Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: capicom.dll/Win32.Application.Adware.WinAntiVirus

rowantree Guest

Default Re: capicom.dll/Win32.Application.Adware.WinAntiVirus

Hi,

I've popped it back (it did seem to restore OK) and updated ZASS and ran a scan and it's OK again.

Very odd. I wonder if they test this stuff any more or just shovel it out the door...!

Cheers,
    David

Cool! Looks like its fixed...Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

stroye Guest

Yes, I have exactly the same problem, after scanning using the AS ***.1375 DAT fileversion yesterday, and I m using ZASS 6.5
    I can also confirm references to the so called spyware in a long list of registryentries, ZASS gave me, before inviting me to Quarantine it, as in other posts here on this thread.
    I have rebooted my machine today and now have AS ***.1385 DAT file version.
    I also, note that the capicom.dll has mysteriously vanished (like others here), thiscould be a result of the reboot, but I have only used Quarantine , and have not deleted it.
    I can also now confirm, like others here, that the quarantined win32.application.adware.winvirus now shows as other , it s name appeared correctly to start with today, but after clicking the more info link supplied there, and going to the their website page, and then returning to the Quarantine tab, it sname has been replaced by other . I also note that the advise now reads not yet available , no longeris there the advise to delete it!
    ?? Also noticed they have removed a lot of detail about this item on theirlinked web page.... Something s up!
    Also noticed for the first time, my txt logs (in the Internet Logs folder) are no longer listing the detailsof this so called infection, no list of all the Registry entries it gave me yesterday can now be found.
    I like others here, would really like to know what s going on.
    How will the capicom.dll file be properly restored? Will all those registry entries with reference to it, berestored by ZA? Has my system s security now been compromised without the capicom.dll file, andwhat appears to be legitimate registry entries?
    If indeed, this is a false positive, I won t be happy until I get at satisfactory answer from them!

stroye Guest

Hi Fax
    I'm not so sure it's as simple as that,. There are still a lot of important questions left un-answered.
    Please see my post here for full details.
    ThanksStroye

My Original Message now appears below (with the questions):
    Yes, I have exactly the same problem, after scanning using the AS ***.1375 DAT fileversion yesterday, and I m using ZASS 6.5
    I can also confirm references to the so called spyware in a long list of registryentries, ZASS gave me, before inviting me to Quarantine it, as in other posts here on this thread.
    I have rebooted my machine today and now have AS ***.1385 DAT file version.
    I also, note that the capicom.dll has mysteriously vanished (like others here), thiscould be a result of the reboot, but I have only used Quarantine , and have not deleted it.
    I can also now confirm, like others here, that the quarantined win32.application.adware.winvirus now shows as other , it s name appeared correctly to start with today, but after clicking the more info link supplied there, and going to the their website page, and then returning to the Quarantine tab, it sname has been replaced by other . I also note that the advise now reads not yet available , no longeris there the advise to delete it!
    ?? Also noticed they have removed a lot of detail about this item on theirlinked web page.... Something s up!
    Also noticed for the first time, my txt logs (in the Internet Logs folder) are no longer listing the detailsof this so called infection, no list of all the Registry entries it gave me yesterday can now be found.
    I like others here, would really like to know what s going on.
    How will the capicom.dll file be properly restored? Will all those registry entries with reference to it, berestored by ZA? Has my system s security now been compromised without the capicom.dll file, andwhat appears to be legitimate registry entries?
    If indeed, this is a false positive, I won t be happy until I get at satisfactory answer from them!

Message Edited by Stroye on 04-13-200706:35 PM

amethyst Guest

Hello Stroye,

I've started a thread about the ramifications of being without the capicom.dll in the Off Topics forum. Haven't had any replies there yet.

I restored my system to a point yesterday when I KNEW that capicom.dll was in my system32 folder. That did not restore the .dll, which surprised me. I've since reversed the restore, since I did some Windows Updates today and those went smoothly, so I didn't want to mess with that.

Would ZA have deleted this .dll without telling me? I had told ZA to "ignore once" when I ran another scan after having restored the .dll. I had not run any further scans after that until this morning, when ZA turned up a clean computer and I realized the .dll had completely vanished.

I've written to ZA tech support, so maybe they'll be of help...and maybe help anyone who is having problems after having followed ZA's advice to delete the .dll. I've also written to Microsoft to find out how badly anyone needs this .dll.

Amethyst

stroye Guest

Thanks Amethyst
    Like me, you still have concerns. It appears, you have already done what you can. Like you, I think my main concerns are now with the securityof my system (or lack of it), there were a lot of registry entries listed that are connected to this, can they all be restored correctly? And without them,and this dll file, is all protected properly? I haven't calculated, that ZA, could possibly compromise my system, (as well as protect it). Although I initially quarantined this "spyware", I haven't attempted to try restoring it, not before I know what the outcome might be anyway.

toomanylogins Guest

Just a bit of add'l info - had the same result in scan during the middle of the night, before ZAP updated to DAT 1.200704.1385. I've only recently switched from ZA free to ZAP, and am not such a tech that I'm good at deciphering log files, so never did see any ref to capicom.dll. The scan results, of course, just had the following:

Win32.Application.Adware.WinAntiVirus
    RegistryKey: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\CLASSES\Component Categories\{56FFCC30-D398-11d0-B2AE-00A0C908FA49}

I left it quarantined, Googled for any results on the name - which were mixed. Did a virus scan, ran Spybot and a few other things - nothing came up, so I cautiously looked at the registry, which gave the following:

(Default) REG_SZ (value not set)
    409 REG_SZ MS Office Antivirus

Ok...I don't *have* MS Office. So I had ZAP delete it. *Then*, of course, I finally had the idea to come check here, duh. However, so far nothing's falling apart. Probably overreacted, but I'm on a brand new machine after something slipped past all protections on my last and pretty much killed it. Gonna to keep an eye on Amethyst's thread on OT, just in case capicorm.dll's something important. Thanks, Fax, for that link!

TooMany
    Product name: ZoneAlarm Pro 7.0.337.0
    AVG 7.05 AntiVirus Pro
    Spybot 1.4

stroye Guest

Hi Tupaia
    Have you since restoring "other"
    got the capicom.dll file
    on your system? Have you done a search of your system
    to make sure it is now back where it should be?Also, do you know if all the registry entries have now been restored?
    (it
    displayed a long list, before originally inviting you to
    quarantine it).
    Stroye

stroye Guest

I've just had another thought!

As a general question:

Has anyone after restoring "other" (or the original name for this "spyware" /"Adware" now actually got the capicom.dll file back on their system? After doing a system search to make sure it is now back where it should be?

Also, is it now possible to tell, if all the registry entries have now been restored correctly? (it displayed a long list, before originally recommending quarantine).

Please let me, and others, know what the result of restoring this quarantined item might be?

Thanks for your help,
    Stroye

Message Edited by Stroye on 04-13-200707:59 PM

tupaia Guest

I can only comment on my experience. After upgrading to **1385, my quarantined file, which formally showed as win32.application.adware.winantivirus, now showed as "other." I didn't know if it would do anything but I restored the "other" file from quarantine (Whether that was necessary or automatic is not clear to me.)

I then checked win32 and the capicom.dll is there. I also checked a sampling of registry entries that I had and Dave_Beer posted after ZA originally identifed this win32 application as adware/spyware. All of the registry entries I was able to check (but not all that there were) were found in the registry. Seems likely that my system was restored to original state before I quarantined this presumed false positive.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information