Thread: not a virus:Client-IRC.Win32.mIRC.582

cska Guest

Default not a virus:Client-IRC.Win32.mIRC.582

After a AV scan I got message that Client-IRC.Win32.mIRC.582 was found. It is pointing to my mirc32.exe which I have installed on my PC. Is it normal? Can I ignore it?Or do I have to remove it?

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:7.0

Default Re: not a virus:Client-IRC.Win32.mIRC.582

Hi!yes, it is normal. Items detected as "not a virus" are not necessarily viruses or per se dangerous but software that may be used to spread malware. This is the case for IRC clients. If you do not want to have this threads ("not a virus") detected by the antivirus you can unckeck "enable extended database".1. Select Anti-virus / Anti-spyware|Main, then click Advanced Options.
    The Advanced Options dialog appears.
    2. Under Virus Management, select Scan Options.
    3. Select or clear the enable extended database check box, then click OK."...Although some programs considered to be suspicious by the extended database have the potential to harm your computer or to make your data vulnerable to hackers, there are many potentially benign applications that still will be detected as viruses during a
    scan. If you are using one of these applications, you can exclude it from antivirus scans by adding it to the exceptions list. You can add programs to the exceptions list by rightclicking the item in the Scan Results list and choosing Ignore Always from the menu.
    Once programs are on the exceptions list, they no longer will be detected during virus scans. If a virus was added to the exceptions list accidentally, you can remove it manually..."You can read more about extended antivirus database at:http://www.kaspersky.com/avupdatesCheers,Fax

Message Edited by fax on 02-02-2007 02:28 AM

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

cska Guest

but why it is displayed as active item after AV scan, although mIRC is not running on my system at this moment actually????

Hi!sorry, it is displayed active where?If you scan with the AV, the engine will detect it by its signature ("on demand")Or if you open it, the AV will detect it "on access".Fax

cska Guest

it is displayed as active in the AV scan result popup after the AV scan. You can decide what action you would like to have for the files which have virus and are active in the moment, .....quarantine, delete, .... And Mirc is as active item, but it is not running on my system. Is it normal?

<blockquote>
    </blockquote>

Yes, it is normal..Right click on the item and than you can set it to "ignore always".Fax

cska Guest

if I set item to &quot;ignore always&quot; from AV where can I find this item in ZASS to remove it for ex. ?

Hi!you should find it in the "antispyware/antivirus", advanced option, virus management --&gt; ExceptionsFax

cska Guest

but there are the viruses or &quot;not-a-virus&quot; listed there and not the files which I d like to exclude from scan. Is it normal?Is it possible to exclude certain file?

You can exclude detection of viruses/spyware, these will be listed in "exclusion list". You cannot exclude files from "on access" scanning but only threats.You can exclude files/folders from "on demand" via the "scan targets", in virus management, advanced options of the Antivirus/antispyware tab.Fax

Thread Information