Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deleted Win32.Softomate, not sure if the trojan is hidden/suppressed by ZA internet sec. suite

oxford Guest

Default Deleted Win32.Softomate, not sure if the trojan is hidden/suppressed by ZA internet sec. suite

hello,

Win32.Softomate supposedly is "deleted" when i upgraded ZA spyware [paid for*] to ZA Internet sec. suite [trial]

When i scanned for the trojan, it came up as usual, this time i quarantined then deleted the trojan right away; two reboots later and some internet surfing, Win32.Softomate 'seems' to be eliminated.

My question is should I re-install my ZA spyware edition w/ my [paid for*] license key? and continue using that,

Or should i uninstall ZA Internet security suite [trial] *(upgraded from bought ZA Spyware)

So it's either uninstall the trial which would make me vulnerable for at least 10 minutes without the high-level protection of the ZA Internet Security Suite then directly to reinstalling of fresh copy of ZA Spyware ed. and then entering my bought license key.

I'm just not sure if i go either way = reinstalling [spyware edition] OR uninstalling [INT SEC. SUITE: trial] then reinstalling [SPYWARE edition: bought] would that SOMEHOW let the passive/hidden trojan become active again?

if having the degree of protection ZA Spyware and then deleting the trojan didn't do the trick, THEN, installing the upgrade to the level of protection that the ZA Internet sec. suite [trial] and then deleting trojan DID DO the trick, then what happens after the trial runs out?.. i'd be forced to go back to ZA Spyware [bought*]

How definate is the assumption that the trojan won't come back to screw me over again?

Message Edited by oxford on 09-05-2006 10:09 AM

Default Re: Deleted Win32.Softomate, not sure if the trojan is hidden/suppressed by ZA internet sec. suite

ZA Anti-Spyware isn't perfect and neither is any other anti-spyware product. I have FOUR installed in case one product misses something - another will catch it.

oxford Guest

Default Re: Deleted Win32.Softomate, not sure if the trojan is hidden/suppressed by ZA internet sec. suite

What i'm saying is when i deleted the trojan with the Zone Alarm internet security suite [trial version], the trojan didn't come back.

Sidenote: I'd already purchased a Zone Alarm Spyware edition license half a yr ago, good for one year of updates and upgrades in the build.

Keep in mind, Spyware edition was able to delete the trojan, but it kept coming back after i connected to the internet.

Zone Alarm internet security suite [trial version] however deletes the trojan,.. and the trojan simply does not come back

IF i uninstall Zone Alarm internet security suite [trial version] and then reinstall Zone Alarm Spyware edition [paid for license*] ... IS there the possibility of the trojan coming back?

rob

It is possible your trial version of ZISS isn't detecting the Trojan so it looks like it's not there. Both ZA products in theory should be picking up the same updated signatures, so they should be product the same result.Scan your system with another anti-spyware product to see if it picks up the trojan as well. Sometimes the CA signatures have false positives, but the Trojan could still be there.

oxford Guest

Which other 4 antispyware progs are you referring to?

See http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...&message.id=55

There's also some FAQs around here to look at.

Cheers

oxford Guest

i checked with ewido again, but no luck.

Weird that when i kill the process isafe.exe from ZAISS, the trojan ZA previously picks up as Win32.Softomate in the registry comes back.

When i did the scan again ZAISS doesn't find Win32.Softomate.

rob

Message Edited by oxford on 09-05-2006 11:49 PM

jimrps Guest

I can't get rid of WIN32.Softomate either. I put a post under the GENERAL catagory. Everytime I power on my laptop after a Windows Shut Down ZA Pro finds WIN32.Softomate. It doesn't matter if I choose to delete after a manual spyware scan or quarentine and then delete from the quarentine tab. I have run the Lavasoft Ad-aware SE software and it doesn't find any spyware. Perhaps Zone Alarm Pro is just giving a false positive; I am not sure how to tell beyond a doubt. If I don't see a resolution, then I will probably just reformat my hard drive and reinstall the software. I don't want to do that, however I haven't seen a safer alternative mentioned.

oxford Guest

omg this is driving me freaking insane, about 2 other people on this forum have admitted to encountering this trojan. ONE of them actually said he quarantined it then deleted it in ZA Pro edition, and said it was gone for good!? The other guy still hasn't been back on the forums yet.

I'm using the 15 trial version of ZAISS (internet security suite), *I still have a paid for licensed version of ZAS (spyware ed.); valid for half a year of updates.

What was the email address that you used for Zone Alarm tech support?

Not sure i want to pay 2.95 per min for tech support.

And i'm not sure, the only recourse i see from here is to backup everything and reformat.. UGHHHHHHHHHH..

Message Edited by oxford on 09-06-2006 06:59 AM

Might be a false positive, but no one at ZA or CAhas confirmed it officially. Too many false positives of late ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information