly, and thanks for the ZA contact info.
    I am a long-time ZA user. This is a brand-new computer with not much loaded on it by me. I'm curious to know what router conditions might be causing this to happen. I am using a wireless router to connect. Is there something I should look for?
    Steve

Hi!certain routers contain already filtering of content (e.g. recent Linksys models), you may want to cross check that the router is configure accordigly and updated to the latest firmware.Also ensure that relevant entries in ZA firewall zone for DNS and DCHP are listed and correspond to your connection.If not already there you may want to add the IP of the router to the trusted zone if this makes any difference.As already mentioned, I don't understand why ZA Privacy completely fail for you.I can't reproduce it here. If not already done you could also try to reset the ZA settings in case your ZA databases are corrupted.Try to remove anyother AV/AS or complementary security tool you have installed (apart from windows defender) since ZASS does not play nice with many of them.Apart from this, I don't really know what to suggest.Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

srschacher Guest

Thanks,Steve

slroberts Guest

You are not alone.
    I have been trying to get my ZoneAlarm privacy settings to work for quite a while.
    I am running ver 8.0.059.000 with WinXP SP3 on
    HP Pavilions zd7000 and
    dv9500t.
    I gave up on Vista some time ago, but that is another story.
    Several websites will not work with any privacy setting but totally off.
    Site overrides seem to have no effect.
    To your list I would add www.comcast.net/tv/tv-listings/, www.homedepot.com, www.MyHeritage.com, and several shopping websites.
    My investigation has been complicated by the fact that a change to the privacy settings does not seem to take effect immediately.
    Some changes only seem to take effect after a reboot.
    Also, shutting down ZA by right clicking on its icon does not always seem to stop the problem.
    You have to totally unload ZA by stopping it from loading at boot-up time.
    Some websites are effected by the cookies control and some by the ad control.
    The Comcast TV listings site is one that is disabled by the ad control.
    After trying all of the "fixes" suggested in these forums, such as doing a ZA reset, doing a complete uninstall and clean reinstall, and changing individual website privacy settings, not one of which worked, I finally went back to version 7.0.483.000 and discovered that it has more or less the same problems.
    Why I never noticed this before is a mystery.
    Comcast recently totally changed their website, and I only recently started using the MyHeritage website,
    so that explains those.
    The only explanation for the shopping websites is that I must not have tried to turn on the privacy settings in version 7.
    They are off by default.
    I have reported this problem to ZA Tech Support (Tech Support Ticket: Other ISSUE=671925 PROJ=4), but their only suggestion was the reset, which did not work.

I have received no further response from them.
    Maybe I will try again now that I have more detailed information and know what does not fix the problem.
    I am especially puzzled that website overrides do not work.
    Another Steve

Thread Information