Thread: Black 1/4" rectangle on boot up

masterofpuppets Guest

Default Black 1/4" rectangle on boot up

This is my first time here so please bear with me. Every time I boot up I get a 1/4-inch black rectangle about 2-inches long. My Zone Alarm email checker has been turned off even though ZoneAlarm insists that it is on. I do a quick scan everday and an intense scan 2 days a week and Zone Alarm finds nothing. I update the defs everday also.
    I just bought Essential NetTools from ZoneAlarm and it tells me that someone is accessing my machine but the IP address flashes so quickly that I can't see it. When I scan ports with Essential NetTools, all ports say NA.
    Lots of programs crash and everytime I
    run Outlook, I get a message that it was not closed properly last time so will open in safe mode. I always close it properly.
    Does anyone know what this is.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:7.0

masterofpuppets Guest

Default Re: Black 1/4" rectangle on boot up

Thank you but don't know how I got Task Mgr. When I check NetAudit with Essential NetTools, Shares under Open Port name is 'Kerberos' and the Server Name: ?????? and System: Unknown. I get a warning sound for passwords and 600+ passwords come up. I went into ZoneAlarm Program Control and killed processes that I have uninstalled but guess none of those are the Culprit. I haven't had time to learn the specifics of Essential NetTools but the Help file says there are options through right clicking and I mostly got save.

Does anyone know what Kerberos is?

naivemelody Guest

You've got something really strange going on, in your pc, I don't know what it is or where to start - but maybe trying to uninstall "essential netools" and see, if that's the real problem. Also, for 'essential netools' check out
    their website /support/FAQs - they have a few known issues you should take a look at first.
    As for Kerberos - that I know, it's a benign security process that Microsoft uses. - from - http://www.processlist.com/info/kerberos-14.html<hr>What is kerberos.dll?kerberos.dll (Kerberos Security Package) is a component from the software Microsoft
    Windows
    Operating System version 5.2.2464 by Microsoft Corporation. kerberos.dll version 5.2.2464 has a file size of 717,824 bytes, and is most commonly found under the directory &quot;dllcache&quot; with a creation date of June 30, 2005. This is not a known spyware, adware, or trojan component. Microsoft Windows is the most widely used PC operating system.<hr>NaiveMelody NYC 3-9-07~9:32pm e.s.t. - Gimme shelter - the Rolling Stones

Message Edited by NaiveMelody on 03-09-200706:39 PM

masterofpuppets Guest

Thanks so much but I've had it for a few weeks; way before I install Essential NetTools. I did figure out where Kerberos came from &amp; I do appreciate your info on it. I will keep checking around and I will go to Ess NetTools to see what they say.

Thread Information