Thread: New Virus - "Win32/Slerpon.A" ???

the_professor Guest

Default New Virus - "Win32/Slerpon.A" ???

Hi All..
    I have had two instances of ZoneAlarm reporting the pressence of an active threat "Win32/Slerpon.A" With a threat level of high.
    It seems to come with some spam, as each time this alert has popped up, there has been a spam that has just come in. If I
    empty Zone Labs Spam from within Outlook, then do another Virus scan, nothing is found.
    Coming back to the virus alert popup, when I select either "delete" or "quarantine" from the actions available, it always says "error"...cannot automatically deal with this threat.
    If I select "what to do next", it says use Google to search for the virus name and the word "removal".
    I have searched for all combinations of "Win32/Slerpon.A", and I only ever find lots of Win32 viruses, but nothing that includes Slerpon. This includes the Zone LAbs site.
    If the product identifies it, and indeed says it is high level threat, then I would have thought there would be some other reference to it somewhere.
    Have I encountered
    a virus, Is it so new that no-one has seen it yet -I'm not that special, If no-one has seen it, how come ZoneAlarm can identify it???
    Any help in dealing with this appreciated.
    Regards

Operating System:
    Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:

Message Edited by THE_PROFESSOR on 02-02-200701:36 PM

Message Edited by THE_PROFESSOR on 02-02-200701:41 PM

Message Edited by THE_PROFESSOR on 02-02-200702:10 PM

Message Edited by THE_PROFESSOR on 02-02-200707:46 PM

flyyourway Guest

Default Re: New Virus - "Win32/Slerpon.A" ???

It isnt really a NEW virus as it might be a variant,CA just recently added your virus to its database and if you go here you can read up about removal http://www3.ca.com/support/vicdownlo...aspx?CID=69706

the_professor Guest

Default Re: New Virus - "Win32/Slerpon.A" ???

Thanks Fly for your input...
    That link takes me to a CA site that shows that - yes it is a virus, and
    it is detected and cured by a specific version of the CA detection engine, but nothing about the virus - with the possible exception of the free online scan that - might detect and remove...
    Looked in their Virus database, and it only shows which version of the Vet engine detects it, and what date the detection for this virus was added...3rd Feb.
    But I think that (I HOPE) I have not been infected, just encountered the nasty in some spam, ZAIS has stopped it but can't deal with it ...but I guess I should try the online scan...prob take a while, as I have 700 Gig in 900k files, and you have to allow and AxtiveX control from CA to do this... I assume this is fine...any thoughts...
    I guess one of the things I am really looking for is a description of the virus and what it does, so I can understand if I AM infected or ZAIS has stopped it "doing it's thing", so I can then decide if I
    should stop internet banking for example?
    Thanks and Cheers

Message Edited by THE_PROFESSOR on 02-03-200701:24 PM

Message Edited by THE_PROFESSOR on 02-03-200701:34 PM

Operating System:
    Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:

Message Edited by THE_PROFESSOR on 02-03-200701:35 PM

the_professor Guest

Default Re: New Virus - "Win32/Slerpon.A" ??? - Getting desperate...

Looks like I do have the virus...
    Another 2 warning popups from ZAISS with the warning - could not deal with it.
    This time there was no incoming spam, so this one was resident...
    Getting desperate now..
    Any help in sorting this much appreciated.
    Thanks

Message Edited by THE_PROFESSOR on 02-03-200710:42 PM

flyyourway Guest

Default Re: New Virus - "Win32/Slerpon.A" ??? - Getting desperate...

Try scanning with ZASS in safe mode see if it corrects the problem.

the_professor Guest

Default Re: New Virus - "Win32/Slerpon.A" ??? - Getting desperate...FIXED WOO HOO

Thanks Fly!..
    Rebooting into safe mode detected it and no reappearance for two days now.
    Cheers

Message Edited by THE_PROFESSOR on 02-07-200712:51 PM

flyyourway Guest

Default Re: New Virus - "Win32/Slerpon.A" ??? - Getting desperate...FIXED WOO HOO

Great glad it has been resolved.

Thread Information