Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: capicom.dll/Win32.Application.Adware.WinAntiVirus

bill_bright Guest

Default Re: capicom.dll/Win32.Application.Adware.WinAntiVirus

Thanks Fax.
    I think it is important for all to understand that false positives are inevitable - thus the reason many experts are opposed to any type of auto-processing by spyware and other malware scanners - in spite of anti-malware maker's advertising "fluff" that auto-delete is safe.
    The problem here, IMO, is that ZoneAlarm's anti-spyware did not alert on a new or modified file, but rather an old
    file that has been a part of the Microsoft XP operating systems for several years. Yes, they corrected the problem very quickly the first time around. But now, once again, barely a week later, it hits on the same file! That is not right - and is indicative of non-existent or inadequate quality assurance.
    Add to this Check Point's blockage of ZoneAlarm Free downloads, instead forcing users to download and install
    the full 38.8Mb Security Suite, including the installation of Mail Frontier spam blocker without the Free user's knowledge or consent, ZoneAlarm, although still a good firewall, is losing credibility with its massive user base - just as McAfee, AOL, and Norton/Symantec have done before with their bloatware.
    I think this is a sad day for the consumer, and I feel that CP has abused the entire shareware concept.

tbear Guest

<blockquote><hr>fax wrote:
    Hi!
    this has been fixed.... just few hours later...

Fax
    <hr></blockquote>

I just manually downloaded the latest update and ran it. Came up clean, no false alarms.

/me whipes his brow ;-)

tbear Guest

<blockquote><hr>bill_bright wrote:

. . .Add to this Check Point's blockage of ZoneAlarm Free downloads, instead forcing users to download and install
    the full 38.8Mb Security Suite, including the installation of Mail Frontier spam blocker without the Free user's knowledge or consent, ZoneAlarm, although still a good firewall, is losing credibility with its massive user base - just as McAfee, AOL, and Norton/Symantec have done before with their bloatware.
    I think this is a sad day for the consumer, and I feel that CP has abused the entire shareware concept.
    <hr></blockquote>

A clarification question: I suspect I'm misreading your comment (above). Did you mean to suggest that simple updates to ZA Pro are no longer available and that one has, instead, to update to the full suite? The Home/Home Office products page (store) seems to suggest that both the Free and Pro editions continue to be supported. Can you clarify?

While I haven't checked carefully (too many too and fros to the hospital recently), I thought that 7.0 was available as a straightforward ZA Pro Update.

bill_bright Guest

If you are a register owner of ZAPro, then you will continue to get only ZAP updates (I don't what happens when your subscription expires). The issue is with ZoneAlarm Free -
    if you use ZA Free, the next update will be the full suite. During the update, you will be given the option to use just the basic Firewall. The problem is that even if you
    select the Free basic option, even
    though only the Free Firewall is activated, you still are forced to download the entire suite - 38.8Mb of stuff, much of which
    you did not ask for. I feel sorry for the dial-up users. Furthermore, Mail Frontier, a 13.8Mb 3rd party spam blocker will also be installed on your harddrive with the Free version, even though it most likely will not show up in your start menu X-(, but can easily be found in a new Mail Frontier folder, in the ZA folder.

Hi!false positives happens... not to justify ZAlabs butI have seen much worst case by all main spyware scanners, SpyboS&amp;D, Adaware, SS, SD, CP, etc...Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread Information