Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Win32.askyaya

bolehill Guest

Default Re: Win32.askyaya

Here's the Registry key that I got when it was detected in ascan this morning:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Inte rnet Explorer\ActiveX Compatibility\{A2B7A0F0-B697-4A71-8D91-43443F57D7BB}Hope that helps?Neil

roydogan Guest

Thanks bolehill, my registry entry is the same as well. The following may assist if providing clues to Ai_Tak:
    (1) Just like Gelsey i too have concluded a strong link to Spyware Doctor. When i uninstall Spyware Doctor, the Askyaya problem is resolved, so is it therefore a false positive? Do other users who have this problem also have Spyware Doctor as the common factor like Gelsey & I.
    (2) I got so fed up that i made a long distant call from Australia to the US [at early hours in the morning - talk about desperation] where Zone Alarm Support (cost me probably $25 USD), suggested that i put extra checks in my detection settings and increase my spyware setting to deep...this found 1 further item which was removed, but did not resolve the Askyaya problem, $25 USD to be told to click the mouse a few times...so much for that.....
    (3) If I were not confused enough and fast becoming dispondant, i have found a forum that says it has been confirm to be a false problem and will be fixed up by zone alarm future updates...
    http://forums.techguy.org/security/4...finding-2.html, so then how come Zone Labs support did not say this to me, or is that forum post misleading?...can we have confirmation by Zone Labs via email or something to justify us using their product.... as far as i am concerned, they make the product and their creditiblity is greater than some post on some site.
    (4)Furthermore, since Spyware Doctor & Ad-aware (trial version just to see if it finds anything) did not detect Askyaya, (and also Spyware Detector per Gelsey)... there appears to be a compelling weight of evidence accumulating as it being a false positive...

I think its a great product but i also think its time that someone from Zone Labs with credibility step up to the plate and puts this to bed rather hearing it from other sites (which i do not know whether to trust or not) and be left in limbo. So at the end of my blurb, i am no wiser on whether we have a false positive or not, but rather a hunch.
    Until then, Ai_Tak contribution is the only hope we have at this point to lead this flock to safer pastures...

PS: Perhaps Zone Labs does not think it is important.... It certainly does not hurt their reputation when dispersions are cast on Spyware Doctor as being the spyware culprit! Fair is fair, if it is a false positive, get an update running to fix the problem ASAP... i have spent 6 days and nights with this issue and cannot reinstall my applications unless i have a clean slate and list of applications.
    Maybe I am off the bleeding track, or whatever... but whats for certain is the number of people viewing this thread is building, indicating that users are simply not getting the answers anywhere regarding this. Now is the time to earn a golden star on customer service and product support....what say Zone Lab / Check Point... are you there for us? 1 more final call....

britneyluvr Guest

If you suspect a false positive, I'd report it using the FAQs for this board.Marcus

roydogan Guest

As per other posts, i am mindful that the forum is not official support for Zone Labs and cannot presume it will be read by support........
    Just to recap, based on the replies the following programs did NOT detect Askyaya contrary to Zone Alarm (false or not...) :
    Spyware Doctor (thanks Gelsey), Spyware Detector (thanks Gelsey), Ad-aware and Spybot (thanks henshawj)
    Why did i recap...well the premium support call i made to zone labs suggested that i use an alternative product to check.... so there we have it.

Now its time to put to the test the suggestion that this is presumably a false positive on part of Zone Alarms latest update (which would explain why it is occuring now and not in the past) as per Cookiegal, administrator on techguy.org forum. This test is only to determine if the update is involved and does not suggest it to be false or otherwise. So here we go:
    (1) A fresh windows installation
    (2) Zone Alarm installed (the only program on system outside of the OS) with antispyware engine version 5.0.10.0 and DAT file version 01.200609.256
    (3) Did a scan with Zone Alarm, guess what.... no Askyaya...as expected.
    (4) The second program installed after Zone Alarm was Spyware Doctor Version 3.8.0.2582 and Database Version 3.05040
    (5) I then ran a Spyware Doctor scan..... result = no Askyaya...as expected
    (6) Then i updated Zone Alarm to the recent Antispyware engine version 5.0.83 and DAT file version 01.200609.355
    (7) Reboot and reperform antispyware scan in Zone Alarm...clean....WHAT...I EXPECTED ASKYAYA HERE...BUT HOLD ON, lets now also update Spyware Doctor...
    (8) I PROCEEDED TO UPDATE SPYWARE DOCTOR TO VERSION THE LATEST 4.0.0.2602 AND DATABASE VERSION TO 3.05300
    (9) Reboot then reperform Zone Alarm antispyware....BINGO....ASKYAYA POPS UP FOR THE FIRST TIME....
    (10) Spyware Doctor scan....no Askyaya (as expected)
    CONCLUSION:
    SO MY SIMPLE TEST IMPLICATES ZONE ALARM UPDATE AS THE POSSIBLE FACTOR ONLY IF BOTH (1) SPYWARE DOCTOR IS INSTALLED, (2) SPYWARE DOCTOR IS UPDATED & (3) ZONE ALARM IS UPDATED. So Cookiegal is on the money, Zone Alarm update did the boo boo. Still, i want to see an official post on Zone Labs site regarding this matter to feel complete.

roydogan Guest

As per other posts, i am mindful that the forum is not official support for Zone Labs and cannot presume it will be read by support........
    Just to recap, based on the replies the following programs did NOT detect Askyaya contrary to Zone Alarm (false or not...) :
    Spyware Doctor (thanks Gelsey), Spyware Detector (thanks Gelsey), Ad-aware and Spybot (thanks henshawj)
    Why did i recap...well the premium support call i made to zone labs suggested that i use an alternative product to check.... so there we have it.

Now its time to put to the test the suggestion that this is presumably a false positive on part of Zone Alarms latest update (which would explain why it is occuring now and not in the past) as per Cookiegal, administrator on techguy.org forum. This test is only to determine if the update is involved and does not suggest it to be false or otherwise. So here we go:
    (1) A fresh windows installation
    (2) Zone Alarm installed (the only program on system outside of the OS) with antispyware engine version 5.0.10.0 and DAT file version 01.200609.256
    (3) Did a scan with Zone Alarm, guess what.... no Askyaya...as expected.
    (4) The second program installed after Zone Alarm was Spyware Doctor Version 3.8.0.2582 and Database Version 3.05040
    (5) I then ran a Spyware Doctor scan..... result = no Askyaya...as expected
    (6) Then i updated Zone Alarm to the recent Antispyware engine version 5.0.83 and DAT file version 01.200609.355
    (7) Reboot and reperform antispyware scan in Zone Alarm...clean....WHAT...I EXPECTED ASKYAYA HERE...BUT HOLD ON, lets now also update Spyware Doctor...
    (8) I PROCEEDED TO UPDATE SPYWARE DOCTOR TO VERSION THE LATEST 4.0.0.2602 AND DATABASE VERSION TO 3.05300
    (9) Reboot then reperform Zone Alarm antispyware....BINGO....ASKYAYA POPS UP FOR THE FIRST TIME....
    (10) Spyware Doctor scan....no Askyaya (as expected)
    CONCLUSION:
    SO MY SIMPLE TEST IMPLICATES ZONE ALARM UPDATE AS THE POSSIBLE FACTOR ONLY IF BOTH (1) SPYWARE DOCTOR IS INSTALLED, (2) SPYWARE DOCTOR IS UPDATED & (3) ZONE ALARM IS UPDATED. So Cookiegal is on the money, Zone Alarm update did the boo boo. Still, i want to see an official post on Zone Labs site regarding this matter to feel complete.

roydogan Guest

Thank Marcus, just reported it as you suggested as resonable grounds for a false positive. Now i can sit on my hands and wait for some confirmation or feedback from Zone Labs on the matter.

bolehill Guest

Hi thereJust to say that I have updated ZA over the weekend (my main file is now version6.5.737.0, and the antispyware file is 5.0.63.0 with DAT file of 01.200609.345) and on a spyware scan this morning itdid NOT find win32.askyaya. How about you?By the way, I also use Spyware Doctor, but often it is not running all the time. I rely on AVG Grisfot and Ewido formy anti-virus,spyware and malware protection, using Spyware Doc as a backup check now and then.CheersNeil

roydogan Guest

Hi Neil,
    I suspect that if you run Spyware Doctor in the Background (i.e. on the task tray), you will find that it is still present even with 737 and new DAT....thats what i found, although an independant sighting would make me more confident about this. I would be interested to see if this is the case with you as well. Awaiting you findings....
    Good Luck,
    Roy

wire Guest

Default Re: Win32.askyaya is wont delete please help! :-)

Yea me to! when i do a deep scan on za i keep getting this trojan win32.askyaya, i have deleted like 20 times now and i tried to delete it in my reg where za told me where it was RegistryKey: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\ActiveX Compatibility\{A2B7A0F0-B697-4A71-8D91-43443F57D7BB} does anyone one know how to get rid of this and what is it really?? i have spybot, ad awear, spydr and did trend miro (online) and they never get it! is this a fase alarm??

** Please don't post your e-mail address**

Message Edited by Greb49er on 09-30-2006 08:03 AM

Wire....

Go see your other post for the answer.

Please stop double posting.

Please start new threads instead of jumping in the other users threads.

Oldsod

Message Edited by Oldsod on 09-30-2006 02:12 PM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information