Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PEST PATROL

brewabeer Guest

Default PEST PATROL

Hi all,

I just got a 'suspicious behavior' alert: PPUPDSTUB.EXE is trying to set 'ppupdstub' to run each time your computer is started.

The exe lives in C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\Scanner.

A quick google search shows that ppupdstub.exe is part of Pest Patrol - but I don't have Pest Patrol!

I do have ZA, Windows Defender, Spybot S&D, Spyware Blaster, and antivirus as well as a hardware firewall between me and the big bad world, so I would be surprised if this was malware but of course it is not impossible.

My current suspicion is that maybe Windows Defender has installed it in its latest update, but I can't find any info that would suggest that WD has swallowed PP.

Any ideas?

Default Re: PEST PATROL

Hi

In general:

possibily related to an online scanner
    or the yahoo antispy
    or netscape browser
    or another scanner that does use this component

Specific:

Check the "Run" in the Registry in the Software/Microsoft/Windows/Current Version and delete the reference to ppudaterstub.exe and delete the file in the Common folder. This may affect an allowed program, but just reinstall it if that does happen.

Run your security applications and do a few online scans for the extra insurance. Check the ZA Logs for any unusual outbound/inbound connections. Download/install TCP Viewer (freeware) from sysinternals.com to see what application is using the conecctions and at which port, all in real time.

If there is foul play by malware, then try a HJT and send the log to a security forum that does HJT solutions for free.

Oldsod

Message Edited by Oldsod on 10-05-2006 04:58 AM

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Anti-Spyware
    Software Version:6.5
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Do you have Netscape 8.1 installed? Guess what it installs on your PC - PestPatrol.

Is the AOL antispy also PestPatrol based?

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

I may be way off base here but or think I recall hearing somewhere AOL Antispy was Aluria or maybe that was Earthlink ?

"AOL Spyware Protection aol.com formerly powered by Aluria (licensed); now powered by Pest Patrol (licensed)"

courtesy of spywarewarrior.com

BTW The rogue antispy list has been updated as of Oct5, 2006

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thanks Oldsod

brewabeer Guest

Default And the winner is...

Jerusalem!!
    (I hope...)

I have had Netscape on the PC for a while, but I have rarely (if ever) used it. However I did try to preview a web page in it yesterday from Dreamweaver, and I remember it behaved a bit oddly - it wouldn't open, and then I found this window which asked me if I wanted to be the default user or something like that.
    Which is all too much of a coincidence for my money, so I'll take the punt that this is the explanation.
    So thanks everyone, and take a bow
    Jerusalem.
    Speech... speech... speech...
    :8}

Default Re: And the winner is...

Actually two winners....

"In general:

possibily related to an online scanner
    or the yahoo antispy
    or netscape browser
    or another scanner that does use this component"

quote from my post prior to Jerusalem's post. Check out the Oldsod post at the very bottom of the whole thread.

Maybe three winners since your question is answered- you are the first winner. Jerusalem and myself are only second place title holders.

Oldsod

Message Edited by Oldsod on 10-05-2006 09:21 PM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Default Re: And the winner is...

Thank you, google is my best friend.

Somehow found the words PESTPATROL and Netscape in some user forum. Guess I was right although the chance of finding someone installing NS 8.1 is rather low.

Message Edited by Jeruselem on 10-06-200603:33 PM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information