Thread: HELP !! Win32.Bugbear.B cant be removed by ZA SS

fulviahf Guest

Default HELP !! Win32.Bugbear.B cant be removed by ZA SS

Having been a Symantec NAV user for many years, I recently decided to moveto ZA SS - Was this a mistake???
    After ZA SS did its usual AV scan a few days ago it the scan results indicated that I had Win32.Bugbear.B and Win32.Bugbear.B:corrupt buried
    in my Temporary Internest Files directory AND that NO Treatment was available for this virus.
    I obtained the Symantec FixBugb tool and ran the scan. It did nor find the virus on my system. This morning, I ran the ZA AV scan and it reported the virus again.
    Now I am in a quandry as FixBugb.exe does not report the occurance of the virus, but ZA SS does. I am actually quite alarmed that ZA SS is not able to take corrective action. What is worse of course is that the path to the location of the virus as reported by the ZA SS AV scan is buried deep withing the bowels of the Temporary Internet Files folder and is not accessable via Win Explorer.
    Can anyone shed some light on this issue please? Any recommendations will be most appreciated.WinXP Pro SP2ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:6.5.737.000
    TrueVector version:6.5.737.000
    Driver version:6.5.737.000
    Anti-virus Vet engine version:11.9.1.000
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:11.9.10079.000
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.83.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200611.565
    AntiSpam version:4.8.2.7565

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:6.5

Default Re: HELP !! Win32.Bugbear.B cant be removed by ZA SS

To enable the viewing of Hidden files follow these steps:
    Close all programs so that you are at your desktop.
    Double-click on the My Computer icon.
    Select the Tools menu and click Folder Options.
    After the new window appears select the View tab.
    Put a checkmark in the checkbox labeled Display the contents of system folders.
    Under the Hidden files and folders section select the radio button labeled Show hidden files and folders.
    Remove the checkmark from the checkbox labeled Hide file extensions for known file types.
    Remove the checkmark from the checkbox labeled Hide protected operating system files.
    Press the Apply button and then the OK button and shutdown My Computer.
    Now your computer is configured to show all hidden files.

Then delete the file(s) and clean the Recycle Bin and rescan.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

fulviahf Guest

Hi to one Oldsod from another.
    Many thanks for the suggestion. I have 2 x XP Pro SP2 systems here both of which I had already setup to show systems files and hidden files, folders etc as you suggested. I also have my trusty Win2K Pro system set up the same way. Neither of the XP systems display the hidden directories in Temporary Internet Files directory whereas the Win2K Pro system does. I am wondering if this is normal behaviour for XP Pro SP2 these days as I was pretty sure that I should be able to view the /Content.IE5/ contents on my XP system - but I many be getting confused with the Win2K Pro system.
    However, that is not the real issue which is why does ZA SS identify the virus files but is incapable of dealing with them effectively. After all, Win32.Bugbear.B has been around for some time now. I am beginning to regret changing from NAV after using this product for only a month.

Check out the Folder Options in the Control Panel.

I expect the ZA version 7 will be available next month or so. There will be a brand new antivirus (KAV6) and the present engine/definition list will be completely replaced. There will be an improvement. The ZA AntiSpy will be improved and the ZA OS firewall will be stronger. Something to look forward to seeing.

Oldsod

Message Edited by Oldsod on 11-26-2006 01:58 PM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

fulviahf Guest

Hi Oldsod - The Control Panel's Folder Options are the same. Beats me.

:-((
    In the meantime I have just completed a full scan using the Microsoft PC Safety Scan (http://safety.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm) which discovered all the old files quarantined by NAV and one or two other sus files but did not uncover the Win32.Bugbear.B virus files in the Temp Internet Files directory which ZA SS was reporting so I guess that is a Furphy.
    Will wait and see how the new ZA SS 7 performs. Thanks for your assistance.
    Best regards.

Glad to see it wasn't so bad after all and just false positives.

Maybe checking out the MS site and see about revealing the hidden folders in your free time is a good idea.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

fulviahf Guest

Thanks again for the further suggestion which of course I tried long before. On that occassion I was not able to find anything. Seems that this is buried and MS dont want people messing with it.
    There are a few options left:
    1. call MS and
      get a solution over the phone.
    2. delete the contents of Temp Internet Files via IE->Tools->Internet Options - but that is a drastic
      solution, dont you think?
    3. Wait for ZA SS V7 and see what happens when that is installed

Out of curiosity I think I will call MS. I would be willing to pay for the call to figure out why I cant get to those hidden folders when I have everything set to show them. If I can do that tonioght and get a solution I will let you know.

Cheers

Do a System File Check yet?
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information