Thread: Help with Hijackers?

dusty_v Guest

Default Help with Hijackers?

Hi Folks,My kid just called me to help &quot;fix&quot; her computer. When I got there I found that she had NO virus or firewall protection whatsoever! I thought I raised her better than that. After a lecture about the internet I bought and installed ZA security suite and ran a spyware scan and then a virus scan. Needless to say I found and repaired an enormous number of infections. There are still 2 that I need to remove. Spylocked and aprotectservice.com. I found several sites with downloadable removal tools but I'm not sure that I trust any of them. Can somebody recomend a &quot;trusted&quot; site(s) when I can get tools to remove these hijackers and not worry about installing some new infections?Thanks,Dusty **E-Mail address removed**<a target="_blank"

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:7.0

Message Edited by Greb49er on 04-22-2007 04:20 PM

zaswing Guest

Default Re: Help with Hijackers?

Please hurry over to CastleCops or BleepingComputer.
    Both have initial cleanup instructions which you will do before posting HijackThis logs. Good luck

zaswing Guest

Specific spylocked description and removal instructions
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/foru...p;hl=spylocked
    looks like a smithfraud variant.

The information in this is link is completely up to date to today and instructions look very clear. This is a nasty thngie to have on the computer.

Message Edited by zasuiteuser on 04-22-200709:08 PM

naivemelody Guest

From a previous post - http://forums.zonealarm.com/zonelabs...essage.id=1702
    .<hr>Take a look in this discussion group - http://discuss.pcmag.com/forums/thread/1004374322.aspx
    .<hr>Now click on to this link - If your PC is infested w/Spyware... - click here &gt; &gt; http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_...are.htm#online
    . Follow the recommendations here. This is a &quot;trustworthy&quot; site , the other websites you found (with google)
    that promised to remove it,
    are Rogue/Suspect Anit-spyware products and Sites. If you read the rest of the large article in Spywarewarrior - you'll see what I mean, and understand. ZA is very good protection, but not 100% , depending on your ZA settings, surfing habits, and other security software(s) and pc set-up, this will determine your security. Two of the best stand-alone 'paid' anti-spyware are - Webroot SpySweeper and PCTools SpywareDoctor - very good, but at times -can have issues. Anyhow, go to the Spywarewarrior site and follow the recommendations there.<hr>Remember, in ZA suite there is a &quot;Parental Control&quot; section where you can
    enable 'password' lock
    on settings for filters to &quot;block&quot; or 'allow' for various content.
    As adult you may
    be interested in nice little article by ZA - called 'How to protect your family's PC'
    - a 19 page PDF with basic security guidelines that you and your children may find helpful. - http://www.zonealarm.com/store/conte...enet/index.jsp
    .NaiveMelody NYC 4-23-07~11:43am e.s.t. - Everybody's Talkin' - Harry Nilsson

zaswing Guest

NaiveMelody,
    Are you saying BleepingComputer and CastleCops are suspect? No way. What makes you say so, or are we not talking about the same thing?

naivemelody Guest

Yes, zasuiteuser, I know about BleepingComputer and Castelcops as being trustworthy and legit, it's in spywarewarrior's recommended spyware removal sites; if your talking about those other google ads, the &quot;other ones&quot; from one those 200+ &quot;rogue/suspect anti-spyware products and the sites that sell them&quot; as something to avoid - in that we are in agreement, yes. .NaiveMelody NYC 4-23-07~7:15pm e.s.t. - Fire in the sky - Black Sabbath

Message Edited by NaiveMelody on 04-24-200704:31 PM

zaswing Guest

Cool, thanks. Just wanted to make sure about we're on the same page. I mean this guy has to deal with a teenager or semething worse , has to get solid advice

Did you notice on Bleeping Computer that Grinler updates the name of that spylock thing just about daily. Pretty impressive in my opinion.

Message Edited by zasuiteuser on 04-23-200707:40 PM

dusty_v Guest

&gt;Remember, in ZA suite there is a &quot;Parental Control&quot; section where you can
    enable 'password' lock
    on settings for &gt;filters to &quot;block&quot; or 'allow' for various content.
    As adult you may
    be interested in nice little article by ZA - called 'How &gt;to protect your family's PC'
    - a 19 page PDF with basic security guidelines that you and your children may find &gt;helpful.
    The advice I've recieved here is just what I was lookin for but I just wanted to clear up one small detail. My kid that I'm talking about (and who's computer I'm working on) is 36 years old. Now I've been workin with
    and on computers that date back to the MITS
    Altair 680 days (that's mid 70's for you kids). And the thought of still needing &quot;parental controlls&quot; just tickles me silly.
    She's been raised with computers and not having any protection on a cable internet computer means that I've failed as a parent &lt;grin&gt;
    Thanks All!Dusty

naivemelody Guest

{ The following is in reference to the &quot;Parental control silly/mistake&quot; ; nothing directed towards you or your daughter, SIR , with RESPECT ALWAYS }<hr>Man, that's really funny, I must admit, I was thinking 6 thru 14 years old For a 36 year old with pc training and no firewall or av. - pops' I hope you give her a little money to spend on such 'trivialities' what a HOOT, made my day, take care - daddy-o.NaiveMelody NYC 4-23-07~8:15pm e.s.t. - Teach your children - Crosby, Stills, Nash &amp; Young

Message Edited by NaiveMelody on 04-27-200701:44 AM

zaswing Guest

Made my day as well

Thread Information