Thread: Can you recommend some free online malware scanners.

wstern Guest

Default Can you recommend some free online malware scanners.

Hi,

In my office, they use a major name brand Anti-virus / Anti-spware solution, but on the latest comparitives tests
    from both: http://www.av-comparatives.org/ and http://www.checkvir.com/
    this anti-virus/anti-spyware solution is near the bottom of the list with its best rating being average.

I bring my work home alot (using an external USB drive to copy alot of files).
    I also connect remotely using Windows XP Professional's Remote desktop terminal services,
    and I remotely mount my home PC's C: and E: drives to my PC at work.
    On my home PC's I previously used the same anti-virus / anti-spyware software as I have at work,
    as my company has a license with that anti-virus company to give it for free to its employees
    in the hopes of protecting the company's network from home PC's connecting remotely.
    But with that product installed ______ Viruscan Enterprise 8.0 with _______ Anti-spyware module on my home PC,
    I had gotten a rootkit which caused me to have to rebuild the PC (I was getting stop error messages with Huy32.sys
    as the last program executed). I did a google search and found it was a Russian rootkit which steals financial website userids and passwords. This was 6 months ago. After that, I rebuilt the PC, I chose ZAISS7 with Kaspersky.

I don't want to infect my home PC's with files from my office. Since I still need to connect remotely to my office, and also copy files by USB, I would feel safer if I could scan my office PC with some highly effective free scanners for all types of malware (which scan for virus, spyware, adware, rootkit, trojans, etc). I'm mainly interested in the most effective scanners. For some reason the Kaspersky on-line scanner won't run on my office PC. Which ones do you recommend.

Bill
    Dell XPS/Dimension 410, Intel E6700, 4GB 667 MHZ Ram, 1 Terabyte disk space, Windows XP Professional SP2

Operating System: Windows XP Pro
    Product Name: ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version: 7.0

Message Edited by wstern on 05-01-200712:08 AM

Operating System: Windows XP Pro
    Product Name: ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version: 7.0

Message Edited by wstern on 05-01-200712:09 AM

Operating System:
    Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:

Message Edited by wstern on 05-01-200712:11 AM

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:7.0

naivemelody Guest

Default Re: Can you recommend some free online malware scanners.

For 'free' and 'trustworthy' online scanners, check this site - http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_...are.htm#online
    . Sad thing is of course with most of the free anti-spyware products, they aren't as effective as two of the best 'paid' -Webroot Spysweeper and PCTools SpywareDoctor - and these two also have issues with their shields/guards and for slowing up pc's a bit. Spysweeper has a 'anti-rootkit detector' by Sophos. Since you have Kaspersky av, you may not need/ or will have a bit of conflict with these products.
    <hr>for on-line anti-virus - you have a large selection to choose from - so, your covered there; sometimes having a second or third opinion is good, yes. You having Kaspersky av on your suite is an excellent move. <hr>For extra protection of rootkits - PCMag has recently done a test review -
    http://www.pcmag.com/print_article2/...=206433,00.asp . - (by Neil
    J. Rubenking)
    of a few of them, just check PCMag.com, and you can also check PCWorld, Cnet foraddtional info. Rootkits are a tough deal; in detection and also in eliminating. Check F-Secure for their Blacklight rootkit detector. I'm sure others will have recommendations and advice.NaiveMelody NYC 5-1-07~1:19am e.s.t. - Superstition - Stevie Wonder

Message Edited by NaiveMelody on 05-02-200709:17 PM

Hi!From the list ofonline av-scanner at spywarewarrior site provided by Naive Melody I would personally go for:Panda Active ScanEwido Online Scan andBitdefender ScanOnlineSee also here for a complete on-line scanlist: http://wiki.castlecops.com/index.php...mp;oldid=18419Fax

Message Edited by fax on 05-01-2007 01:57 AM

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Another approach is a McAfee or Avast on a USB 3 stick. Just plug in (after turning off the resident AV, update the av on the stick) and scan the whole PC. This way the resident is always backed up with a non-online scanner, which can be used anywhere and any time. I think the freeware AntiVir can be used on a stick.

F-Prot has a scanner to be used from a cd disk- download it and it's updates, burn a disk and scan/clean the PC from the cd drive while the PC itself is not running ( effective since there are no OS/software restrictions and anything found is very effectively cleaned).

My favorite trick to clean a badly infected drive- pull the drive out and hook it up to the desktop and scan it with KAV6, then hook it up to the laptop (which dual boots) and scan it with NOD32 and the AntiVir. After those three have done the business, there is no nasties left.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

wstern Guest

Hi,

I have McAfee Anti-virus Enterprise 8.0 with Anti-spyware module with a perpetual license from my employer.
    But, if I install it to a USB drive, even thought the destination directory of the install would be the e: drive,
    the install would update the registry on the c: drive, and may not work on another PC without those registry entries.

I didn't notice an option during the installation of McAfee Anti-virus of installing without updating the registry.
    If you know of a way, please let me know, as it would be nice to do scans with McAfee from a keychain drive as a
    manual secondary protection to ZAISS7.

Thanks,

Bill

wstern Guest

Hi Fax,

Thank you,

I will try those 3 free online scanners.

Bill

wstern Guest

Hi NaiveMelody,

Thank you for the recommendation of: http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_...are.htm#online

I have a question regarding these 2 &quot;non free&quot; excellent programs that you mentioned: Webroot Spysweeper and PCTools SpywareDoctor:
    These seem to be the top 2 rated anti-spyware products according to pcmag and pc-world.

How does ZAISS7 spyware protection compare against Spysweeper and Spyware Doctor?

Is ZAISS7 less effective than these 2 specialized products?

Thanks,

Bill

In order to use the McAfee, there is a U3 type of USB...

http://www.u3.com/smartdrives/

However I have in the past placed an AntiVir version 6 installer on an ordinary USB and then install it there. This should work with the version 7 as well, but I have not tried this version. Yes there were some reg keys created, but no AntiVir was installed on the PC as a resident. Then proceed to the second PC and install the AntiVir on a second USb and use that one for just that PC. The updates should not be a problem. Even if the database is installed to the default Doc and Setting folder, the AV from the stick will still see them and still work.

You could try the McAfee AV that is there and try it on a plain USB and see what happens. The worst that can happen is BSOD and just go into safe mode and pull the USB or reformat it. Clean some keys/files and all should be back to normal. The KAV engine of ZASS is very particular about other antivirus scanners and even their traces left from uninstalls. So be careful. But I have successfully installed the AOL AVS (KAV6 clone) and the AntiVir 7 on the same windows OS. Also some users have the AV of the ZASS disabled and have successfully installed other AV such as NOD32 or McAfee.

The McAfee Enterprise AV is well respected. It should be okay for your uses.

Also see for the Avast:

http://www.sandisk.com/Corporate/Pre...e.aspx?ID=3660

Also for the F-Prot for a CD or USB:

http://www.f-prot.com/download/home_...oad_fpdos.html

and instructions:

http://www.f-prot.com/products/home_use/dos/

BTW turn off the resident AV when using the USB scanners, just the same as doing the on-line scanners.

Oldsod

Message Edited by Oldsod on 05-01-2007 04:06 PM

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Anti-Spyware
    Software Version:6.1
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Keep in mind that these two are just antispy scanner and just that. And they can be resource hogging and bloaty and often bog the PC while doing their job.

The guard features of these two are actually performed by the ZA firewall. The privacy is doing ad blocking and cookie control, plus when the scripts, activeX and such are blocked, the web protection is superior to either.

Plus the OSFirewall tab of the ZA has the IE home page& serach engine protection, startup protections, host file protection and activeX install protection. Just the same features of the two antispy scanners. They do excel in spyware detection, But between the KAV engine (the trojan killer of all times, it risk & malware protection, excellent worms and of course great virus protection) and the ZA AntiSpy scanner you have a good on-demand protection.

The malware detection is there with the ZA Triple Defense Firewall- it watches the registry, files and memory in the same way a dedicated HIPS does. So there is some proactive defense as well and not just the detect and remove of the scanners.

I would recommend two freeware applications:

A-Squared free and Superantispyware.
    Both are on-demand, manual scan with no running processes when turned off.

Want two more?

Rogue remover (freeware not the paid) Lavasoft's Ad-Aware

Want one more - ewido, but I would be using the ewido online scanner, since it leaves no trace of the online scanner other than some temp files and these are easily removed with the disk cleanup or the freeware CCleaner.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information