Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Strange behavior with Privacy Settings

  1. #1
    steelersfaninma Guest

    Default Strange behavior with Privacy Settings

    Every time I upgrade ZAP, (currently 8.0.298) I have to figure out some quirky privacy settings to get certain saved sites to log me in and stay logged in. This time I'm having to allow 3rd party cookies, banner ads and animation for www.comcast.net in order for my saved cookies from certain other sites to be read, log me in, and view pics and animated smileys. At home my ISP is Comcast. When I'm away I sometimes use Verizon DSL. Can anyone tell me why this could be happening?

    If I shut down ZAP or turn off the global privacy settings in ZAP there are no issues. I've tried resetting ZAP and doing a clean uninstall/install with no luck. I'm not using any type of Comcast software. I run XP Home SP3 with the latest non-beta Firefox. I do have Add Block Plus for Firefox, but even when it's disabled I suffer this issue. The only thing that works within the site settings is allowing the above mentioned settings for www.comcast.net.

    Just thought of something. Could this be a DNS issue. If I'm on the wireless network through the Verizon DSL ISP, in ZAP for Firewall/Zones the only thing listed is New Network/IP Address/Gateway in the Trusted Zone. In my adapter settings for IP I have it set to obtain the IP and DNS automatically. Could adding a DNS address into ZAP fix this issue? I'll give it a try and report back. In the meantime if anyone could shed some light on this issue I would greatly appreciate the knowledge! Thank you in advance.

    Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    9,056

    Default Re: Strange behavior with Privacy Settings

    <blockquote><hr>SteelersFANinMA wrote:
    Every time I upgrade ZAP, (currently 8.0.298) I have to figure out some quirky privacy settings to get certain saved sites to log me in and stay logged in. This time I'm having to allow 3rd party cookies, banner ads and animation for www.comcast.net in order for my saved cookies from certain other sites to be read, log me in, and view pics and animated smileys. At home my ISP is Comcast. When I'm away I sometimes use Verizon DSL. Can anyone tell me why this could be happening?

    If I shut down ZAP or turn off the global privacy settings in ZAP there are no issues. I've tried resetting ZAP and doing a clean uninstall/install with no luck. I'm not using any type of Comcast software. I run XP Home SP3 with the latest non-beta Firefox. I do have Add Block Plus for Firefox, but even when it's disabled I suffer this issue. The only thing that works within the site settings is allowing the above mentioned settings for www.comcast.net.

    Just thought of something. Could this be a DNS issue. If I'm on the wireless network through the Verizon DSL ISP, in ZAP for Firewall/Zones the only thing listed is New Network/IP Address/Gateway in the Trusted Zone. In my adapter settings for IP I have it set to obtain the IP and DNS automatically. Could adding a DNS address into ZAP fix this issue? I'll give it a try and report back. In the meantime if anyone could shed some light on this issue I would greatly appreciate the knowledge! Thank you in advance.

    Operating System:
    Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:
    8.0
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Pro

    <hr></blockquote>


    Enable the web bugs (also javascript) and the scripts (although the vbscripts and activeX is not used by firefox browser, so these two probably can be ignored) and mime and the javascripts for the comcast sites.
    And allow private headers (referer) - also very much needed for touchy feely type of sites.

    You should have added the correct DNS server(s) to the Zones as Trusted in the Firewall of the ZoneAlarm...but the site issues should not be directly related to the dns connections (afaik anyways).

    Recently re-tried the latest stable Firefox browser (am a hard core Opera user so this is just a temporary diversion) with NoSCripts, Ad Block, Firekeeper and CustomizeGoogle. I have not found any site issues as of yet.

    Oldsod.

    Message Edited by Oldsod on 03-24-2009 12:00 PM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

  3. #3
    steelersfaninma Guest

    Default Re: Strange behavior with Privacy Settings

    Thanks for the reply! I already allow all Mobile Code settings. I'll give your suggestions a try.

    Any idea why when I'm using Verizon DSL and not visiting a comcast site that I would have to adjust the privacy settings for www.comcast.net to get certain other sites to work?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    9,056

    Default Re: Strange behavior with Privacy Settings


    <blockquote><hr>SteelersFANinMA wrote:
    Thanks for the reply! I already allow all Mobile Code settings. I'll give your suggestions a try.

    Any idea why when I'm using Verizon DSL and not visiting a comcast site that I would have to adjust the privacy settings for www.comcast.net to get certain other sites to work?
    <hr></blockquote>


    In the Zone Alarm's Privacy listing, find the sites involved and right click and customize the involved sites - allow the past settings and new suggestions.
    Each and every site can be customized..... often the Privacy misses a few sites involved and these sites must be then entered manually before customizing the Privacy settings.
    And very often just using 'global settings' in the Mobile Code instead of customizing sites is the problem with specific site issues.

    Also, enabling the Privacy advisor is about the only method to 'quickly see' by the alerts what had been blocked and what has been allowed. Often what has been blocked as seen in the Privacy Advisor's alerts is what needed to be allowed to make the sites functions properly.
    Helpful, if having a quick eye, as there is no logging of any kind for which or what has been blocked/ or allowed by the Privacy.

    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

  5. #5
    steelersfaninma Guest

    Default Re: Strange behavior with Privacy Settings

    Oldsod, I appreciate your help and the time you took to reply. However, I think that I might be confusing you. I will attempt to clarify.

    I have been using ZAP since 2001, so I am very familiar with it's settings and understand all that you wrote in your latest reply. With that being said, when I save my cookies for, (enter site here) so that I don't have to log in each time I visit, I do not understand why since the latest ZAP update, I would have to allow 3rd party cookies for www.comcast.net, when using Verizon DSL as an ISP, to be logged into the site. I don't even need to allow 3rd party cookies for, (enter site here) to be logged in under normal circumstances. Also, as stated in my original post, the privacy settings www.comcast.net is controlling banner ads and animations for, (enter site here) as well. When I'm at home using the net through comcast as the ISP this isn't an issue. I can block the above stated settings for comcast and browse the net without issue.

    I'm really just looking for someone to possibly shed some light on why privacy settings for www.comcast.net might be interfering with my browsing of other sites.

    Once again, thank you for any help offered.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    9,056

    Default Re: Strange behavior with Privacy Settings


    <blockquote><hr>SteelersFANinMA wrote:
    Oldsod, I appreciate your help and the time you took to reply. However, I think that I might be confusing you. I will attempt to clarify.

    I have been using ZAP since 2001, so I am very familiar with it's settings and understand all that you wrote in your latest reply. With that being said, when I save my cookies for, (enter site here) so that I don't have to log in each time I visit, I do not understand why since the latest ZAP update, I would have to allow 3rd party cookies for www.comcast.net, when using Verizon DSL as an ISP, to be logged into the site. I don't even need to allow 3rd party cookies for, (enter site here) to be logged in under normal circumstances. Also, as stated in my original post, the privacy settings www.comcast.net is controlling banner ads and animations for, (enter site here) as well. When I'm at home using the net through comcast as the ISP this isn't an issue. I can block the above stated settings for comcast and browse the net without issue.

    I'm really just looking for someone to possibly shed some light on why privacy settings for www.comcast.net might be interfering with my browsing of other sites.

    Once again, thank you for any help offered.
    <hr></blockquote>


    Ah, the question is why verisign set up needs needs third aprty cookies enabled in contrast to the comcast setup with no third party cookie enbabled for the logins to the comcast.com site?
    Is this correct or am I still lost?

    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

  7. #7
    steelersfaninma Guest

    Default Re: Strange behavior with Privacy Settings

    Getting close. I'll try again.

    1. I have a wireless laptop, my home page for Firefox is www.comcast.net
    2. At home my ISP is Comcast = everything works fine
    3. When not at home the ISP is Verizon DSL = privacy setting problems
    4. I save cookies for site, &quot;X&quot; so that I don't have to log in each visit
    5. Since the latest ZAP update, when connecting to the net on Verizon DSL, I've found that I must enable 3rd party cookies for www.comcast.net in order to login and stay logged in to site, &quot;X&quot;
    6. www.comcast.net and site, &quot;X&quot; have nothing to do with each other
    7. Example: must allow 3rd party cookies for www.comcast.net in order to login to forums.zonelabs.org

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    9,056

    Default Re: Strange behavior with Privacy Settings


    <blockquote><hr>SteelersFANinMA wrote:
    Getting close. I'll try again.

    1. I have a wireless laptop, my home page for Firefox is www.comcast.net
    2. At home my ISP is Comcast = everything works fine
    3. When not at home the ISP is Verizon DSL = privacy setting problems
    4. I save cookies for site, "X" so that I don't have to log in each visit
    5. Since the latest ZAP update, when connecting to the net on Verizon DSL, I've found that I must enable 3rd party cookies for www.comcast.net in order to login and stay logged in to site, "X"
    6. www.comcast.net and site, "X" have nothing to do with each other
    7. Example: must allow 3rd party cookies for www.comcast.net in order to login to forums.zonelabs.org
    <hr></blockquote>


    Comcast and verisign should nothing to do with each other, but even sites such as the zone alarm forum does need third party cookies to be allowed.
    Regardless of provider.
    If comcast needs third party cookies for it to be allowed for logins for other unrelated sites, then something is wrong with comcast provider - I would suspect something unusual with their networks.

    Checked and read the cookies stored to see what the differences are?

    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

  9. #9
    steelersfaninma Guest

    Default Re: Strange behavior with Privacy Settings

    <hr>Oldsod wrote:

    Comcast and verisign should nothing to do with each other, but even sites such as the zone alarm forum does need third party cookies to be allowed.
    Regardless of provider.
    <hr>
    I'm not sure if you're confusing the two or just made a error but, it's Verizon not VeriSign. Either way I agree and understand what you are saying here.


    <hr>Oldsod wrote:

    If comcast needs third party cookies for it to be allowed for logins for other unrelated sites, then something is wrong with comcast provider - I would suspect something unusual with their networks.
    <hr>
    We are not yet on the same page here. When the 3rd party cookie issue happens, I'm not using Comcast as the provider, I'm using Verizon, (cue theme from The Twilight Zone). When I am using Comcast as the provider, there is no issue as I do not have to allow the 3rd party cookies to view the other site. As a reminder, this only started after the 8.0.298 update.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    9,056

    Default Re: Strange behavior with Privacy Settings


    <blockquote><hr>SteelersFANinMA wrote:
    <hr>Oldsod wrote:

    Comcast and verisign should nothing to do with each other, but even sites such as the zone alarm forum does need third party cookies to be allowed.
    Regardless of provider.
    <hr>
    I'm not sure if you're confusing the two or just made a error but, it's Verizon not VeriSign. Either way I agree and understand what you are saying here.


    <hr>Oldsod wrote:

    If comcast needs third party cookies for it to be allowed for logins for other unrelated sites, then something is wrong with comcast provider - I would suspect something unusual with their networks.
    <hr>
    We are not yet on the same page here. When the 3rd party cookie issue happens, I'm not using Comcast as the provider, I'm using Verizon, (cue theme from The Twilight Zone). When I am using Comcast as the provider, there is no issue as I do not have to allow the 3rd party cookies to view the other site. As a reminder, this only started after the 8.0.298 update.
    <hr></blockquote>


    I think one machine has certain 'cached' cookies from previous sessions - even though it does not allow incoming cookies, the 'cached' cookies are read by the web sites, thus the sites function properly or as wanted.
    And the other machine does not have or keep the cached cookies (perhaps the za pro cleaner or browser settings clean all of the cookies after sessions or timed intervals?), thus the cookies must be allowed each time anew each time.

    An example - I usually need to allow third party cookies to enter the ZA forum, but I have the ZA forum cookie 'cached'. So instead of allowing in new third party cookies, I set the browser to block thid party cookies for the ZA forum.
    Even though I block the incoming third party cookies, the previous cookie is still being read by the site and allows me access to join.
    If I wanted my other machine to peform the same and not allow third party cookies for this site, then I could just copy the ZA cookie from one machine to the other and in effect 'spoof' the cookies.

    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •