Thread: Security vulnerability with the ZASS spam filter

stlaura Guest

Default Security vulnerability with the ZASS spam filter

Something has been bothering me for a while with the ZASS spam filter.
    My reading pane is open.
    The ZASS junk e-mail filter sends spam it catches to a folder called ZoneAlarm Junk Mail which is, as best I can tell, just a plain and ordinary folder. Images keep popping up in the reading pane. At first I thought that the images were simply embedded in the e-mail but after a while, I noticed a lag between selecting an e-mail and the image popping up.
    After switching to any folder an e-mail is always selected. If that e-mail contains HTML code to download a picture,
    the picture is downloaded.
    If this takes place in the ZoneAlarm Junk Mail folder on a true spam, the picture is downloaded and the sender gets confirmation of the e-mail address.
    The ZASS filter catches 5-10% of the spam I get so it plays small a role on my system. It does capture a fair amount of false negatives so the folder has to be checked. This means that an e-mail filtered by the ZASS filter actually winds up with a higher probability of being looked at! This is bad.
    Back on 07-06-2006 fvilleneuve discussed another aspect of the same issue: http://forums.zonealarm.org/zonelabs...thread.id=6721
    The MS Outlook junk e-mail filter sends spam it catches to a folder called Junk E-mail. That folder has special properties. E-mails moved to that folder have URLs, and HTML code disabled or blocked (I don t know). No pictures get loaded. Clicking on a link in an e-mail in that folder does nothing. E-mails in that folder are completely isolated. Most of the spam I get goes here. The filter reliable to the point where I have stopped checking it for false negatives. This is safe. This is good.
    Can the ZoneAlarm Junk Mail folder be made to behave like the Junk E-mail folder? It seems that this would be a ZoneAlarm responsibility. But they haven t done it yet so can anyone help?
    Using a rule to move e-mails from the ZoneAlarm Junk Mail folder to the Junk E-mail folder might work but is suboptimal because of the false negatives that have little hope of being found in the Junk E-mail folder.
    I suppose I could shut off the ZASS filter. But I paid for it!
    So,
    Suggestions? Ways forwards?
    Thank you

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: Security vulnerability with the ZASS spam filter

Hi!just uncheck the reading panel for the ZA junk folders.In Outlook you can selectively (by folder) decide which folder to see or not to see.Just go to the ZA junk folder and then under view drop-down menu turn off the viewing panel.Recent Outlook programs do not download any picture by default. Are you using an old version?Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

stlaura Guest

I am using Outlook 2003.
    Turning off the reading pane is a good idea. Thanks.
    I know what you are saying about Outlook not automatically downloading images. I moved a spam around between Inbox and Outlook and
    ZA junk folders. The images coded into the e-mail did not download.
    I'll be more watchful the next time the problem repeats itself and come back with a better description.

You're welcome!Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information