Thread: CRSS.EXE

woodennickel Guest

Default CRSS.EXE

My pc was running slow, and I opened task manager, and found CRSS.EXE running.
    A search on the internet, in multiple places tells me this is connected to a worm.
    I have ensured my Zone Alarm (Security Suite, 2007) is up to date, and rescanned my PC.
    It is not finding this as a virus, or worm, or anything else.
    Any ideas?

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:7.0

Default Re: CRSS.EXE

Hi!what is the version of ZASS you have installed? Please got to Overview --> product info tab --> See True Vector version.If it is 6.5 I would recommend you to upgrade to version 7. To upgrade, please go to overview -->preferences --> uncheck "Load ZA at startup" --> Reboot --> Install version 7 (please disable/uninstall any other realtime security tools you have installed)Or if you want, please run these utlitity to try to get rid of that worm:You could try AVG antispyware (trial):www.ewido.net/downloadorDrWeb cure it free antivirus (to run in SAFE MODE): www.freedrweb.com Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

woodennickel Guest

It is version 6.5737 that I have.
    But I have 346 days left on this subscription... just purchased it.
    Obviously I just missed the new release.
    I'll have to try one of the other options you have presented.

Hi!your license key is valid also for ZASS 7. In fact the license in not version dependent (5,6,7,8) but time dependent)But I would suggest to try to clean your machine before upgrading.You can find the installer here: http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/fre...seHistory.htmland please note about this know issue with ZASS 7, they are not impacting on ZASS functionality but may be perceived as annoying: http://forum.zonelabs.com/zonelabs/b...ssage.id=61385and if you decide to upgrade please follow my previous instructions... when requested is recommended you choose a "clean" install over an "upgrade".Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

critterjoe Guest

<blockquote><hr>woodennickel wrote:
    My pc was running slow, and I opened task manager, and found CRSS.EXE running. A search on the internet, in multiple places tells me this is connected to a worm. I have ensured my Zone Alarm (Security Suite, 2007) is up to date, and rescanned my PC. It is not finding this as a virus, or worm, or anything else.Any ideas?

Operating System: Windows XP Pro
    Product Name: ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version: 7.0

<hr></blockquote>

You're sure the process you saw running in Task Manager is &quot;crss.exe&quot; and not &quot;csrss.exe&quot;, correct? I have a &quot;cSrss.exe&quot; running (Client Server Runtime). Do you show both processes running in Task Manager or only &quot;crss&quot;? If you have a &quot;crss&quot; , it must try to fool people by having a name similar to &quot;csrss.&quot; I don't know if a suspicious &quot;crss&quot; exists alongside &quot;csrss&quot;, or if it actually replaces &quot;csrss.&quot;

Have you done a file search in Windows Explorer to see where the file is located, i.e., what folder?

Also look in your ZA Control Panel at Program Control List. Is the executable &quot;crss.exe&quot; listed there (it may be under a common name rather than filename)? You will probably see Client Server Runtime listed, but that should be &quot;csrss.exe&quot; . Verify that by highlighting it and look at &quot;Entry Details&quot; in the yellow text box at the bottom, and you will see the actual file name/location/size, etc. Is there any extra program in that listing to explain the &quot;crss&quot;?

Message Edited by Critterjoe on 01-29-200710:13 PM

woodennickel Guest

Well critterjoe, don't I feel like a fool.
    It is cSrss.exe that is running.
    Thanks for that...if you only knew how much time I spent looking up the wrong name!
    Maybe I should buy some stronger glasses.

critterjoe Guest

<blockquote><hr>woodennickel wrote:
    Well critterjoe, don't I feel like a fool. It is cSrss.exe that is running. Thanks for that...if you only knew how much time I spent looking up the wrong name! Maybe I should buy some stronger glasses.
    <hr></blockquote>

Hey, you're welcome. I'm just happy you weren't infected. That is one way nasty worms and viruses try to fool people though. They change one letter in a name, or use the same filename but put it in a different folder, etc. so that it looks like a normal program.

People should look in their Task Manager periodically and get used to what all is in there. Once you do it enough, you can get a feel what is normal or not in there. The processes are in a column call Image Name. When I open it, mine are random at first. You can keep clicking on the words &quot;Image Name&quot; at the top of the column, and it will change the display to alphabetical order, which is easiest for me. Thanks for reporting back. Good luck!

Thread Information