Thread: BraveSentry FakeAlert

rlprlp Guest

Default BraveSentry FakeAlert

Hello. I hope that I have chosen the right board to post this question in. I have been using ZA Anti-Virus for about a month now (including about two weeks of the trial). This morning, for the first time, my Webroot SpySweeper weekly scan found and quarantined "BraveSentry FakeAlert". The connection? According to the SpySweeper log, this piece of malware was found in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ZONELABS\VSMON.EXE. I have an HP Pavilion desktop with XP Home SP2. My wife and I practice extremely safe computer habits and almost never get malware, and the location that this "BraveSentry" was discovered in has me confused. Can anyone shed any light on this for me? Thank you to all who take the time to reply.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Antivirus
    Software Version:6.5

naivemelody Guest

Default Re: BraveSentry FakeAlert

What a coincidence, I have the upgraded SpySweeper 5.2.32120 with Antivirus and it detected 'bravesentry fakealert' on10-27 a.m.,
    but in the registry,I think -"HKU\S-1-5-21-3183561169-...\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\ext\ stats\{722..."
    looks like a different location, very strange? I have ZA Antispy6.5,McAfee free standing av, and of course the upgraded SpySweeper with the av on, earlier that night, before I detected,
    I had updated my free Lavasoft Ad-Aware, did you happen to do the same??SpySweeper lists it as adware, but www.ca.com ComputerAssociates- very good Spyware Information Center, lists it as a trojan,
    a severe threat. It maybe a false positive by Webroot of all things. I think we both should do a littel google-ing and searching other forums to see if others have also reported bravesentry for Webroot- then it may have been a false positive. I hope you will post back here, so we can get the truth of the matter. See you soon. NaiveMelody NYC 10-28-06~8:05pm e.s.t. - Right place,wrong time - Dr. John:0

Vsmon is one of the core components in the TrueVector Security Engine found in all ZoneAlarm products related to the proper functioning of ZoneAlarm. Try doing an online scan from www.ewido.net to make sure as I think that Spy Sweeper may be identifying it as a false positive. Please post back on your findings.

NNard

rlprlp Guest

Thank you for the responses. I ran the Ewido scanner; clean. Two thoughts come to mind. If this WAS malware, would the Ewido report it when it is already in a quarantine state (inside SpySweeper's quarantine)? If this was NOT malware (false positive), then SpySweeper quarantined SOMETHING from VSMON.EXE. Yet as far as I can tell, my ZA seems to be functioning normally. I read some information regarding BraveSentry, including the info. from CA. From what I understand, it is one of those rogue programs that claim you have malware (when in fact you don't), but for a fee it will "remove" it for you. It wasn't until after I started this thread that I realized that I never did see my PC exhibit any unusual behavior. I never once saw any pop-up windows claiming that my PC was "infected". I wonder if SpySweeper has their own user forum. I think that I will look into that, and continue to check back here for additional thoughts/suggestions.

Hi

You could try this forum for the SS;

http://www.castlecops.com/f163-Spysweeper.html

Never used this site, so we see how it goes.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

rlprlp Guest

Thanks, Oldsod. Browsed around for a few minutes, and came across one post, about 2 days old, where the writer said that his SpySweeper ran a clean FULL scan, and then found BraveSentry in a QUICK scan. I'm beginning to wonder if there is a glitch in the latest SpySweeper updates. Whatever it was that my SpySweeper quarantined, I am just going to leave it there for now, and check back from time to time for any new news.

ukbod Guest

Call me a cynic but I do not believe this is a program error. It is financially sound to record a threat during a free scan which costs money (a subscription) to remove. I found the same error when I trialled spysweeper but several other programs found nothing. My advice -ignore it and remove spysweeper

Usually SpySweeper has a low false detection.

Oh I do understand what you are saying and this does true for many of the spyware scanners that are availble. Some even sneakily introduce spyware and never say a thing.

For a good list of spyware scanners that do use this trick to convince the innocent user into purchase check out the rogue list at spywarewarrior.com or

http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm

Cheers

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information