Thread: Anti-virus definitions - Mdropper Trojan

Hybrid View

cossino Guest

Default Anti-virus definitions - Mdropper Trojan

I am researching a trojan called Trojan.Mdropper.Q for a class project. Zone Labs doesn't show this one, but does list Mdropper.J. I own the Security Suite 6.5.7. My question is, why does the Zone Lab site refer me to some other product to identify/remove this infections/trojan (Mdropper.J)? and are they not as up to date as other company's security packages? I am a home user and want to protect my system and was told that Zone Labs is a great product. Any info to clarify is appreciated.
    See below:

"In order to avoid SillyDl infections it is important to follow safe computing practices, such as keeping your Operating System and third party applications up to date and patched with the latest updates, and use an Anti-Spyware and Adware solution such as eTrust Pest Patrol . CA also provides a free online Pest Scanner here ."
    http://vic.zonelabs.com/tmpl/body/CA....jsp?VId=56676

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:6.5

unhappy_viewer Guest

Default Re: Anti-virus definitions - Mdropper Trojan

All malware discussion including help with removal of malware and false positives etc. should be discussed on the malware discussion board:
    http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...wareDiscussion

As to your problem, ZA's virus database is taken directly from CA's virus encyclopedia since ZA uses Ca's AV engine and definitions. Thats why you are seeing the "suggestion" to use another CA product.

cossino Guest

<blockquote><hr>unhappy_viewer wrote:
    All malware discussion including help with removal of malware and false positives etc. should be discussed on the malware discussion board:
    http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...wareDiscussion

As to your problem, ZA's virus database is taken directly from CA's virus encyclopedia since ZA uses Ca's AV engine and definitions. Thats why you are seeing the "suggestion" to use another CA product.
    <hr></blockquote>

Thanks, I am new to this discussion. Though I can't figure out how to move this to the Malware Discussion and it isn't there now, so I have one more question and will put it in this discussion. I know that ZL is part of CA. But the marketing for ZL implies that all the malware definitions are included in my updates, yet this site tells me I have to do something else to find/remove this trojan....am I understanding this situation correctly? Thanks.

unhappy_viewer Guest

I have flagged your thread to the moderator. When he pops back in here, he will shift your thread.

To clarify a erronous points that you brought up first. ZL is not part of CA. In fact ZL is owned by Check Point, another software company that deals with enterprise products. What happens here is that ZL is currently licensing the AV engine and definitions from CA under a reciprocal deal. In fact this happens quite a lot in the security industry where one company licenss the use of another company's technology. ZL has no control over what definitions are to be included. All ZL does is to repackage the definitions so that can be read and integrated into ZA.

Because of this also, ZL synchronises its virus encyclopedia with CA's encyclopedia to ensure that it contains up-to-date information. Again ZL has no control over what is displayed since they come directly from CA. So what happens in your case is that defintions for this trojan is included in the AV definitions. This trojan once activated, can download adware, hence thats why the encyclopedia suggests that you use CA's antispyware product: Pest Patrol to detect adware since the AV doesn't detect adware. You can obviously use other antispyware programs for this purpose.

cossino Guest

Thank you very much for that clarification! Out here.

Thread Information