Thread: Nero 7.7.5.1 Worm?

ablicazines Guest

Default Nero 7.7.5.1 Worm?

I have just downloaded the nero 7.7.5.1 Trial from nero site and Zone Alarm detected a worm on install, i forgot what is it. if needed, can anyone tell me how i can get the log, cos now after i fixed the problem in ZoneAlarm by deleting the worm nothing is detected. but i am still concerened about any other worms if any in nero. i thought nero is a reputable company? i think it may be a tool bar nero installs optionally.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:7.0

cometbaby Guest

Default Re: Nero 7.7.5.1 Worm?

Funny you should mention this. I installed that program yesterday and I noticed that they have added something called *Home*. I strongly suspect this is the problem.

It appears to be some sort of media center control .. it wants to manage all of your photos, music etc. so that everything will open in Nero. I hate this kind of thing and I refused to give it those permissions when I installed it (unchecked all the boxes).

It insists on being allowed to run .. I was getting several notifications in ZA. Taking a look, I see that it tried to install in three different instances as follows:

Product name Nero Home
    File name C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\Lib\NMIndexingService.exe
    Last policy update Not applicable
    Version 1, 7, 11, 0
    Last modified date 1/15/2007 16:01:56
    File size 260 KB

Product name Nero Home
    File name C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\Lib\NMBgMonitor.exe
    Version 1, 7, 11, 0
    Last modified date 1/15/2007 16:14:54
    File size 144 KB

Product name Nero Home
    File name C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\Lib\NMIndexStoreSvr.exe
    Version 1, 7, 11, 0
    Last modified date 1/15/2007 16:13:50
    File size 1180 KB

It installed some sort of menu on my toolbar for it's media center. I don't like having it and would like to disable all of it's functions. I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't attempting some sort of key logging to that it can phone home. Will be eager to see what others have to say about this.

CometBaby

Thread Information