Thread: Zone alarm keeps finding Trojan-Downloader.BAT.Ftp.ab virus

jfisher Guest

Default Zone alarm keeps finding Trojan-Downloader.BAT.Ftp.ab virus

I am running On Windows XP Pro SP2.
    Zone Alarm intermitently
    finds the following virus: Trojan-Downloader.BAT.Ftp.ab in the following directory C:\Windows\system32\eq.
    Zone Alarm is unable to treat the virus and unable to quarantine it. Zone Alarm therefore
    declares that it will delete the virus on reboot and requests that I reboot. The log viewer confirms the File repair and Quarantine failures, as well as the "Deleting on Reboot" action.
    I searched through forums and found a user that had encountered a similar error on the Kaspersky site. Kaspersky suggested that the user disable Windows Sytsem Restore and carry out a virus scan in windows "Safe" mode. I carried out this suggestion, but Zone Alarm did not find anything.
    The story gets more confusing:
    Zone Alarm does not find the virus if I leave Windows System Restore disabled. If System Restore is ENABLED I have to be connected to the internet for Zone Alarm to find the virus. Even more confusing is that Zone Alarm finds this virus on two standalone machines which are not networked together. The conditions have to be the same on both machines for the virus to be found. I haven't noticed any peculiar behaviour on either of the machines and no degradation in performance.
    Any ideas? This is driving me nuts!

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: Zone alarm keeps finding Trojan-Downloader.BAT.Ftp.ab virus

Hi!I think it would be good to get your system checkedby malware professionals, here:http://www.castlecops.com/f67-Hijack...ans_Oh_My.htmlBut, in order to post, you need toperform these mandatory steps:http://www.castlecops.com/t102301-Hi...e_Posting.htmlFax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

oddjob Guest

Counterspy should fix that infection. It has a 15-day free trial period .....

http://www.sunbelt-software.com/

If that fails to do the job you can indeed post the HJT log to CC or you can post it here.

OJ

Hi!Some users experienced conflictswith that CS and ZASS, so better not to make the situation worst...So may be, he can try ewido online scan (free). http://www.ewido.net/en/onlinescan/or and, install and run the free superantispyware (there are no known conflicts with ZASS)here: http://www.superantispyware.com/down...NTISPYWAREFREEFax

oddjob Guest

Thanks fax. I wasn't aware of that potential conflict.

JFisher ... the offer still stands. If any of the above programs don't fix it post the HJT log here.

OJ

jfisher Guest

Fax and OJ thanks for your suggestions.
    I have a good list of scans to perform and will report back.
    BTW. Sorry for the delay in replying back, I was expecting an email. Looks like I placed my message under the wrong grouping as well!

jfisher Guest

Well, have run just about every free virus/malware checker, registry cleaner
    and system optimizer
    there is. None of them found any viruses or dangerous malware. And Zone Alarm (7.0.337.000) hasn't found the Trojan-Downloader.BAT.Ftp.ab virus for a couple of days now. Don't know why. My computers never experienced any peculiar behaviour over the period the virus was being detected (about 10 days). The virus seems to have dopped out of sight, for now at least.
    It's a mystry how I got the virus, if it existed, as I'm always careful about what sites I visit and what I download. Anyway, thanks for URL links,
    they were very useful.
    Jamie

You're welcome!Thank youfor coming back and post an updateon your situation...Cheers,Fax

Thread Information