Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Virus - worm win32/SillyP2P.X how to get rid of it?

unusual_entity Guest

Default Virus - worm win32/SillyP2P.X how to get rid of it?

I did a virus scan of my computer and in the scan results it says Error in the Treatment Column and under Status it says No treatment is available for this item. Click to find out what to do next. Also under Imformation it says This file could not be scanned Error:E004000Bh.

I have clicked onto what to do next and it took me to to the help page: Treating virus files manually. In the yellow box it says this and it applies to me: If the results of a virus scan contain Error, No treatment available, or Treatment failed, it means that there is not yet a way to automatically remove the virus without risking the integrity of your computer or other files. In some cases, there may be manual treatments available to you. To find out, enter the name of the virus along with the word "removal" into a search engine, such as Google or Yahoo, to locate removal instructions. Otherwise, know that we're constantly researching viruses and developing safe ways to remove them.
    I have gone to this website for help but it's a bit confusing: http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/v....aspx?id=40290
    In part of this document it saysescription Win32.SillyP2P.A is a worm that spreads via peer-to-peer file sharing by targeting the KazaA network.
    <a target="_blank"></a>Method of Infection

When executed, Win32.SillyP2P.A
    sets the registry value below to ensure that it is
    executed at each
    Windows
    start:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run \&lt;name.exe&gt; = %path%\&lt;name.exe&gt;

Note:

- name.exe is the name of the executable file that contains the
    worm
    - %path% is the file path from where the worm is executed

The worm copies itself to
    system.exe in the hard-coded folder C:\Winnt\system32 and sets the registry value below:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run \system = C:\Winnt\system32\system.exe

The worm also creates a file netstat.html in the hard-coded
    location C:\Winnt\system32 .

How do I get too/access C:\Winnt\system32 through exploring my directory?

Could someone please help me

Thanks!

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:

sanjeevravindra Guest

Default Re: Virus - worm win32/SillyP2P.X how to get rid of it?

Hi!

Update your definitions and then boot to safe mode (Press F8 during boot up and select safe mode)
    Then perform full scan. This method has helped whenever I had the same problem.

Please let me know if doesn't work.

unusual_entity Guest

Thanks! :8}
    I did what you said but I still got the same result. X-(
    I'll keep trying to figure it out.

sanjeevravindra Guest

Which version of Zonealarm are you using? If you're using 6 I suggest you upgrade to version 7, which is much
    more effective against Malware.

Hi!he is using ZAPRO and not ZASS.What is actually your antivirus?You could try to run DrWeb Cure it (IN SAFE MODE)www.freedrweb.com Or scan your system with ewido online scanner:http://www.ewido.net/en/onlinescan/Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Hi!Ok, I see...so your original post was wrong... you are using ZASS 6.5Have you tried to clean your machine with the tools I have suggested?Cheers,Fax

unusual_entity Guest

I bought Zone Alarm Internet Security Suite 6 which has: Antivirus, IM Protection, Parental Control, Spam &amp; Phishing Blocker, Anti-Spyware, ID/ Pricacy Protection, Triple Defense Firewall
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:6.5.737.000
    TrueVector version:6.5.737.000
    Driver version:6.5.737.000
    Anti-virus Vet engine version:30.4.1.000
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:30.4.3424.000
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.83.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200702.1055
    AntiSpam version:4.8.2.7565

unusual_entity Guest

I shall do that now, but I don't see why I need to use Dr Web antivirus as I'm already using Zone Alarm but I will anyway.
    Thanks!

After you clean your system with DrWeb Cure it and Ewido.... you can install ZASS 7 that has a more powerful Antivirus and Antispyware.If you want to do so, please uncheck "Load ZA... at startup" under Overview tab --&gt; Preferences Tab --&gt; Re-boot your machine.Remove any other antivirus and antispyware you could have installed, they can be incompatible with your ZASS 7.Cleaner is the system less trouble you will have with ZASS 7. You can run the free ccleaner (www.ccleaner.com/download) to clean your system and registry (do not install the yahoo toolbar).Now you can install ZASS 7 and if requested, please choose a "clean" install instead of an "upgrade". Use recommended settings at install, do not alter them.And be aware of these known issues. They are not affecting the main functionality of the Suite but they may be perceived as annoying:http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...ssage.id=61385You can find the ZASS 7 installer here:http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/fre...seHistory.htmlHope this helps.Cheers,Fax

Message Edited by fax on 02-25-2007 06:30 AM

unusual_entity Guest

It worked! Thanks!
    For me to use ZASS 7 don't I need to have Zone Alarm 7?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information