Thread: windows defender

davidbowie Guest

Default windows defender

Recently my security software comes up with the message, 'windows command line utility is trying to access the internet or update or something similar. I have not seen this message before. Could this be a virus or trojan or some other nasty?

davidbowie Guest

Default Re: windows defender

sorry correction to message 'windows defender command line utility' not just windows command line utility.

Hi!Uuuhm, it would be nice to know if you are using any ZA product, which exact version (e.g. 7.0.337.000, see under ZA overview --> product info) and if you already did some basic virus checking... And if I understand correctly (from the subject of your e-mail)you are using windows defender. Well, if you use the most recent version of ZASS, you do not need windows defender. There are better alternatives. Windows defender detection is poor (unfortunately... it was a great product before MS bought it!), nowjust a waste of resources and HD space.FaxP.S. You could start to do the following:Perform a full Antivirus/Antispyware scan but in SAFE MODE.1. Manual update your antivirus ('update now' under the antivirus/antispyware tab)2. Disable system restore;3. Reboot in SAFE MODE4. Run a full ZA AV/AS scan5. Reboot in Normal Mode6. Ensable System restore(How to start in SAFE MODE: http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d..._failsafe.mspx)(How to disable System Restore: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310405)If the above fails you may want to try Ewido online scan at: http://www.ewido.net/en/onlinescan/and also download, update and scan with superantispyware FREE:http://www.superantispyware.com/download.htmlFax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

davidbowie Guest

actually its pc guard from virgin.net

i also have defender and norton anti spyware as well as pc tools registry mechanic. should i still follow you instructions? what is windows defender command line utility?
    In fact let me give you the full picture. I used to have zone alarm but when i registered with ntl broadband (now virgin) they gave me a free web security package. Now called pcguard. As i am on a laptop i take mycomputer to a friends house (where i am now) and connect to the internet on his bt broadband service through a bt voyager 220v voice router. That is where i got my free norton anti spyware from. At home i connect using my set top box to virgin broadband.I surfed in here to see if anyone might know anything as cant find any decent forums anywhere else. Some questions i have are:Will the virgin pcguard work and update just as well on the bt connection here as it does on its intended connection at home?Is it normal for windows defender command line utility to connect to the internet and what is this?My network connections window shows that there is a Lan or high speed internet connection
    (which is normal) but also listed separatley and connected to the internet at the same time is listed a 'internet gateway' which i have not seen listed before. I cannot shut it down and it has no details listed just says connected at the same time as my other connection. Is this something to do with the bt router? is this normal? the advice line said it was but the advisor spoke very heavy indian which i could not understand and didnt seem at all interested and i dont know if she even understood anything i had told her. anyway any help or suggestions here anyone can give would be much appreciated. I am thinking of going back to zone alarm but could the questions above be answered for now. Apologies for my ignorance in advance...

Message Edited by davidbowie on 04-24-200704:20 AM

Hi!don't know what is that, I am not using windows defender...Nope, my instruction were valid if you had ZoneAlarm Antivirus or the Security suite installed.I am sorry, but I don't know Pc Guard and what it does... This is a ZA forum support.May be other users can help?Cheers,Fax

They do not really say it is a ZA firewall. They do mention that if a Zone Alarm firewall is already installed, then to only install the AV. On the other hand, they do not really say if their firewall is not a ZA firewall.

http://www.virgin.net/customers/pcguard/faqs.html

However I agree with Guru Fax, the Defnder is a waste of time. The Norton AntiSpy is still better than the MS Defender.

Oldsod

Message Edited by Oldsod on 04-24-2007 08:18 AM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Nope, as far as I know... PC Guard is not a rebranded ZL product...See here: http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=164764Fax

naivemelody Guest

As per your original question - no it's not malware. When I had Defender, Microsoft is very big on getting a bunch of programs talking back and forth with home planet/Microsoft while you use Defender. Give it trust level and green checks to talk back/forth - it's verifying Defender, updating, whatever. Benign. NaiveMelody NYC 4-24-07~3:42pm e.s.t. - My life - Billy Joel

Correct you are Guru fax.

The firewall is from authentium and not Zone Labs. The two firewalls have nothing in common.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

wstern Guest

Hi,

You not want to give Microsoft programs trusted access, as Microsoft would then be able to install its WGA notifications software without ZA being able to stop it. This WGA notifications software can give false positives to Genuine Windows users, and most users may not want it communicating repeatedly every 5 minutes with Microsoft just to check that your genunine Windows is still genuine, as this ties up your PC's CPU and internet resources with no real benefit to you.

Bill

Thread Information