Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problem in Outloot Express when using "REPLY" or "FORWARD"

beachbarb Guest

Default Problem in Outloot Express when using "REPLY" or "FORWARD"

Problem in Outloot Express when using "REPLY" or "FORWARD".
    ZoneAlarm drops me completely out of e-mail!!??

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:5.x
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

findley Guest

Default Re: Problem in Outloot Express when using "REPLY" or "FORWARD"

<blockquote><hr>beachbarb wrote:
    Problem in Outloot Express when using &quot;REPLY&quot; or &quot;FORWARD&quot;. ZoneAlarm drops me completely out of e-mail!!??

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version: 5.x
    Product Name: ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

<hr></blockquote>

beachbarb,

have you seen this thread on this issue:
    http://forum.zonealarm.com/zonelabs/...thread.id=9474

Findley

Default Re: Problem in Outloot Express when using "REPLY" or "FORWARD"

Join the club ! Other threads reporting similar if not the same issue:
    http://forum.zonealarm.com/zonelabs/...thread.id=9474
    http://forums.zonealarm.com/zonelabs...essage.id=9874
    http://forums.zonealarm.com/zonelabs...essage.id=9662

One problem with this forum structure is that unresolved threads drift down.

I've been having the Outlook Express crashing several times per day for 6 months now. I've installed new versions - did not help. I'm not aware that there is a general solution after reviewing the threads. One symptom in my case is that when I crash and reload Outlook express there is always an email waiting to be processed by the junk mail.

Is there a way for us to turn the automatic junk mail processing off and do it manually at a time convenient for us.

Anyone have a solution??

Default Is the only solution to stop junk mail filtering

I examined the thread you mentioned which was listed and it seems the only solution found is to turn off junk mail filtering? If we turn off filtering is there a way to manually filter? That might work for me. It is getting very old losing my emails as I try to pick who to send to.

There was some discussion that perhaps some other unknown program may be causing the issue, but seems strange since the issue is intermittent and always seems to involve running a junk mail scan with new incoming emails immediately after the issue.

findley Guest

Default Re: Is the only solution to stop junk mail filtering

<blockquote><hr>DenverDave wrote:
    I examined the thread you mentioned which was listed and it seems the only solution found is to turn off junk mail filtering? If we turn off filtering is there a way to manually filter? That might work for me. It is getting very old losing my emails as I try to pick who to send to.

There was some discussion that perhaps some other unknown program may be causing the issue, but seems strange since the issue is intermittent and always seems to involve running a junk mail scan with new incoming emails immediately after the issue.
    <hr></blockquote>DenverDave,
    The only solution I have seen in this forum is turning off the junk filter - to my knowledge, this issue remains open. You can manually filter through Outlook Express by creating your own email rules - called message rules in Outlook Express.
    If you need them here are some links:
    Create Outlook Express message ruleshttp://www.webdevelopersnotes.com/ti...sage_rules.php
    Stopping or preventing Spam using Outlook Express message ruleshttp://www.webdevelopersnotes.com/ti...ok_express.php
    Findley

Hi Findley

Thank you very much for the reply. At least I know I'm not missing anything. I guess I'll look into turning the junk mail filtering off, keep the zonealarm firewall, keep the anti-virus and look into using another junk mail program. Any suggestions for junk mail filtering that works with zonealarm without crashing Outlook Express?

findley Guest

<blockquote><hr>DenverDave wrote:
    Hi Findley

Thank you very much for the reply. At least I know I'm not missing anything. I guess I'll look into turning the junk mail filtering off, keep the zonealarm firewall, keep the anti-virus and look into using another junk mail program. Any suggestions for junk mail filtering that works with zonealarm without crashing Outlook Express?
    <hr></blockquote>Hi DenverDave,
    You are very welcome.
    I'm not using a 3rd party junk mail filter with Outlook Express - I use message rules which works nicely for my needs.
    It also has gotten my email better organized by categorizing stuff.
    But mostly I use web mail - free, easy and spam blocked before it gets to the inbox.
    I see in another threadhttp://forums.zonelabs.com/zonelabs/...hread.id=10018
    user leibel
    recommends SPAMFIGHTER, if you check it out please post back your experience with it or if you go to some other 3rd party filter - please share your experiences and help other users with the same issue.
    Best regards,Findley

Message Edited by Findley on 04-11-2008 07:50 AM

Default Confirming Junk Mail Filtering is the cause of crash

I suppose step 1 is to confirm that the Junk Mail filtering is the cause of the crash. I'm knocked out of Outlook Express almost every day and usually several times a day. 2 or 3 times just this evening. So running for a few days without Junk Mail Filtering should determine if the Junk Mail is the culprit and not something unrelated to ZoneAlarm. Has anyone else tried this test?

Here goes - turned the Junk Mail filtering off in Zone Alarm Pro.

garywa Guest

I've been involved in several threads here about the junk email filter hanging OE6 and/or not being able to forward messages without it crashing OE6.
    It is still happening under the latest release:
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:7.0.470.000
    TrueVector version:7.0.470.000
    Driver version:7.0.470.000
    Anti-virus engine version:3
    Anti-virus SDK version:5.0.1.85
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:949253865
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.189.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200804.3715
    AntiSpam version:5.0.6.8903
    I still have the junk email filter turned off on both my PCs.
    Here's an old thread from last year - nothing has changed since:
    http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...essage.id=9474

Default Confirmed - Junk mail causes Outlook Express Crash

I turned off Junk Mail filtering and ran Outlook Express for a couple of days without incident. Turned Junk Mail filtering back on and no incident the first day, but 2nd day knocked out of Outlook Express. Now turned off again. At this point I'm convinced that Junk Mail filtering is the culprit - if anyone else has other information - please say so.

The question is what to do now.

10 years ago, I and everyone else that I knew used Norton. Now no one that I know uses Norton and most of us use Zone Alarm. I do recommend Anti-Virus, Firewalls and Email filters to my clients.

After Norton and before Zone Alarm I used a combination of tools. This was more expensive and I felt that when I switched to all products from one company that things ran smoother and faster. I could now try another product like
    Spamfighter with Zone Alarm firewall and Anti-Virus, but I'm leery of getting back to a multi vendor solution.

Given this audience, I assume that everyone here prefers Zone Alarm - but what would our 2nd integrated solution be?

If we used Zone Alarm Anti-Virus and Firewall, but another spam filter - what would the best spam filter be?

At this point - Zone Alarm Spam filter is back off - don't wish to lose my work each day as Zone Alarm Junk Mail Filter crashes Outlook Express.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information