Thread: Virus killed my PC. What is it?

manturid Guest

Default Virus killed my PC. What is it?

I was on Explorer and a bunch of popups came up. I got out of explorer and restarted it. Got a message about a Zonealarm new version. Did upgrade. it looked legit. When my PC restarted, no toolbar. got that back, but now all system tasks either end without executing or just hang with hourglass. System restore will not run. Cannot even load my Toshiba source disk.Network access is shut down and not useable. Zonealarm will not start.Any ideas other than to kiss myself goodbye?Thanks.Dan M

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Antivirus

Default Re: Virus killed my PC. What is it?

Toshiba laptop? Popups from ZL or from the ZA or just popups? Just a recovery disk?

I have a Toshiba laptop is use at the present, So try the F12 to use the boot from cd drive or try the F2 and use the BIOS to disable the HDD boot and use the CD drive only. Either way should enable to use the disk to reformat and reinstall the Windows. Unless your DVD is more than just a Recovery DVD. Don't forget to re-enable the HDD after reinstalling Windows.

This will destroy all data.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recovery_CD

This is the quickest way to getback to using the Toshiba, but if you want your data, then boot the PC from a Ubantu disk. Apparently that will work and all wanted data can be saved.

Alternatively, what does tapping the F8 or the Safe Mode do? Does that work? Can the "Last Known Good Configuration" work for this? Can the Administrator Account be used in Safe Mode and then the scanners can be used? Even the Safe Mode with Networking may allow for on line scanners such as ewido.net/ or bitdefender.com.

TTYL

Oldsod

Oldsod

Message Edited by Oldsod on 09-17-2006 04:27 PM

Message Edited by Oldsod on 09-17-2006 04:27 PM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

manturid Guest

I tried these things and this virus just seems to null them out. Even in safe mode,. I cannot do anything recovery related. I tried changing boot device in BIOS to no avail. I am going to step through all this again.Thanks!

Some Toshibas are simple.

Try turning laptop and then unplug and take the battery out. Wait a few minutes Then replace the battery and replug the power. Then put Recovery Disk into the media drive. Then hit Start. Use the hit any key followup if needed. Others will work with F12 and use the boot from cd/dvd drive, while others need the HDD re,oved from the Boot Sequence.

Oldsod

BTW To really "kill" the memory, with laptop running, unplug the power and remove the battery. Do not make it a habit or it will destroy the HDD. But it is the laptop equivilant of "pull the power cord" in a desktop.

Message Edited by Oldsod on 09-17-2006 07:09 PM

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Anti-Spyware
    Software Version:6.1
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Is the hard drive making a clicky-klunkety sound? We had a Toshiba at work which was having severe issues and the hard drive had crashed (HDD still sitting on my desk as a toy)

Message Edited by Jeruselem on 09-18-2006 10:08 PM

manturid Guest

Gents,Hard drive is fine. This virus, whatever it is, seems to have something in there that disables any executable. As example, I cannot run system recovery. I can explore files but not search files. I cannot run zone alarm. I can run photo editors. i cannot move files in explore between folders. When I reboot and try f12, and try recovery disk, it still seems to be in there and prevents the recovery from working. i have done these things before, but this has me totally baffled. Hate to blow away all my data, but this is a very sinister condition. Since my Zone Alarm did not catch this, I am going to call them up for a response on what is happening.Dan M

Addition HDD sounds:

http://www.hitachigst.com/hddt/knowt...c?OpenDocument

Anyway for you to scan the HDD via an other PC?

Oldsod

Message Edited by Oldsod on 09-18-2006 12:45 PM

Best regards.
    oldsod

Try this from Avast, although it is not shareware and is money up front.

http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_bart_cd.html

Also is the F-Prot DOS scanner- it's free. I never tried either one so I am no help with either. But they should work.

http://www.f-prot.com/products/home_use/dos/

Oldsod

Still is the Ubuntu or Knoppix cd bootup- then just get your data and info out of the pc and then do a reformat/reinstall.

Message Edited by Oldsod on 09-18-2006 01:03 PM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

manturid Guest

Well, here is the latest and greatest. Put PC into safe mode, first disabling the hard drive for boot and pointing to CD. Booting in safe mode resulted in endless errors on my ethernet adapter. Never booted at all. Got on phone with Zonelabs tech support (excellent) who wanted to make sure ZONEALARM was not at fault (as last thing PC did was download new update.) Manually uninstalled it (as regular uninstall via the control panel woud not work).Bottom line, no network access at all (network connections do not even show up in the network connections box), system restore does not work, cannot get system to load Toshiba recovery disk. Very strange stuff. Question was asked if I had another system to put the Hard Drive into - no, I do not. Whatever this is, it is pretty smart. Zonelab Tech Support did a nice job to eliminate the product as a culprit and tried to help with the problem in general. What can I say, it's broke!Dan M.

If the HDD is not worn, the RAM is good and the cd/dvd drive works, then start over.

http://www.heidi.ie/eraser/

OR buy DiskScrubber

Use the same way as the Recovery Disk- start pc, put the eraser disk in, shut off the power via switch and restart in 40 seconds. The HDD may or may not have to be disabled. That is something to find out by trial and error. Do the Gutmann erase- it will take several nights and days.

When finished the erase, eject the disk, unplug the power chord and take the battery out without shutting off the laptop. This is done to "kill" any malware in the memory.

Start over. Got a router to provide the protection until all the steps are finished?
    Next step is reinstall the Windows/drivers with the Recovery Disk. Update the drivers (use Toshiba, drivers in the Hidden Devices in the View of the Device Manger and in the WINDOWS directory). Get all of the Windows patches and updates. Use the Error Checking (scan disk) in the Tools of Properties in the C\. Defrag the HDD. Then start hardening the Windows and installing the software/security and hardware.

Oldsod

Message Edited by Oldsod on 09-18-2006 07:27 PM

Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information