Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 180search Assistant

paul_k Guest

Default Re: 180search Assistant

<blockquote><hr>zasuiteuser wrote:
    And after you put it back, what did the subsequent scan say?</blockquote>

A subsequent scan found the same, supposed problem. I've run my ZA update a couple of times, watching for any sign of an update from Zone Labs, but so far nothing.

I'm sure that quarantining an empty folder, which is what ZA wanted to do, accomplishes nothing if there is a true infection.

paul_k Guest

I agree, it's a false positive - in my case at least.

As stated in my previous posts on this subject, the registry key that ZA is putting in quarantine status is an empty entry. When you examine that entry with the Rededit.exe Registry Editor program (before it's quarantined), it contains nothing at all. In regedit, it appears as an empty folder, on my PC. An Internet search for 180Search Assistant will lead you to documents that show the numerous files that would be on your computer, if you were truly infected.

In fact, the entry ZA wants to quarantine is only one of 81 empty keys that exist in that same registry key
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Control\Cl ***\{8ECC055D-047F-11D1-A537-0000F8753ED1}\0000 (thru 0080)
    on my computer.

If other spyware/virus scanners don't find it, and the other files that would exist, if infected, are not there, then it's most likely a false positive.

zaswing Guest

That's the sort of &quot;history report' and tests I've been looking for.
    An interesting observation has just been posted in the thread I linked to earlier. http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...ssage.id=17548
    and http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...ssage.id=17555
    As I see the truth table at this point:
    1. one-eighty trash is NOT on the computer,
    6.1 scan is correct,
    6.5 &amp; 7 scans are not.
    2. one-eighty trash IS

on the computer,
    6.1 scan is flawed,

6.5 &amp; 7 correct.
    Considering that other scanners see nothing, chances are pretty good, then, that it's the first scenario.The only way to test #2 is to force 180 in, then scan, which I'd rather not do
    But that spysweeper finding, in a way, has just demonstrated something of importance in MY OPINION.
    It's that change in the registry, at the legacy drivers level, that is bothersome.

scarletscribble Guest

I truly wish I'd thought to visit this forum BEFORE I wasted hours trying to remove 180search assistant from my PC last weekend!
    Thanks to all who have posted about this.
    While I was floundering around in a panic restoring system disc backups, I did notice something that may be relevant.
    I had disconnected from the internet (to prevent any possible re-infection) and running a system disc restored from a week-old backup that had ZA 7 installed.
    Scanned for spyware, no 180search found.
    I then reconnected to the internet and allowed ZA to update its spyware database only.
    Re-scanned, 180search warning popped up.
    Assuming this is a false positive (as I sincerely hope), does this mean it's a problem with the spyware database rather than ZA itself?

bendavid Guest

I would like to report the 180search Assistant is no longer being reported in the anti-spyware program of ZA Pro 7. Whether is was an update that corrected this problem I do not know, but I know I did the following: went and
    turned off
    my system restore. The went and deleted the 180 out
    of quarantine and then rebooted my system and then ran another scan and no 180. Went and took the check out and system restore turned back on....I only had this problem effect one of my systems...But I do thank you all for all the suggestions and hopefully no one else will report this problem...Ben_David

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>BenDavid wrote:
    I would like to report the 180search Assistant is no longer being reported in the anti-spyware program of ZA Pro 7. Whether is was an update that corrected this problem I do not know, but I know I did the following: went andturned offmy system restore. The went and deleted the 180 out of quarantine and then rebooted my system and then ran another scan and no 180. Went and took the check out and system restore turned back on....I only had this problem effect one of my systems...But I do thank you all for all the suggestions and hopefully no one else will report this problem...Ben_David
    <HR>all you had to do was Update your Anti-Spyware Definition to the following, which contained the fix to the 180 Search Assistant problem</BLOCKQUOTE>---------------------------------------
    ZA Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200702.965

---------------------------------------
    My Configuration:
    Operating System: Windows XP SP2 Home with IE7 MS Outlook 2003
    Product Name: ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version: 7.302.000
    TrueVector version:7.302.000
    Driver version:7.302.000

ZA Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.162.0
    ZA Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200702.995

Kaspersky Anti_Virus 6.0.0.303
    GeorgeV