Thread: Unknown "Explorer.EXE" process!

sith_master Guest

Default Unknown "Explorer.EXE" process!

Could someone help me with this please?

Recently,I downloaded a file from a P2P application.It turned out to be a junk audio/video file so I had to remove it.However,despite the fact that I am a suspicious and intermediate(plus more)security aware user,I did the most foolish thing ever in the world!I said "Why not try and play it with Windows Media Player(VLC couldn't so WMP probably could...LOL)?"When WMP tried to play the file there was a message "You need to install a component/plugin.Would you like to(etc?)"As a "smart" kid I chose YES!Of course,the file didn't play so I removed it.Now,AVG Anti-spyware shows an unknown "Explorer.EXE"(located in C:\Windows\explorer.exe)definetely not the authentic "explorer.exe"(located in C:\Windows\explorer.exe).Now,here is a weird thing.I terminate the "Explorer.EXE" process via the AVG and then I DON'T NEED to create a process "explorer.exe" via the task manager!!!It starts automatically the "explorer.exe" process itself!Take into account also that the Windows XP task manager doesn't show "Explorer.EXE" but only the AVG shows that.In any case task manager shows an "explorer.exe" process running in the background.I tried to find the file where it is located[by disabling the options of hidden files and system hidden files(OS)]but with no result.Here also are the programs I've used in Safe Mode:

AVG Anti-Spyware: Complete System Scan(Memory,Registry and all Hard Drives with all otions enabled)
    eSET NOD32: On-Demand Scanner/In-Depth Analysis with everything scanned(from boot sectors to zipped archives)
    ZA Anti-Virus & Anti-Spyware: Full system Scan(With Heuristic Analysis and Deep Inspection Scan-NO Byte Level Scanning)
    System's Mechanic Spython: Deep/Comprehensive Scan

Unfortunately,nothing was found not even in the registry.

To make matters worse,the "Explorer.EXE" process reappears with every boot and I have to terminate it manually each time.

Finally,I don't know if this process creates any other threats(Lately,I found a duplicate CTFMON.EXE-not the authentic ctfmon.exe-and a Windows Update folder-never seen that when Windows Update tries to connect to the Internet-in the Autostart menu with the help of the AVG).

Can anyone give a recommendation despite my stupid enactment?

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:

Message Edited by Sith-Master on 10-26-200609:30 PM

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:6.5

mathematician Guest

Default Re: Unknown "Explorer.EXE" process!

You could try doing a (repair) reinstallation the operating system, and, if that doesn't fix it, go for the nuclear option. Back up your Documents folder, and whatever other data you need to save, reformat the hard disk, reinstall the operating system and applications, copy your data back onto the hard disk.

Default Re: Unknown "Explorer.EXE" process!

Hey, I checked my Windows XP Pro SP2 and explorer.exe sits in C:\windows so don't panic. I have only one explorer.exe which isn't
    the prefetch copy.

Thread Information