Thread: blocking flash ads

Hybrid View

djcovarrubias Guest

Default blocking flash ads

Is there a way to block macromedia flash ads for a specific website?
    Specifically, I'm trying to block annoying flash ads in the yahoo games server.
    In order for the games to load, I need to have pop-up and banner ads unblocked, and the javascript and embedded objects mobile code unblocked.
    Is there a way to block the flash program itself from running from this page?
    I've looked under program control and I don't see an entry for it.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: blocking flash ads

"I've looked under program control and I don't see an entry for it."

and you won't - it is not there to be found or applied in this situation.

The best approach (other than blocking off the individual flash ads as per the cprresponding server as seen in the Privacy list) is block the offending server in the Zones.

Check your logs in the Log Viewer for the offending sites, then add these sites to the Blocked Zone in the Firewall of the ZA.

These could be blocked inside of the browser(s) too, not just within the firewall.

Also it would help to know what site is actually involved (urls, please) to help you further to block the content/sites and which browser (s) is being used for further blocking techniques.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

djcovarrubias Guest

Thanks for the info.
    I'm not finding the info on the sites to block on the log viewer.
    The ads I'm trying to block are in the following web page:
    <a target="_blank">http://games.yahoo.com/play/ch&amp;jch=y&amp;ss=1</a>
    Because I want the games to work, games.yahoo.com in the privacy site list is set to allow banner/skyscrapper ads and pop-up ads, and also to allow javacript and embedded objects.
    What I would like to do is block the macromedia flash player running in the web page without affecting the java program that runs the game.
    Looking at the site list in the privacy settings, I see a bunch of sites listed that I know I haven't visited, such as:
    ad.yieldmanager.com, ads.pointroll.com, and many others.
    Are these the sites you were suggesting to block?
    Is the information for the ads displayed in the webpage somehow dowloaded out of those other URLs? (maybe this is what an &quot;embedded&quot; object is?).
    I tried changing the privacy settings to block everything for these suspicious
    URLs and the internet stopped working.
    Came back to life when I erased the URLs from the privacy list.
    Is there a better way to block these ads?
    Thanks again for your help, sorry I'm such a neophyte.

EXACTLY!!
    "ad.yieldmanager.com, ads.pointroll.com, and many others" is the stuff you probably do not want!
    I like to help the "neophytes", so you are in luck!
    Plus I detest these unwanted ads/banners/trackers/counters/etc.

You are the right track. These unwanted files can be easily found these ways (using the Internet Explorer, which I shall assume you are using).
    [*]Open the Documents and Settings, to your User name, then open the Local Settings folder and then the Temporary Internet Files folder and all of the items collected by your Internet Explorer are in plain sight.
    Ads, trackers and counters, cookies and html files all used by the IE are all listed/shown here.
    [*]Any web page "html" can be read by right clicking the page and selecting "Source" in the menu. IE usually show the Source in the notepad.exe, whereas the other browsers will show the html within the browser itself. All sent or wanted to be sent files (cookies, js, flash, banners, ads, third party files, etc) are listed. This is helpful in finding the hard to see associated urls and files.
    [*]Often the "mouse" over shows the associated URL for the image/ad/banner.
    But not always, as with this particular site for the yahoo chess site. In this situation right click the image in the web page and open the Properties. Now the url and the details of the image are plainly seen in the new menu or window.

<hr>

In the ZA firewall the ads/junk are blocked off like this:

To add an unwanted Site to the Blocked Zone:
    Open the ZA | open the Firewall | open the Zones | click the Add button or right click almost anywhere in the right panel.
    Select the Host/Site option (if the url is not known) and type in the unwanted url in the Host name, select "Blocked" in the Zone drop down menu, give it a description of your choice and let the ZA do the dns lookups for the unwanted url.Then "Ok" the window and use the Apply (in the lower right corner).
    If the unwanted site is seen in the Logs of the Log viewer, then click the site entry in the Logs, select the "Add to Zone" and then select "Blocked".
    The ZA will automatically add this site to the Blocked Zone for you - this is such a very easy method and this is a quick way to block the junk.

<hr>

Internet Explorer as it is seen in the default configuration or "ads and all":

Open the Control Panel (or the Tools of the Internet Explorer), then open the Internet options, and then open the "Security" tab, and click the "Restricted Sites" in the nice zone menu with the images:

and select the "Sites" button:

To the Resticted Sites I just added these:

http://ads.yimg.com
    http://content.yieldmanager.edgesuite.net
    http://richmedia.yimg.com
    http://wa.marketingsolutions.yahoo.com

Looks like this:

The Internet Explorer with the use of the Restricted Sites for the yahoo chess site now looks like this:

How the web site looks like in Firefox with the AdblockPlus addon enabled (note: the Firefox's adblockplus is easy to use - install and it updates itself, hence no fuss or effort):

How the site looks like in Opera with customized adblocking .css and .js used only for blocking (note: the custom adblocking .css and .js for the Opera does take effort):

Okay you just "adblocking 101".
    There are so many ways to block unwanted files in the browser, it is impossible to give you a breakdown in one post.
    You may want to look very carefully at this post and google some of the keywords for the details:

http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...ssage.id=53009

But do not hesitate to reply with newer questions or points not properly understood.
    There are many unleft said things or points (like javascript or .js is not Java - these are two different things all together).

Best regards.
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

nkeklund Guest

If you use Mozilla Firefox, there's a great extension (also referred often as an add-on), called &quot;Adblock Plus&quot;. I recommend downloading and installing it. It makes a big difference! You can disable it on a certain webpage or an entire domain. You can really customize it to show certain ads, etc.

<blockquote><hr>nkeklund wrote:
    If you use Mozilla Firefox, there's a great extension (also referred often as an add-on), called "Adblock Plus". I recommend downloading and installing it. It makes a big difference! You can disable it on a certain webpage or an entire domain. You can really customize it to show certain ads, etc.
    <hr></blockquote>

Works only for the Firefox/Mozilla browsers.
    It did seem the OP was using the IE browser so I concentrated on the IE 's site blocking using the restricted sites is the usual method (other than an addon such as IE7Pro).
    (even though I did give screen shots for the firefox and opera with filtering ... just for fun)

Probably the next easiest way for blocking inside of the IE is either with a dedicated host file for blocking bad sites or something like IESpyAds (even though it is getting out of date).

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information