Thread: Desperate - cannot detect or delete virus/spyware - PLEASE help

gazer Guest

Default Desperate - cannot detect or delete virus/spyware - PLEASE help

Somehow I got this thing on my computer after having downloaded a Windows Media Player codec, it appears in the form of a Windows style system error message in my toolbar which reads: "critical system error - System detected virus activities. They may cause critical system failure. Please use antimalware software to clean and protect your system from parasite programs. Click this balloon to get all available software". Once clicked it opens an IE window prompting you to buy "virusbuster" which apparently is a fake program showing fake virus infection messages to get you to pay for a fake product. Did some searches on the web which recommended getting specific spyware removal tools however I'm not sure whether they are fake as well or even just as bad. It's quite annoying as the system error message keeps appearing and I cannot get rid of it. Tried to look through the posts but couldn't as yet find any with a similar problem. Anyone able to help me please???

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Anti-Spyware

Default Re: Desperate - cannot detect or delete virus/spyware - PLEASE help

<blockquote><hr>gazer wrote:
    Somehow I got this thing on my computer after having downloaded a Windows Media Player codec, it appears in the form of a Windows style system error message in my toolbar which reads: &quot;critical system error - System detected virus activities. They may cause critical system failure. Please use antimalware software to clean and protect your system from parasite programs. Click this balloon to get all available software&quot;. Once clicked it opens an IE window prompting you to buy &quot;virusbuster&quot; which apparently is a fake program showing fake virus infection messages to get you to pay for a fake product. Did some searches on the web which recommended getting specific spyware removal tools however I'm not sure whether they are fake as well or even just as bad. It's quite annoying as the system error message keeps appearing and I cannot get rid of it. Tried to look through the posts but couldn't as yet find any with a similar problem. Anyone able to help me please???

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Anti-Spyware

<hr></blockquote>

Welcome to the ZA User Forum..

Here is a Link to Good advise from GURU SlyFox..

http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...ssage.id=14416

You can also go to www.kaspersky.com to do an ONLINE Virus Scan and Removal of Viruses..
    Downloading Codex's, Music, Games and Unknow Security programs offered by POP-UP windows or Email, are Risky at Best.

and make sure that you TURN OFF your WindowsXP &quot;System Restore&quot;, so that any remnants of the Virus/Trojan/Spyware that may have been save there does not RE-Infect your computer once it is cleaned..

Please Post Back and let us know how you made out, or if you need more help..

---------------------------------------
    My Configuration:
    Operating System: Windows XP SP2 Home Edition
    Product Name: ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version: 6.5.737.000
    TrueVector version:6.5.737.000
    Driver version:6.5.737.000
    ZA Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.83.0
    ZA Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200610.405

Kaspersky Anti_Virus 6.0.0.303
    Sunbelt CounterSpy Anti-Spyware 1.5.82
    Webroot Spy Sweeper Anti-Spyware 5.0.7.1608
    Spybot-Search and Destroy v1.4
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

http://spywarewarrior.com/sww-help.htm

is a self help page.

The superantispy and ewido should beat it to death. Use the links that are provided in the spywarewarrior self help page. They are freeware, so don't worry about costs.

Beware of sites with great vids and then suggest a second site for the codec. It is usually a trojan site.

Check the host file for any mention of this site(s) and delete it. Really the only address in there should be 127.0.0.1 local host and any/if any your installed security software sites.

This freeware tool will kill it as well and clean it up.

http://siri.geekstogo.com/SmitfraudFix.php

Take care!

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Also check the browser favorites and remove any mention of the malware sites. Then clean the browsers file cache.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

tony_a Guest

This problem is Trojan.Downloader.AEU and is easily removed using Spyware Doctor.

gazer Guest

HUGE thanks to everyone for their advice, started of with EWIDO as that seemed to be a popular choice with the &quot;pros&quot; and it got rid of it immediately, not only that it also detected a huge pile of other junk.
    Selfhelp site is good as well but maybe a bit too complicated for me, all my knowledge is self taught and rather limited.

Once again thanks for all the links etc. that was the most ANNOYING virus ever - well only one ever but extremely annoying nevertheless

THANKS GUYS YOU'VE MADE MY DAY

gazer

Glad to learn your malware was fixed and done with in little time and effectively.

Just keep checking that site from time to time and your increasing knowledge will open new levels of understanding and wisedom. Plus the self help comes in handy as a reference for the future- not to mention that if you ever need help with malware, there are many users here to help another user out at any time!

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

SpywareDoctor is an effective security application.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

hicjam Guest

I think you will find that the virus is the same **bleep** thing that is telling you buy this certain anti-virus rubbish......I say this because I d/l an application and I got this horrendous red screen saying my pc is badly contaminated and
    that I am advised to buy a certain product it was almost impossible to get rid of the red screen no matter what I tried nothing worked so I opted for a system restore. ( I took it back 2days )now this worked by putting the red screen virus into a vault and hey presto back to normal...the only other way it
    could be done is by re-formatting (not a good idea ) as you need to be a bit cleverer than ordinary joe if you get my meaning..

Thread Information