Thread: So ZAISS doesn't do any real virus checking of emails?

kritiker Guest

Default So ZAISS doesn't do any real virus checking of emails?

Do I understand correctly that ZAISS/Mailsafe doesn't really check inbound and outbound emails for viruses or spyware?

It seems to me that inbound email attachments are quarantined based on their extension only. Scanning them "on access" is adequate to protect me, I suppose, but it doesn't prevent me from forwarding emails with infected attachments, perhaps attachments I haven't opened, does it?

I am not sure what to make of "Outbound Mailsafe halts outgoing e-mail that displays virus-like activity". Is outbound e-mail checked for viruses or not? Is all outbound e-mail virus checked? Am I protected from forwarding an infected email whose attachment I may not have opened? Am I protected from sending an otherwise infected email?

So what kind of virus protection do people use for email that can coexist with ZAISS, especially with Eudora. (I know that the spam filter (Junk E-mail Filter) doesn't work with Eudora. Fortunately Eudora and my ISP both have effective spam filters.) I have access to F-Prot and Trend anti virus products in addition to the usual free ones. What about Vipre? Will these anti virus products coexist with XAISS? If I turn off the inbound/outbound Mailsafe & Junk Email filter? What do people do?

If I have misunderstood anything, I apologize, in advance. Thanks.

Message Edited by Kritiker on 11-23-2008 02:24 AM

Default Re: So ZAISS doesn't do any real virus checking of emails?

True.
    But understand when any malicious file is opened it will be immediately stopped by the resident antivirus scanner; this includes any email or email attachment when they are opened.
    So yes there is the initial filtering by file extension only and then the actual scanning of the file when it is opened.
    But keep in mind the file extension are a threat - this is why corporate/enterprise filter by file extensions at their gateway/external firewall.

This seems to apply to most email scanners - recently traded some troyans and malware with a friend via email. Just changing the file extensions of the malware to just a .txt file extension; this defeated the Norton email scanner (provider's scanner) and our own scanners (ESET and Avira). Any malware sent as .txt would bypass the filters and scanners (and so would password saved compressed files). However the .txt extensions would render the malware harmless and these would not active.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

kritiker Guest

Hmmmm, not quite what I expected but very illuminating. I'll have to think about it a bit more. Thanks.

You are welcome.
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

kritiker Guest

<blockquote><hr>Oldsod wrote:
    True.
    But understand when any malicious file is opened it will be immediately stopped by the resident antivirus scanner; this includes any email or email attachment when they are opened.
    So yes there is the initial filtering by file extension only and then the actual scanning of the file when it is opened.
    But keep in mind the file extension are a threat - this is why corporate/enterprise filter by file extensions at their gateway/external firewall.

This seems to apply to most email scanners - recently traded some troyans and malware with a friend via email. Just changing the file extensions of the malware to just a .txt file extension; this defeated the Norton email scanner (provider's scanner) and our own scanners (ESET and Avira). Any malware sent as .txt would bypass the filters and scanners (and so would password saved compressed files). However the .txt extensions would render the malware harmless and these would not active.

Oldsod.
    <hr></blockquote>

OK, I've thought about it a bit more and I can see that I am reasonably well protected when it comes to inbound emails.

I am not sure, though, what to make of &quot;Outbound Mailsafe halts outgoing e-mail that displays virus-like activity&quot;. Is outbound e-mail checked for viruses or not? Am I prevented from forwarding an infected email whose attachment I have not opened and which therefore has not been scanned and quarantined? Am I prevented from sending an otherwise infected email?

If ZoneAlarm doesn't protect outound emails, what kind of virus/malware protection do people use for email that can coexist with ZAISS, especially with Eudora. (I know that the spam filter (Junk E-mail Filter) doesn't work with Eudora. Fortunately Eudora and my ISP both have effective spam filters.) I have access to F-Prot and Trend anti virus products in addition to the usual free ones. What about Vipre? Will these anti virus products coexist with ZAISS? If I turn off the inbound/outbound Mailsafe &amp; Junk Email filter? What do people do?

<blockquote><hr>Kritiker wrote:
    <blockquote><hr>Oldsod wrote:
    True.

Oldsod.
    <hr></blockquote>

OK, I've thought about it a bit more and I can see that I am reasonably well protected when it comes to inbound emails.

I am not sure, though, what to make of "Outbound Mailsafe halts outgoing e-mail that displays virus-like activity". Is outbound e-mail checked for viruses or not? Am I prevented from forwarding an infected email whose attachment I have not opened and which therefore has not been scanned and quarantined? Am I prevented from sending an otherwise infected email?

If ZoneAlarm doesn't protect outound emails, what kind of virus/malware protection do people use for email that can coexist with ZAISS, especially with Eudora. (I know that the spam filter (Junk E-mail Filter) doesn't work with Eudora. Fortunately Eudora and my ISP both have effective spam filters.) I have access to F-Prot and Trend anti virus products in addition to the usual free ones. What about Vipre? Will these anti virus products coexist with ZAISS? If I turn off the inbound/outbound Mailsafe & Junk Email filter? What do people do?

<hr></blockquote>

Outgoing mail is not checked for viruses/worms/malware per sec, just the behaviour or characteristics of malware.
    The outgoing mail controlled by the mailsafe limits of the specified number of emails per a specified time period per the whitelisted email recipients.
    In other words, any malware attempting to send an unusual number of emails, too often to the not whitelisted recipients is blocked and alerted.
    This is besides the fact that the full time antivirus should stop the malware in the very first place, thus avoiding the problem of having outgoing spam/unwanted sent emails by some form of malware.

As for these other security products, I can not say anything or tell you anything.
    I use an other antirivial product (along with my ZA Pro) not mentioned by you.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

kritiker Guest

Thank you. Much appreciated.

You are welcome Kritiker.
    Best regards.
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information