Thread: Problems with System Restore and can not find vmmdiag.exe

imove Guest

Default Problems with System Restore and can not find vmmdiag.exe

I have had an attack on my computer about four days ago.
    I was one of the user accounts and this "vmmdiag32.exe" kept on popping up and zonelabs would quarantine this.
    It would keep on coming back and zonelabs would do the same thing, so I deleted the account and now when I log on my other accounts I get an error message saying,"WIndows cannot find "vmmdiag32.exe". Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start button, and then click Search." When I do search for it in My Computer it cannot be found. I would like to know how to get ride of this error message.

Also when
    I try to do System Restore it says, "You do not have sufficient secuirty privileges to restore your system.
    Please contact your administrator, or logout and log in again as an administrator and try again.
    I am on a administrator account.
    When I
    right click My Computer and go to properties there is no System Restore tab.
    I have also C:\_RESTORE\ under Run it says, "C;\_RESTORE refoers to a location that is unavailable. It could be on a hard drive on this computer, or on a network. Check to make sire that the dish is properly inserted, or that you are connected to the Internet or your network, and then try again.
    If it still cannot be located, the information might have been moved to a different location.

My ZonAlarm Security Suite version is 6.1.744.001

I have not updated ZoneAlarm.

Please help me I have many problems and I am very bad with computers. Thanks so much, David.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:6.1

Default Re: Problems with System Restore and can not find vmmdiag.exe

Hi

Type into the command "sfc /scannow" and Enter. Please do not use the quotation marks and leave a space between "sfc" and "/scannow". Have the Windows OS media disk handy to be placed into the CD drive. Just let it do the check and it will restore any lost or misplaced Windows files for you. The lost Windows component(s) should be replaced.

The Safe Mode can be tried for the System Restore and you should be able to re-set-up the deleted account when you are signed in as Administrator in the Safe Mode.

Hope this helps

Oldsod

BTW....

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/star...exe-15738.html

and please try a HJT (Hijack This) forum such as

http://www.castlecops.com/f67-Hijack...ans_Oh_My.html

and please check out

http://spywarewarrior.com/sww-help.htm

Just in case there is still some nasty malware on the PC that has been missed.

Message Edited by Oldsod on 11-04-2006 01:37 PM

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Anti-Spyware
    Software Version:6.1
    Best regards.
    oldsod

imove Guest

One problem I do not have this CD. We bought it used and did not get the CD. Is there anything else I can do?

Hi

Try to borrow one for the sfc /scannow command.

Any Windows OS or recovery disk that matches your OS will work for this procedure. ( Windows XP SP2 OS needs a Windows XP SP2 disk) Ask a family member or a very close friend. You do not need to worry about the license issues since your Windows OS is already registered. The file check can be done even off line- it does not need to have windows.com or Windows Genuine Advantage to verify your OS or the disk. These two things are completely seperate.

In fact, if the individual really trusts you, just burn a copy of their Windows OS media disk and use it for your emergency reformat/reinstalling.
    If your ever PC crashed, you could actually use that copy to install the OS and then promptly phone MS and state the license glued on the outside of the PC box to get your own license reinstated.

I would also copy all of the manufactures drivers and save them for installing if the crash ever happened. This would make your search for the drivers a lot easier.

There are various types of disk imaging software available. Google "Acronis" and there was an older freeware version for downloading and using just for home users. There are other such as Norton GoBack or Ghost (payware, but cheaper than the Windows OS)

Also look for the freeware version of Shadowuser or Shadowsurfer.

http://www.storagecraft.com/products/ShadowSurfer/

So you could copy your entire hard drive and just save it for later use. A great method by some users to completely avoid the problem of malware- if they get infected they just restore the harddrive to an earlier date.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Just so you know Shadowuser doesn't have a free version that I am aware of ,but Shadowsurfer may still be offering one. If your interested
    go HERE and for details on how to download the free Shadowsurfer check out This post

imove Guest

I think I can get the OS disk from my friend but i what is the disc called, he is having problems finding it.
    On the disk is it called Windows OS media disk or what? Thanks.

Hi

Something such as:

Operating System
    or
    *Manufacture Name* Windows
    or

Reinstallation CD or DVD and then there would be a seperate disk just for the drivers

OR if it has the drivers included on the disk, then it is usually a

Recovery Disk
    or
    Product Recovery CD or DVD
    or *Manufactrures name* Product Recovery

or something of that nature.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thank you

Oldsod