Thread: Getting rid of smitfraud-c

eguser Guest

Default Getting rid of smitfraud-c

I don't know enough to know if smitfraud-c is malware or a trojan horse, or what.
    However, i installed Zone Alarm with hopes of ZA finding and getting rid of it.
    It DID NOT, and so I am asking if anyone can tell me how to get rid of smitfraud-c.Thank you for your help!

Operating System:
    Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:

Message Edited by eguser on 01-22-200710:37 PM

Software Version:6.5

Default Re: Getting rid of smitfraud-c

http://siri.geekstogo.com/SmitfraudFix.php

will do it or use this freeware..

http://www.superantispyware.com/

Many spyware are specilized and varied and work in different ways and no single antispy scanner will detect and remove all spyware. Users that get spyware should use several scanners to find/remove their spyware.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

eguser Guest

Thanks for the help; I'll give it a shot!!

After you get it done (or prior to it) I suggest that you go to the CastleCops Hijackthis forum, http://www.castlecops.com/f67-Hijack...ans_Oh_My.html, read the stickies at the top, then post a hijackthis log and have someone help you make sure you are clean. Many times Smitfraud is the tip of the iceberg. CastleCops has a lot of great people that will help you out to make sure all malware is gone from your computer.If it was possible that you installed ZA on top of some malware infestation, I suggest you clean your computer good, then come back here so we can help walk you thru a full uninstall and reinstall, just to make sure you are secure.
    My homes are SpywareHammer.com and DonHoover.net and BleepingComputer.com

Consumer Security - 2011 & 2012

Tilting at windmills hurts you more than the windmills.
    -From the Notebooks of Lazarus Long
    Senior of the Howard Families

greatwhitewhale Guest

Thank you OldSod. I happened upon this thread in a search of a way to deal with smitfraud. Strangely neither AVG nor ZAP, which I run 24/7, picked it up - even when I ran scans.

I had viewed other fixes for sf on other forums but they were rather daunting to me, a non technical computer user.

I downloaded the free version of SuperAntiSpy and not only did the scan pick up all manner of places sf was lurking but it got rid of it with the push of just the one button. At the moment I am trying out the 'pay' for version - SuperAntiSpy Pro - and will most certainly buy it, all else being equal.

I was wondering if I could indulge your good nature on a couple of points. Would you advise running SuperAntiSpy Pro 24/7 in place of either AVG or ZAP or should I use it in parallel with them both. I also use a traffic shaping (whatever that might be) program call CfosSpeed. It's quite excellent and it allows me to surf at reasonable speeds whilst at the same time up and downloaded bit torrents. I get the impression that CfosSpeed hasn't been as effective since I've been running SuperAntiSpy Pro. It's been sending me messages saying that it's having difficulty pinging. I've no idea if these messages are in anyway connected with SuperAS Pro. I was wondering if you could suggest a way I could find out it CfosSpeed & SuperAS Pro are compatible bedfellows, as it were.

Thank you again for your help. It's wonderful to think that there are people like you who are happy to help complete strangers.

Hi GreatWhiteWhale

The need/purpose/action/security of the software firewall (the ZA) and the antivirus (AVG) cannot be replaced by an antispy (Superantispyware). The first two are very important. They cannot be replaced by any antispy, so do not remove the FW and the AV.

Running the FW and a P2P and a traffic shaping and a spyscanner maybe too much for the TCP/IP stack of the Windows OS. It may not be that important to have the Superantispyware run in full time. Perhaps just using the freeware version is sufficent.

Question: Have you disabled the QoS RSVP in the Services and the QoS Packet Scheduler in the Properties of the Network Connections? Has it made any difference in the SuperAS and the Cfospped issues? Was the QoS Packet Scheduler actually enabled or installed?
    Changing the two setting may fix this and maybe not.
    Just a thought.

Take care

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

"Peer-to-Peer file sharing issues

If you run a Peer-to-Peer (P2P) file sharing system such as KaZaA, Morpheus, Grokster, Gnutella, LimeWire, WinMX, or eDonkey2000, you may expect the following problems unless you make specific configuration changes:
    your cable modem connection will be continually hitting the rate cap, leading to apparent poor bandwidth for other applications;
    your ping times will look bad;
    your traceroutes will look bad, even on the very first hop to the local UBR;
    your online games will show terrible latency;
    your firewall might detect hundreds or thousands of incoming connection attempts;
    if your PC is behind a NAT router, the P2P application might not work properly.

Be aware that most P2P systems will run in the background even when their window is not open. Because of their P2P nature, they are capable of loading your cable connection even when you are not downloading files: other users might be causing your PC to be uploading to them, or your PC might be acting as a SuperNode server, passing on search requests from other P2P clients.

The problem of hitting the rate cap is the same in nature as that described for on-line gaming. The P2P application sees a network connection via an ethernet or USB interface and assumes a fast network such as a LAN. It does not realise that the cable modem connection will impose a rate cap. As soon as P2P traffic hits the rate cap (especially the upload rate cap), ping times will go through the roof, and other applications will suffer. The general strategy to avoid this is:
    if the P2P application supports its own internal rate capping, configure the internal rate cap to be substantially less than the cable modem upload rate cap;
    if it doesn't, make sure that you can totally close down the P2P application when using other critical applications, such as online games;
    on a low bandwidth cable connection (e.g. 32 kbps upload cap or less), you must turn off SuperNode support.

The P2P application will expect to receive incoming connections from other users. If you run a firewall or a NAT router, you must configure them to accept those connections, otherwise the P2P application might not work properly, and/or your firewall log might be inundated with messages about attempted connections."

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d...mtips/p2p.html

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

greatwhitewhale Guest

Thank you OldSod for your continued help. I tried to catch my neighbour's son this weekend to see if he could interpret the technicalities of your last two posts. I wasn't able to capture him as his girlfriend is visiting and I don't like to interrupt. I was wondering if you could explain your questions and advice about disabling things.

I run Windows2k and download torrents from UK nova using the utorrent program. I don't know if this counts as P2P. Although I have a broadband line I live quite a way from the telephone exchange. The potential speed of my line is up to 8mb and .5mb but I am usually connected at about half that rate. My ISP is AOL and I use a BT105 modem (not a router). I have recently taken to using the AOL dialer to connect to the internet rather than the full AOL package.

Thread Information