Thread: Is Trojan-Downloader.Win32.Agent.bng A false Positive?

dougal Guest

Default Is Trojan-Downloader.Win32.Agent.bng A false Positive?

Hi
    I've just had Trojan-Downloader.Win32.Agent.bng detected in three places on my PC. However it's located in the following:
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Java\Update\Base Images\j2re1.4.2-b28\core1.zipC:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_03\hpi.dllC:\System Volume Information\_restore\........
    which makes me think it's a false positive, plus the fact I can't find any reference to it anywhere on the net.Can anybody confirm whether it's safe to restore these items or not?
    Also, is there a place to report these sorts of queries to ZoneAlarm? I've found http://www.zonealarm.com/store/conte...=errorResponse
    in a previous thread but there seems to be
    nowhere to report suspected false positives.Many thanks.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:7.0

Default Re: Is Trojan-Downloader.Win32.Agent.bng A false Positive?

Hi!yes, most likely false positives from KAV. I seea couple of postinthe KAV forum.See here: http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php...p;showforum=19You can report false positives directly to Kaspersky, e-mail: newvirus at kaspersky dot com. Subject false positive. Attach the file, password protected (include password in the e-mail).Would be good you upload the file to www.virustotal.com, just to cross check they are still detected (they may havefixed them meanwhile).If they have been fixed try to manual update your signature, if not, send them the false positive.Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

oharejoe Guest

Hello, I have the exact same three viruses quarantined in my ZoneAlarm quarantine section! I don't know what to do with them other than keep them in quarantine. That is why I am trying to ask "Dougal" what he did with the same problem? Also this is the first time I posted and I am a little unsure of what I doing is right or not?

oddjob Guest

Dougal ... what your first post shows is that you have this infection in your windows restore points and in your java. The version of java you are using is way, way out of date.

First fix the java.

Older versions of java have vulnerabilities that malware can use to infect your system. Please follow these steps to remove older version Java components and update.

Download the latest version of java here ...

http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp]Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6

Scroll down to where it says "The J2SE Runtime Environment (JRE) allows end-users to run Java applications"

Click the Download button to the right.

Check the box that says Accept License Agreement.

The page will refresh.

Click on the link to download Windows Offline Installation with or without Multi-language and save to your desktop.

Close any programs you may have running - especially your web browser.

Go to Start > Control Panel and double-click on Add/Remove Programs. Remove all older versions of Java.

Check any item with Java Runtime Environment (JRE or J2SE) in the name.

Click the Remove or Change/Remove button.

Repeat as many times as necessary to remove each Java versions.

Reboot your computer once all Java components are removed.

To install the newest version double-click this file on your desktop >> jre-6u1-windows-i586-p.exe.

Next purge/purge all previous system restore points. If you're unsure how to do that there is more info here ...

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro.../faqsrwxp.mspx

Create a new system restore point so you have something to fall back on of needs be.

Hope that helps.

OJ

Thread Information