Thread: ZA Internet Security Suite 6.5.737 AV Scan hangs on WIN32.W32Downloader.GPM

ancatdubher Guest

Default ZA Internet Security Suite 6.5.737 AV Scan hangs on WIN32.W32Downloader.GPM

I ran a complete system scan for virus and spyware (heuritics enabled).
    Half way through, the "currently scanning" file showed WIN32.W32Downloader.GPM and a small red message saying "1 Infection found"..
    After that, ZA just hung for over 2 hours, still saying scanning...
    While the ZA Firewall (and the rest of the computer) worked fine("unhanged&quot, i had to cancel and restart the scan, this time only for Viruses.
    Again the scan hung at the same file for 3 hours...

I am unable to find specific information or tool for this virus..
    Is this a virus at all? Or false positive?
    (Have not seen any tell-tale virus attack signs yet though )

-------------
    Version info:
    -------------
    ZA IS Suite: 6.5.737
    AV : 5.0.83.0
    AV Updated: Today 26-Dec-2006 @ 09 am..

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:6.5

inuka Guest

Default Re: ZA Internet Security Suite 6.5.737 AV Scan hangs on WIN32.W32Downloader.GPM

I got the same problems after the new AV engine update.Try to run scan one by one.I mean first run antivirus scan and then see the results.then try to run spy ware scan.Do not try Scan fot Antivirus/Spyware button.Always do separate scan for AV & spyware. New AV engine is bit slow but it can scan more files now.I think new Av engine have some problem with spyware engine.

msaltz Guest

Default Re: ZA Internet Security Suite 6.5.737 AV Scan hangs on WIN32.W32Downloader.GPM

I've been having the same problem. I tried to run the spyware scan by itself but got the same result. I suspect that there is a corrupt file because I run ZA on other computers without a problem. Does this sound right? Is it possible that the best solution is simply to remove the program and then reinstall it? Any other solution?
    Mike

jabal Guest

I am also using ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:6.5.737.000 under Win XP SP2. 26 Dec., both the AV and Spyware scans stalled on Win32.W32downloader.gpm with the DURATION counter frozen.
    Today, 27 Dec., I ran updates for AV and Spyware and rescanned. This time, the AV scan stalled on Win32.xcodex with the same symptoms. Searched the web for both Win32 entities
    using DOGPILE and

multi search engine at www.multi-search-engine.com. but only came up with references to entries in this forum and other sales promos for Spyware Doctor, Noadware etc.
    Trying some new approaches. Will report back.

jerrylip Guest

Had the same problem. I ran a virus scan on My Pictures folder. Everything worked okay after.

dennismtl Guest

My spyware performed today
    scan also hung on this WIN32.W32Downloader.GPM...does anyone know what this is about.

ade Guest

Hi.

Mine did this too following a scan last Friday (22nd Dec) and today also.

galande Guest

Default I think the problem may not be with WIN32.W32Downloader.GPM

My full system scans also started to hang after I installed the new AV engine, but it has been hanging on different files at different times. Other users have reported their scans have stopped when the engine was scanning for a different piece of malware. My AV doesn't show that there is any infection in my system at the time the scans hang. I still cannot get a full scan to complete, but if I stop the scan and ask the AV to manually scan the files (or folders) that it hung on, there is no problem. Personally, I think there's something wrong with the AV engine itself. What I am doing (for now) is stopping the scan when it hangs and manually scanning whatever files were left out--a hassle, but better safe than sorry. Oddly enough, I can MANUALLY scan the entire folder where the hanging problem seems to take place, and the AV DOES NOT HANG.

For the record, I am using ZASS 5.5094.0000, which doesn't have Antispyware. I use another program for that.

mikesc Guest

Default Re: I think the problem may not be with WIN32.W32Downloader.GPM

I have experienced similar problems since mid to late December, with AV hang-ups
    on different files.
    The duration counter freezes for some considerable time.
    No infections are reported.
    I am using XP SP2 and 6.5.737.
    Do we all have a problem with our PCs or is it a ZA issue?

guitarbob Guest

Sometimes an antivirus program has trouble handling certain file types--such as a certain kind of packed
    or compressed file.
    When this occurs, it may "hang,"
    and it should have an error handling routine if so.
    If this is the
    problem, it is an example of poor program code and inaequate testing before release.
    As has been previously mentioned, the best thing to do in this case, after you are sure it is hung (give it 10 minutes or so), is to stop the scan and then manually continue scanning the unscanned files/directories by right clicking on them from Windows Explorer.
    It might be helpful to have a backup scanner, but if you do, you should disable its
    resident capability and use it "on demand" only so as not to strain your processor and keep scan time down.
    Regards,

Thread Information