Thread: Re: New Tool To Scan Sites For Exploits

_sig_ Guest

Default Re: New Tool To Scan Sites For Exploits

Hi, I just used the online scanner that your link directed me to. Have you heard of any "false positives" with this site/product? I just scanned a link that one of the guru's posted here in this forum and it came back as malicious(100-downloads.com). I thought that this "Link Scanner" was a great idea until I seen that negative for a link within these forums. I assumed and am hoping that it is a false positive.

SIG

Can you give me the link to the post your talking about?

_sig_ Guest

Oops, think I made a mistake. Are you talking about the post with the link that showed up "bad" through linkscanner? I will have to search for it.

SIG

Message Edited by -SIG- on 12-11-200602:26 AM

Edit: posted the link for your post for linkscanner not thinking that you meant the post with the questionable site.

Message Edited by -SIG- on 12-11-200602:37 AM

_sig_ Guest

Hmm... I just did a search for the site I seen and scanned through linkscanner and it has suspiciously gone. I know for a fact that there was a post with that site here in these forums. Then again maybe I've gone mad. Anyway, concerning "Linkscanner" have you ever heard of any false positives? The whole reason I posted this thread is because I was assuming that the site was a false positive seeing that I found it in this forum.

_sig_ Guest

I just did a google search and found the link to the post I seen here. When I clicked on it I got a page that said that an exepction occured and that it was a live feed that was continually changing. I then clicked on the "cached" link and seen the "text" version of the post. I don't know why I couldn't find it again through the search feature but, I do know that it was a post here in these forums.

SIG

"http://www.google.com/search?q=100-d...amp;sa=N" it's on page seven of the search.

Message Edited by -SIG- on 12-11-200603:08 AM

_sig_ Guest

Greb49er, you still there? You still didn't respond to my "Q" on whether or not Linkscanner would give false positives or not and, was curious if you looked at the google search results I found with the forum post/rss feed that clearly shows that the post I seen here with that link with the bad result in Linkscanner was actually here. Ofcourse now it's gone but, I know for a sure that on the day of my O/P it was there. I appologize for my lack of attention in my previous posts, I can be a lame brain most of the time and get in a hurry to reply without reading thoroughly.

SIG

Of course it's possible for any scanner to have false positives. I believe what link scanner is alerting on is one of the downloads at this site may not be trustworthy. This may or may not be true the only way for me to check would be go through all the downloads and scan them myself which really isn't feasible. So the link was removed with the thought better to error the on the safe side.I'm not saying this site is malicious but since there was an alert the post was removed from the forum.

_sig_ Guest

Greb49er, okay thanks for the reply. I almost thought that I was insane when I couldn't find the post through the forum search option. I knew that I seen the post here. I didn't mean to have the post removed especially if linkscanner made a mistake. That is why I posted my "Q" about whether or not it had given false positives in the past. I seen the post about "linkscanner" and just scanned that link because it was the most recent link I seen. Thanks again for the reply.

SIG

Thread Information