Thread: ZASS 8.0.298 cannot open ZMA attachment

kermit Guest

Default ZASS 8.0.298 cannot open ZMA attachment

I'm running ZASS 8.0.298 on Vista Business x64 and Outlook 2007. This is a reasonably new build but previously I did have ZAES beta installed. When ZAES was officially released there was no upgrade path and after a couple of weeks I performed a clean uninstall and installed the latest of ZASS.

I just received an email in Outlook 2007 that has an attachment that was compressed using WinRAR and sent via Outlook 2007. When I receive the email I see the attachment and it now has an extension of "zma" and I cannot get to the contents of the attachment.
    (1) If I drag & drop to a Windows Explorer folder it keeps the "zma" extension.
    (2) If I right-click on the attachment and select "save as" and keep the filetype, once saved to my HD I cannot do anything with the file. If I change the filetype to "doc" and then attempt to open the saved file, it opens but is junk.
    (3) If I right-click on the attachment and select Open - Outlook then hangs and I'm forced to kill it in the task manager.

Operating System:Windows Vista 64 bit
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: ZASS 8.0.298 cannot open ZMA attachment

Hi!usually its enough to double click on it. You should then receive a pop-up from ZA warning you.Cheers,Fax

Message Edited by fax on 03-16-2009 08:59 PM

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

kermit Guest

Double-clicking produces the same results, e.g. Outlook hangs and I have to force it closed and then restart. ZASS is NOT opening the attachment and allowing me to save it. The attachment is a 7MB WinRAR file. The guy that sent it is running WinXP and Office 2007 and he used WinRAR to compress the file.

Hi!then there is a problem with your ZA install....Uncheck ZA incoming e-mail protection or reinstall ZA.Fax

kermit Guest

OK I just performed a clean uninstall, rebooted, removed the folders specified in the clean uninstall instructions, rebooted, started outlook and still the attachment has an extension of ZMA and of course I cannot open the attachment.

Hi!sorry, no idea what is going on there.... Try to contact ZA technical support: www.zonealarm.com/tsformPlease post back so we know how it works.Cheers,Fax

kermit Guest

Tonight I've spent several hours troubleshooting this issue and discovered the following (1) no matter if ZASS is installed or not the attachment maintains the extension of ZMA. (2) When I removed ZASS I noticed that my logoff hang issue that I've had since I got my new system (I immediately installed ZAES because it had the 64bit support) disappeared (when I see the "logoff" as the system is shutting down or restarting, the system will hang when I see the screen with "logging off" text and the only way I can get control is to force a poweroff). I rebooted the system several times to ensure it was gone. When I reinstalled ZASS immediately I encountered the logoff hang. Again I removed ZASS and again the logoff hang issue was gone. Each time I uninstalled I used the clean uninstall procedure. (3) I installed Kaspersky suite and after 20 reboots still no logoff hangs. (4) I also noticed that my system now runs much faster with Kaspersky. At this time I'm not sure if I will return to ZA.

I'm just curious if Changing to Kaspersky suite 2009 solved your "attachment maintains the extension of ZMA",I have ZAX 8.0.298.000 with Vista Ultimate 32-bit and Outlook 2007 and have WinRAR installed and have no problem with WinRAR attachments.. ?ZoneAlarm Extreme Security version:8.0.298.000
    TrueVector version:8.0.298.000
    Driver version:8.0.298.000
    Anti-virus engine version:6.0.2.678
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:980583119
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.209.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200903.5555
    AntiSpam version:6.0.0.1429
    ZoneAlarm ForceField 1.3.130.0
    ZoneAlarm ForceField Anti-Phishing Database 1.2.95.0
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time

Great! Thank you for your reporting.Good luck with your new security tools.Cheers,Fax

kermit Guest

No I could never process the attachment, it retained the extension ZMA. If I attempted to open the attachment Outlook would freeze and I'd have to use TaskMgr to close Outlook and then reboot my system. This then resulted in the system freezing when I saw the "Logging off" vista window. Sometimes after several minutes the system would continue past this point but after a 1/2 hour in some test I considered the system hung. Most often after more than 5 minutes I considered the system hung and forced a power off and then powered the system back on.

I just received a new RAR file as a replacement and I was able to process the file without any issues.

The main things I've noticed since removing ZASS and installing Kaspersky (1) System is MUCH more stable, (2) System is MUCH faster (3) No shutdown hangs.

Possibly (???) the x64 bit OS is causing a problem with ZASS.

Thread Information