Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Spybot found Agobot-Ku worm, not able to find file or find with Zone Alarm

Default Re: Spybot found Agobot-Ku worm, not able to find file or find with Zone Alarm

Some of the easiest routers to use or setup are Netgear.

I had a D- Link and Linksys years ago. The cheap netgear...

http://www.factorydirect.ca/catalog/...p?pcode=NE6145

is the one I use.

Best regards.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Default Re: Spybot found Agobot-Ku worm, not able to find file or find with Zone Alarm

zasuiteuser

Thanks for the memories and your help. Very nice to help a user as a team, instead of just solo. It makes the helping much more thorough and very pleasant.

Thank.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

bridezilla Guest

Yes, I believe that is an accurate way to describe it. Have a Happy Easter.

bridezilla Guest

Boy, are you right on the money with this one. I have it because it came with Verizon's Fios internet, so free. And it does have the most user un-everything interface - until now I have not been able to figure out anything, even after reading their faq, and manual online. I can't even manage to highlight a line below the one that I am on. Which Linksys do you have? Just because Verizon gave this one, does not mean I have to keep it. And at this point in my last semester, I have enough work without trying for hours to figure out the router.

bridezilla Guest

PC is fairly new, bought last June after husband killed the other one with viruses, etc. He does not use this one. Believe it or not, the manual does not help, this router is the most difficult user item I have run into. If I can ever figure out how to increase the firewall settings, I'll keep it until I find another router that I can actually use.

bridezilla Guest

Not to mention the benefit to me! ZA found a trojan on this pc today in 8 files - Trojan.JS.Agent.b. There are times when I am not sure if ZA has dealt with something or not, like when the message says tried but could not treat, or no known removal at this time. But I scanned again and it did not come up. I wish both of you a Happy Easter, and thank you so much for all the help and ideas. You're the best.

Very gratefully,
    Cindy

Hi Cindy

Trojan with js means a java script trojan. They are easily avoided by disabling the java scripts in the browser such as FireFox or Opera or in the active scripts of the IE. Plus the Privacy of the ZA will be able to block scripts globally from sites and the listing can be used to allow the scripts from sites that needed or trustworthy. Using the Privacy would avoid these completely. I use the first method- Opera has site prefernces used and the javascripts/java are not used for general/global browsing.

Cleaning the browser cache alone will remove the malicious scripts. Or using a freeware cleaner such as CCleaner will do it too.

Perhaps the cache was cleaned by the ZASS and perhaps the cache was cleaned by the browser on closing.

Best regards and Happy Easter.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

I take it the old PC was reformatted and the windows was re-installed. That should have permanently cured any virus issue.

The router manual does show a lot of things. Some things are not needed in your case.

Is this a dsl or a cable connection? Perhaps things like the PPoE is not needed. Or the VPN. Or Net BUI.

Generally, the Remote Login is not needed- used only if logging in from the internet and not the LAN itself.

Disabling the reply to pings is often not needed.

Disable the UPnP if there is no networked printers/scanners or game boxes.

Some router allow all and have provisions to block and other have certain allow list with customizing and a special block area.The second type is the more challenging.
    Often these will have http and htpps, snmp, pop2 and pop3 server of some sort, vpn, and other services and protocols listed. These can be customized and enabled/disabled depending on your needs.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

zaswing Guest

Happy Easter to you both!

Verizon FIOS is fiberoptic. PPPoE is essential. As far as router is concerned we think of it as a DSL connection, not cable. Cindy has to tell the router her verizon user name, the vz... something or other, not the "nickname", and needs to enter the password to Verizon first time around while configuring the router. I would first make sure that everything is properly setup for a WIRED connection both in the router and Windows. Then configure the WIRELESS side while still wired, include MAC address filtering, it's a good thing. Then and only then, I'd enable SSID and configure the Windows wireless side. Give or take couple hours of pain when you're doing it for the first time. Shut off SSID once the computer is configured.

Yes, I gather from coworkers, that Netgears are simpler. It's just than I cut my teeth on Linksys (BFSR41, WRT54G v4) so it's more familiar.

Oh, and it's fun doing the teamwork

Message Edited by zasuiteuser on 04-08-200701:16 PM

Wow I am ever glad you are here to straighten things out!

Happy Easter! and zasuiteuser see what the Easter bunny left for you in the special thread we have going on about Opera.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information