Thread: Is csrss.exe in Age of Empires 3 no-cd infected? that site has never given me proble

wryotter Guest

Cool Is csrss.exe in Age of Empires 3 no-cd infected? that site has never given me proble

I run a home network. I installed a genuine & paid for copy of Age of Empires 3 yesterday one one machine. I wish to play multiplayer across the LAN with my 3 sons who I consider are a bit too young yet to be safely playing freely across the internet via Microsoft's Gamezone.

For this reason I downloaded a no-CD fix for AoE3 v1.0
    I searched google first and could find no indication that this file was infected.

On first use of the replacement exe file Zonealarm indicated that Age of Empires 3 was attempting to communicate with AVG. It was late and I was tired and I OK'd it without really engaging brain. It did not take many seconds for alarm bells to start to ring though....

As it was, my 'no-CD version' posted a version conflict with the original version on another machine and so would not multiplay. I packed up for the night having ensured that my PC was switched off and could not go communicating in my absence.

I tried again this morning. This time I got a Zonealarm alert that csrss.exe was trying to connect to the internet.

Now I know from a Google search this morning that csrss.exe can act as a Trojan or it can act legitimately.

My question is whether it is acting as a Trojan in Age of Empires 3 no-CD (I am very aware that other no-cd cracks are infected).

Neither AVG or PestPatrol pick anything up. But why would Age of Empires have wanted to communicate with AVG? Was this initial communication designed to dis-arm AVG?

Thanks for any help.

WryOtter

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro

Default Re: Is csrss.exe in Age of Empires 3 no-cd infected?

Firstly, the source of the no-cd crack? I know a good site for virus free downloads but it depends on the source of the crack. Don't post the URL if it's of dubious origin ...

Message Edited by Jeruselem on 10-21-200604:16 PM

wryotter Guest

Hi Jerusalem,
    The url for the full list:http://www.gameburnworld.com/gp/game...empires3.shtml
    The one I used is top of the list:http://www.gameburnworld.com/dl/dl.p...ixedexeEng.rar
    Thanks,
    WryOtter

wryotter Guest

You unpack the file and copy the age3.exe into the program folder where it replaces the exe that requires the CD.
    This morning I have reversed that process - copying the genuine age3.exe back on to my PC and replacing the no cd version.
    I have then run the game again in multiplayer mode and received the following messages:
    Age of empires 3 is trying to communicate with c:\windows\system32\csrss.exe by opening its process
    Then,
    Age3.exe is trying to connect to the internetDestination 255.255.255.255 Port 2299This program has changed since the last time it ran
    On this ocassion there was no attempt by cssrs.exe to connect to the internet

Message Edited by wryotter on 10-21-200612:16 AM

OK, that site is great. I get my No-CD stuff from there when I need and it's pretty much free of malware.A good NoCD crack is normally a copy of the file minus some code removed to stop a CD check so the cracked and non-cracked file should behave the same.
    Looks like age3.exe was talking to the internet all along, but maybe with CD check removed the multiplayer code is doing something weird because it can't find the CD.

wryotter Guest

Jotti's malware scan 2.99-TRANSITION_TO_3.00-R1
    File to upload & scan:

File:AgeOfEmpires3v1.0NoCDFixedexeEng.rarStatus:OK MD5cb5f755d9415e62836992bc33c0e7ed1Packers detected:-Scanner resultsAntiVirFound nothingArcaVirFound nothingAvastFound nothingAVG AntivirusFound nothingBitDefenderFound nothingClamAVFound nothingDr.WebFound nothingF-Prot AntivirusFound nothingFortinetFound nothingKaspersky Anti-VirusFound nothingNOD32Found nothingNorman Virus ControlFound nothingVirusBusterFound nothingVBA32Found nothing

I'd say it's just the multi-player LAN doing what it does really well - try to connect to the Internet.You should be fine - stuff from that site has never given me problems.

Thread Information