Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ZAIS unable to scan drive D, recovery drive. Why? Infection?

bridezilla Guest

Default ZAIS unable to scan drive D, recovery drive. Why? Infection?

Hello. I have Zone Alarm IS 6.5, windows XP media edition, AMD dual core processor 3800 X 64, HP pavilion a1430n, 250 GB HD, 4 GB RAM. In addition to ZAIS, I have AVG free version, spybot, spyware doctor, pc tools registry mechanic, and windows defender. Zone Alarm currently has a virus in lockdown, WIN32.Thorin. The last virus I deleted from quarantine and had lots of problems. So today I do a full scan, and for the first time I see many entries for every file in drive D, which is the recovery drive, and it says ZA tried to scan the files but was unable to. Does this mean I have a virus? Thank you for all help, and your time.
    Cindy

Operating System:Windows XP Pro x64
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:6.5

zaswing Guest

Default Re: ZAIS unable to scan drive D, recovery drive. Why? Infection?

I don't have ZA in front of me now, but it sounds like scanning within the archives is failing. If I recall, there's a setting on one of the virus subwindows to tell it to scan within archives or skip. Is your recovery data of the archive variety (NTbackup, True Image, ghost...) or just plain directory copies? Are you having any trouble on the C drive scanning within Spybot's archives or not? I used to have that problem but that was in v5.

bridezilla Guest

Thank you for writing back. I have set everything to scan as in depth as possible, and I back up to DVD. I tried NT backup once and now have several CD's that will not open because windows does not know who created them, and so on. If you would recommend a good back-up program, that would be very appreciated. This is the first time I have had this issue with the D drive. Is it a problem to have ZA Security Suite anti virus running as well as AVG antivirus? I had heard that ZA was getting an improved antivirus program by merging with another company. If true, did this happen with the release of the new beta 7 version? I have a paid subscription to ZA for the rest of my life, do you recommend upgrading to the beta 7 version? The last time I upgraded Firefox from 1.8 to 2.0, I had so many problems that I was nuts. Took me several days to figure out that it was firefox and not a virus. I went back to the 1.8 version, and I use Firefox or Opera, avoiding IE, even though I have IE7, I still do not like it. I really appreciate your time and comments, thank you,
    Cindy

zaswing Guest

You sure asked a lot of questions :8} :8}
    1. "If you would recommend a good back-up program, that would be very appreciated."Well, I'd go at Acronis True Image. I tested it several times with various recovery procedures (from their boot CD, or from Windows) and various backup procedures (in Acronis safe mode, or while Windows ran), all backups to external drive(s) and found it good. But go over to Wilders http://www.wilderssecurity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65
    and see if there are issues with your machine. My system is >2 years old, no problems. Acronis TI allows you to do full images or selected directory backups. I haven't found much use for the latter, as copy and paste and rename with a date does the job for me when needed. User interface is the most unambigous, the best in ANY program I have ever seem. Just my opinion.Be aware that you'll see complaints there, just as here. Don't forget that people who post about problems are not a representative sample of a population of all users, most of them satisfied.
    2. "Is it a problem to have ZA Security Suite anti virus running as well as AVG antivirus?"YES. Definitely yes if both run all the time. If you use AVG just to scan but it's not normally running you're ok, but I'd shut off ZA and pulll the internet cable during the scan if traces of AVG are in your computer. You MAY run severall anti-spyware units (Spybot, Spyware Blaster, many others and better exist) together with the AS module in ZA.
    3. "I had heard that ZA was getting an improved antivirus program by merging with another company. If true, did this happen with the release of the new beta 7 version?"No merger that I know of. They'll just use Kaspersky virus engine instead of CA. Yes, it's in 7 beta. I gather it's fabulous at detections and the updates will be coming in a more timely fashion. A lot of non-suite users and gurus here use ZAPro + Kaspersky.
    4. "I have a paid subscription to ZA for the rest of my life, do you recommend upgrading to the beta 7 version?"Absolutely NOT. In my opinion. Unless you have two computers. Beta is beta, it means it CAN break your system. It's like getting Vista the day it comes out Wait till it's a release version, and wait some more after that. Hey, HOW did you get a lifetime subscription? Whose lifetime? Your? Computer? Zone Labs? BTW I'm still using ZA suite 6.1 - haven't had the guts to go to 6.5 on XP, although the free version 6.5 works great on a Windows2000 machine.
    5. "I use Firefox or Opera, avoiding IE, even though I have IE7, I still do not like it. "Most people who have Firefox or Opera love it, and I think upgrade problems are minor, though yours sounds like a bad mess happened. I can't comment. Still stupid enough to use IE which inspite of me updated to IE7. It works ok though, but I don't like it. Took me forever to get the normal IE menu to be visible on the top of the window where it should be.
    One of those days I'll bite the bullet

Message Edited by zasuiteuser on 01-13-200708:28 PM

Message Edited by zasuiteuser on 01-13-200708:30 PM

zaswing Guest

Your first thread began with issues about scanning a backup drive.Well, I just did the same. I have Acronis Images there. I'm using ZASS v6.1.I did not find any settings for 'scan within archives'I did find a location to specify drive and directory.
    I scanned that directory where image files are. The scan took less than a second. It didn't scan. The image is 10gig. ZA log says it scanned. I don't believe it. No error indication at all. It just says "scan completed".
    Then I told it to scan the entire external drive. It ran on the directories before the images. Then it finished. ZA log says it scanned the drive. I don't believe it.
    No error indication at all. It just says "scan completed".
    Bottom line. I don't scan external drive. I scan the computer BEFORE backing up. Since external drives are always disconnected, I see no danger to any data there, since, at least in theory, only clean computer is imaged.
    I suppose we should both submit bug report to ZA, and possibly link this thread to it. For me it won't work, as I have not been able to get any help due to older version.

bridezilla Guest

That's funny because I just tried to scan the D drive from my computer, and I tried what Hoov asked, which was whether I could scan individual files with a right click. All the MSOcache files and Recovery files instantly said done, which they could not have been, and the ZA log gave me an okay for the Recovery file, but the same error messages for the MSOcache file, even though it looked like it was scanning. This is the first time I have ever had this issue.

I'm sorry I asked so many questions, but your answers were terrific, and since I just returned from walking the hounds, I am on the computer following your advice. I have removed AVG from the computer, the Kaspersky was the av engine I heard they would use, I had gotten it mixed up. Do they also own Kaspersky? What ever, I had read that the Kaspersky av engine was better at detection than whatever ZA currently has, but thanks for telling me about Beta, I will definitely not download and try. The only reason I had AVG is that it found viruses that ZA did not.

I do not have any external drives, but my results were exactly like the ones you just wrote about. It says "done", with no other comment. I know some of these scans were not done. I will be happy to send whatever you think I should to Zone labs, I just have a feeling that it is related to a ZA scan I did a few weeks ago that said I had a virus that Zone could not treat. The only virus in the quarantine area is WIN32.Thorin11938. It has been there 23 days, and the message is that it is not affecting my machine while quarantined. Maybe the message is wrong. I backed up my documents with Sonic, and I think I need to do something to fix this thing before it gets worse.

I was exaggerating about the lifetime, and I meant mine. My cousin gave me a subscription last birthday, since she knew I had been using it and liked it, and mine was about to run out. She is renewing it for the next 10 years for me. Pretty thoughtful. She is the head of a division that writes code for the National Library of Medicine at NIH. I am getting ready to go to vet school next September, and am required to take 1 semester of C++ programming (don't know why), as a biology major. I only have 3 classes remaining to take to graduate with my bio degree, and guess which one I am repeating this semester? Right - C++. I took it last semester, hated it, love the professor, and will be repeating. I had been out of school for 20 some years before I went back, managed to do well in organic, calculus, etc, but can't pass C++.

Last question, any good removal programs that you know of? I figured I would turn system restore off, go into safe mode and run something to clean this machine. Semester starts end of January, and I need it working well and healthy. Thank you again, I'll leave the computer on all evening. Cindy

bridezilla Guest

Hi again. I just took the advice of unhappy_viewer, another ZA expert who has a board on malware. The line "Zone has found a virus and cannot treat" means you have a trojan. I followed his exact advice, downloaded AVG anti-spyware, updated it and ZA manually, shut down, restarted in Safe Mode (turned off system restore), and ran first the AVG anti-spyware, then ZA. The AVG found 492 problems, all cookies except 'backdoor.inject.a'. This was found in two files which are now quarantined. I would like to delete these files completely, since I will never open them. The problem I'm still having is that the log file in ZA still says that it could not open any files in D to even scan them, but I watched the scan in safe mode, and it looks as if it did scan each file. So I don't know what the problem is, except I'm glad I found the backdoor thing because I knew there was something wrong with the machine. I might try scanning again now that I am in normal mode. I'll let you know what happens.
    Cindy

bridezilla Guest

Hi again. Well I did get rid of the backdoor.inject.a, and I deleted the others that were in quarantine. Now my computer is painfully slow, pages will not open, I'm losing my mind. Would a hijack this log help? The closer to school it gets, the more I'm panicking. What's wrong with this thing?

Cindy

East Coast of Florida - Lightening/Shark Bite Capital of the World

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum!

YES, I agree with you, about having a web site perform an HJT Log on you. Here is the link for the one at CastleCops.

http://www.castlecops.com/f67-Hijack...ans_Oh_My.html

PLEASE DO NOT POST YOUR LOG ON THIS FORUM. PLEASE let the people at CastleCops take care of your HJT problems, as they are highly trained in this area of Malware Infections, THANKS.

SlyFox
    "Politeness costs nothing and gains everything".

Click here for ZA Support

Avail. 24x7 - Excl. Holiday

10. Join Date
    Dec 2002

Have you cleaned your temp file, your internet cache and defragged your harddrive?Try those, then look into the windows admin tools in the event viewer and see if there are any entries there that indicate a failure or problem. Something since or during the last reboot.
    My homes are SpywareHammer.com and DonHoover.net and BleepingComputer.com

Consumer Security - 2011 & 2012

Tilting at windmills hurts you more than the windmills.
    -From the Notebooks of Lazarus Long
    Senior of the Howard Families

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information