Thread: Email filter stopped working

chrisjc Guest

Default Email filter stopped working

I am running ZASS 8.0.298.035, with Windows XP Home Edition (Service Pack 3).
    Email is accessed via Outlook Express.
    The Junk Mail filter worked brilliantly until last Sunday.
    We
    then installed XP Service Pack 3 and upgraded to the latest version of ZASS.
    Now, when I open Outlook Express, the Junk Mail toolbars are showing and the flash screen appears, suggesting that the filter is being activiated.
    However, nothing happens - the spam just sits there in the Inbox.
    I have even tried doing a manual 'Scan Selected Folder' but again nothing happens.
    It seems that the filter just doesn't seem to be 'seeing' the Inbox folder.
    Following other messages on this board I tried switching the filter off within the programme, switching the PC off, and then switching the filter back on again.
    But nothing.
    I have also tried reinstalling ZASS, and even going back to the previous version that was working with Service Pack 2 (8.0.298.000) but again with no result.
    Is this a problem with Service Pack 3?
    If it is, it will be a bit annoying as we only installed Service Pack 3 so that we could use the latest version of ZASS!

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: Email filter stopped working

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>ChrisJC wrote:
    I am running ZASS 8.0.298.035, with Windows XP Home Edition (Service Pack 3). Email is accessed via Outlook Express.The Junk Mail filter worked brilliantly until last Sunday. Wethen installed XP Service Pack 3 and upgraded to the latest version of ZASS.Now, when I open Outlook Express, the Junk Mail toolbars are showing and the flash screen appears, suggesting that the filter is being activiated. However, nothing happens - the spam just sits there in the Inbox. I have even tried doing a manual 'Scan Selected Folder' but again nothing happens. It seems that the filter just doesn't seem to be 'seeing' the Inbox folder.Following other messages on this board I tried switching the filter off within the programme, switching the PC off, and then switching the filter back on again. But nothing. I have also tried reinstalling ZASS, and even going back to the previous version that was working with Service Pack 2 (8.0.298.000) but again with no result.Is this a problem with Service Pack 3? If it is, it will be a bit annoying as we only installed Service Pack 3 so that we could use the latest version of ZASS!

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>1.) Yes, this problem was caused by Service pack 3, SP3 install changes and over Writes many files durring the Installation of SP#..That is why SP# should already be Installed before Upgrading ZoneAlarm Suite 8.0..2.) So to correct the Corruption of ZASS 8.0, do a Clean Uninstall of ZASS.. and do a Clean Re-Install..It looks like your Have Corrupted your Installed ZA files..The simplest procedure is to :1.Download the Latestinstallerpreferably with IE Browserand no Download Manager/accelerator like Get-Right, Livewire,BitTorrent) (MultiPlatform,installer will install on Both WinXP and Vista)ZASS http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...seHistory.html2. On your current ZA, UNcheck "Load ZA... at startup" (under Overview --&gt; Preferences tab)3. Reboot the Computer. So that vsmon.exe/TrueVector will be removed from Memory4.) Now use the new ZoneAlarm Removal Tool: Click here &gt; http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...cpes_clean.exeSave to desktop, right click and "run as administrator"This tool will remove all ZoneAlarm products from your system.

Please just download and run the tool, following the instructions.
    (you can un-install without net connections)5.) Install the new update (clean or upgrade) and Accept the default Setting, Auto-Learn Mode and Choose Trusted Zone, not Internet Zone..NOTICE:Please note that ZASS and ZAXdo not play nice with many overlapping security tools (even if disabled). To troubleshoot ZASS/ZAX issues removethe other Security programsand install them back once you see that ZA works as it should. For example,Norton/Symantec, McAfee,AVG, Spyspweeper, Spyware Doctor, trojan hunter, adware, SpyBotS&amp;D, PC tools Threat Fire, any otherAnti-virus, Anti-spyware, Registry Guard or locking tools, etc...--------------------------------------------------------
    WinXP SP3
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:8.0.298.035
    TrueVector version:8.0.298.035
    Driver version:8.0.298.035
    Anti-virus engine version:6.0.2.678
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:982214950
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.209.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200904.5715
    AntiSpam version:6.0.0.1429
    -------------------------------------------------
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

jackiej Guest

OK, tried the whole thing. It didn't work. Now what?

jackiej Guest

In fact, I've tried not only everything you suggested, but I also did everything anyone has suggested over the years. I moved excess mail out of my Inbox, compacted my mail folders, did a Reset on ZA, started ZA with mail protection turned off,rebooted, then turned it back on again. I uninstalled Spy Doctor, FreeMem, Spy Sweeper, ObjectDock. I completely uninstalled ZASS and even deleted its system folder. I've done everything but reformat my disk, and the anti-spam filter won't work. Once during all this, the Junk Mail scan window appeared but didn't find any of the spam. Every time before and since, that scan window hasn't even appeared.
    I do have XP Home edition with SP 3, but ZASS worked with SP 3 for months before recently stopping. I'm at my wits' end.
    -jackie

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>jackiej wrote:
    In fact, I've tried not only everything you suggested, but I also did everything anyone has suggested over the years. I moved excess mail out of my Inbox, compacted my mail folders, did a Reset on ZA, started ZA with mail protection turned off,rebooted, then turned it back on again. I uninstalled Spy Doctor, FreeMem, Spy Sweeper, ObjectDock. I completely uninstalled ZASS and even deleted its system folder. I've done everything but reformat my disk, and the anti-spam filter won't work. Once during all this, the Junk Mail scan window appeared but didn't find any of the spam. Every time before and since, that scan window hasn't even appeared.
    I do have XP Home edition with SP 3, but ZASS worked with SP 3 for months before recently stopping. I'm at my wits' end.
    -jackie
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>It sounds like you have too many other Security Programs Conflicting with ZA Security Suite..NOTICE:Please note that ZASS and ZAXdo not play nice with many overlapping security tools (even if disabled). To troubleshoot ZASS/ZAX issues removethe other Security programsand install them back once you see that ZA works as it should. For example,Norton/Symantec, McAfee,AVG, Spyspweeper, Spyware Doctor, trojan hunter, adware, SpyBotS&amp;D, PC tools Threat Fire, any otherAnti-virus, Anti-spyware, Registry Guard or locking tools, etc...
    --------------------------------------------------------
    WinXP SP3
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:8.0.298.035
    TrueVector version:8.0.298.035
    Driver version:8.0.298.035
    Anti-virus engine version:6.0.2.678
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:982473449
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.209.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200904.5735
    AntiSpam version:6.0.0.1429
    -------------------------------------------------
    GeorgeV

jackiej Guest

If you read again, you'll see that I uninstalled those programs before completely uninstalling and re-installing ZASS. I didn't just stop them; I removed them.
    -jackie

medukie Guest

The bottom line here is that there is a problem inherent in the last two updates. I tried resolving it through this forum to no avail. I then filled out the tech support form and submitted - after almost a week I got the usual clean uninstall/reinstall directive. Didn't work, just as you experienced. I replied to tech support - again almost a week ago and have had no response. I intend to post the resolution, if there ever is one, on the forum; but I'm quickly losing faith. While I've had good luck with Zone Alarm over the years, I may be installing something else when my subscription expires.

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>Medukie wrote:
    The bottom line here is that there is a problem inherent in the last two updates. I tried resolving it through this forum to no avail. I then filled out the tech support form and submitted - after almost a week I got the usual clean uninstall/reinstall directive. Didn't work, just as you experienced. I replied to tech support - again almost a week ago and have had no response. I intend to post the resolution, if there ever is one, on the forum; but I'm quickly losing faith. While I've had good luck with Zone Alarm over the years, I may be installing something else when my subscription expires.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I know you mean well, But PLEASE Don't Hi-Jack Other Users Request for Help.!!as a matter of Curtsey and to provide the Best solution to each Users problem, the Guideline Rules,ask each User to Please starttheir own thread. And start only 1 thread for each problem.</COLOR> This insures that each User receives a solution specific to their on Problem,When other user like yourself interject your own problem into the discussion of somebody else's problem, any advice or solution to your problem would confuse and may conflict with the solution to the Originating Users problem..1.) This User Forum is not for chatting.., If you have a Problem with ZoneAlarm.. Please startyour own thread. And start only 1 thread for each problem.2.) If more experienced Users can not help you in your own Trend, then Tech Support would be the Place to SORT Thru all the differences to similar problems..Thank you in advance for you Cooperation in this matter..
    GeorgeV

Thread Information