Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winrar, Unrar and Win32.Trojan.Agent.aek False Positive?

digitalgypsy Guest

Default Winrar, Unrar and Win32.Trojan.Agent.aek False Positive?

Hello,

Last night I downloaded winrar from cnet. It's a 40 day trial.

Tonight I ran an anti-spyware scan and ZASS informed me that unrar.exe contained the Win32.Trojan.Agent.aek trojan. Has anyone else seen this? Anyone else heard of this Win32.Trojan.Agent.aek?

Thanks,
    Roger

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:7.0

Default Re: Winrar, Unrar and Win32.Trojan.Agent.aek False Positive?

Which version? I've got 3.62 and 3.61 installed on my work PCs - and no issues with viruses.

Hi!Same results here: Winrar 3.62 and ZASS 7, scanned the rar folder and have no infection.Try to downlaod it from the official site: http://www.rarlabs.com/download.htmCheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

It is possible the version on CNET could be infected by accident when it was uploaded. Use the official WinRAR web site mentioned below to make you have a official copy.

naivemelody Guest

It highly possible you got it from download.com
    of cnet.com. - this is the McAfee's SiteAdvisor 's details of download.com - Recommendations: do not download from cnet's download.com instead use the publisher's own website to install. If you do use download.com at the very least you will get unwanted third party tracking cookies, and then...you may catch
    up to
    12,000 little pieces of
    ^$#@ - see below.<hr>download.com

In our tests of this site, a very small percentage of its many downloads contained adware or other unwanted programs. However, download.com prohibits these programs and removes them when found.

Downloads we found on this site:

DownloadAnalysis

3D Space Asteroids (3DAsteroids.exe)

Comscore/Marketscore,Downloader-EV trojan

Absolute Video to Audio Converter (video2audio.exe)

Generic BackDoor.d trojan

Absolute Video to Audio Converter (video2audio.exe)

Generic BackDoor.d trojan

AceFTP Freeware (aceftp3free.exe)

Adware-WhenU,Adware-Url

Addax (addax_13l.exe)

Adware-WhenU,Adware-Url

12467 total downloads<hr>:8}NaiveMelody NYC 3-13-07~11:45pm e.s.t. - Get off of my cloud - the Rolling Stones

digitalgypsy Guest

Hello,

Thank you all for responding and I apologize for not responding back quicker. You all supplied very useful and interesting information.

I was using winrar 3.62. As soon as ZA spyware scan discovered the file, I quarantined the particular piece in question and then used the control panel -&gt; add/remove programs option to uninstal winrar.

From now on, I will use the actual software company's website to download software.

Here's some follow up questions for anyone that would like to respond...

1. Anytime I download anything, I right click on it and scan it with ZASS before I install it. Why didn't ZASS pick this up when I scanned it prior to install?

2. I performed a search on google for &quot;Win32.Trojan.Agent.aek&quot; and found no results except for a post on a Russian anti-spyware website. That particular site, when translated, states it was a false positive for the person asking the question. I'm wondering where I can read about this &quot;Win32.Trojan.Agent.aek&quot;? There doesn't seem to be a lot of information available according to Google.com.

Thanks,
    Roger

digitalgypsy Guest

Hello,

I apologize for the double post of this message. I should have originally posted as a reply to NaiveMelody and not to my own post.....

Thank you all for responding and I apologize for not responding back quicker. You all supplied very useful and interesting information.

I was using winrar 3.62. As soon as ZA spyware scan discovered the file, I quarantined the particular piece in question and then used the control panel -&gt; add/remove programs option to uninstal winrar.

From now on, I will use the actual software company's website to download software.

Here's some follow up questions for anyone that would like to respond...

1. Anytime I download anything, I right click on it and scan it with ZASS before I install it. Why didn't ZASS pick this up when I scanned it prior to install?

2. I performed a search on google for &quot;Win32.Trojan.Agent.aek&quot; and found no results except for a post on a Russian anti-spyware website. That particular site, when translated, states it was a false positive for the person asking the question. I'm wondering where I can read about this &quot;Win32.Trojan.Agent.aek&quot;? There doesn't seem to be a lot of information available according to Google.com.

Thanks,
    Roger

naivemelody Guest

Found it in Kaspersky's own website of all places - since your using ZA suite, that has Kaspersky av, put this link into your favorites list or bookmark -yes. - http://www.viruslist.com/en/find?wor...ojan.agent.aek
    .NaiveMelody NYC 3-15-07~2:11am e.s.t. - Hold on, I'm comin' - Sam and Dave

digitalgypsy Guest

Hello,

Thank you for the information.

When I visit that link, it does offer the opportunity to read more about my issue. Unfortunately, when I click on the name of the infection I'm dealing with, it states something along the lines of &quot;No further info available&quot;.

Thanks,
    Roger

digitalgypsy Guest

Hello,

Using my second computer which also runs ZASS, I downloaded winrar from the link you all provided in your post. I ran a scan and nothing was found. I then proceeded by installing winrar and ran another scan. ZASS informs me that unrar contains the same trojan as before.

Any ideas? False positive?

Thanks,
    Roger

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information