Thread: JS/Petch?

jamesicthan Guest

Default JS/Petch?

Hello, I was surfing the web when Zonealarm popped up and said there was 1 active item, JS/Petch, and said there was no treatment for it (error E0060005h), and that it was a virus, and to look on the internet for more help.
    But I looked, and I think JS/Petch is spread through IRC, but I don't use IRC.
    Then another site said it is something related to viewpoint manager, which I looked and it is on my computer, so I'm thinking of just removing that program and then seeing if that'll fix the problem.
    This isn't the first time ZA found JS/Petch either, it showed up awhile ago, but I couldn't find the virus again, so I hoped I had just deleted it or it was just a false negative or something.
    The scan result said it was found in my Temporary Internet Files, so I'm thinking of just purging that folder.
    And when I scan the mentioned folder with ZA and other antiviruses, it won't show up again, so I'm even more unsure of what's going on now.
    Before I do anything too drastic, does anybody have any advice, or know anything about this kind of thing for sure?

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:6.5

Default Re: JS/Petch?

Bad javascripts will be in the browser's cache if using FireFox or Opera. The IE stores them in the temporary Internet Files. Cleaning either will remove the malicious javascripts and then it will not show in the following antivirus scan.

Bad javascripts, although labelled a IRC, usually enter the PC through web browsing or the email.

It is for this reason that it is recommended to filter the web when browsing in the IE browser. The Firefox and the Opera are more durable- they are not connected to the depth of the OS as the IE is connected. Plus they have easy adjustments to filter the various javascripts. Plus neither one uses VBScripts or ActiveX.

How it infects the PC- the browser gets the javascript exploit and temporarily freezes. At that point the exploit has access to the PC. It can be incorrect info and conflicting javascripts or a javascript from the web with the exploit embedded in the javascript itself.

As a general rule, I browse the internet in plain html. In other words no cookies, no java, no javascripts, no ads, no referer, no scripts of any kind. Plus I clean the browser's cache before closing the browser. Then clean the PC with a file cleaner. This makes for safe browsing with very little chances of getting exploited. Only forums, safe sites and favorites and online email has the web contents allowed.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Oh look what I found...

http://forums.spywareinfo.com/index....howtopic=93459

Sounds exactly the same what you have described.

Maybe you should check out that HJT forum and see what they have to say about your PC.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

jamesicthan Guest

Ah, thank you, I'll try those steps once I have enough time on the computer.
    I've got to be more careful with where I go.
    Either that or switch over to Firefox completely (one of these days).
    I found that topic through google, but wasn't sure how reliable it was, so I thought I would check here first.
    (I have next to no idea how reliable
    anything is, unless its the official website of an antivirus I buy in a store, like ZA or Norton, so I'd thought I'd check here before going there).
    Thank you very much for all the answers and informatioin, I'll try to put it to good use.

<blockquote><hr>JamesIcthan wrote:
    Ah, thank you, I'll try those steps once I have enough time on the computer.
    I've got to be more careful with where I go.
    Either that or switch over to Firefox completely (one of these days).
    I found that topic through google, but wasn't sure how reliable it was, so I thought I would check here first.
    (I have next to no idea how reliable
    anything is, unless its the official website of an antivirus I buy in a store, like ZA or Norton, so I'd thought I'd check here before going there).
    Thank you very much for all the answers and informatioin, I'll try to put it to good use.
    <hr></blockquote>

If you wish to have a list of sites that are helpful and have lots of information, just ask and I will supply a good list. There several sites that have no manufacturing or company associations and in many ways there are more helpful and informative.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information