Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "On access" anti-spyware protection.

wstern Guest

Default Re: "On access" anti-spyware protection.

Hi Fax,

Thank you for your response. Based on your experiences with the slowness of both
    Webroot Spysweeper and also Spyware Doctor, I have decided to avoid both of them.

I used your recomendation to check the AV-comparitives Potentially Unwanted Programs.
    Unfortunately the results are not detailed enough. Kaspersky, Norton, McAfee, and most
    other major brands scored the highest ranking of "HIGH", possible because they lumped together
    all scores from 64% to 100% as high. Do you know of any more detailed tests, which would show
    with more detail the how the various Anti-virus' with spyware protection did against hundreds of
    common virusus?

Also, I used the following 4 online scanners (as per the recommendations of one of your previous posts):

Panda Active Scan
    Ewido Online Scan
    Kaspersky Online Scan
    Norton Online Scan

Did you say that one of these Online web based scans leaves behind a running process which permanently
    runs on your system using resources even though the online scan is finished?

Thanks,

Bill

Hi!I had no actual infection by spyware or adware since runningKaspersky...The best test you can do is to actually using your system... you will see yourself.Before I had at least 5 or 6 antimalware installed from Trojan Hunter, to SS, SD, and so on... and still managed to get infected! Plus, everytime there was an update I was spending a week to troubleshoot incompatibilities and problems!!! Experience with SS and SD, were overall good, but since moving from NOD to KAV they basically didn't detected anything anymore.I like to see my system clean and resources allocated to productive software... so SS and SD are gone...Malware and antimalware software are always evolving, so something good today may be not in one year. But so far... I had 0 problems.I wonder how you managed to install the online kaspersky scanner with ZASS installed... they may conflict,not I am not sure you can safely remove it without damaging ZASS.Sorry no experience with it. Probably its time to clean out all of this tools, most probably you find the uninstall routine in the windows add/remove programs.If you are really afraid of spyware, use superantispyware, from time to time just to check everything is fine. Or try the new prevx2 beta....And be careful on installing the so called "free" applications, they may come withadware. No panic, usually you can remove easily using their own uninstaller.And if you are driving dangerously on the web, take advantage of the mobile code blocking in the ZA privacy tab, this will kill most of infections vectors via the web (javascript, activeX, scripts...)Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

The online scanners do not leave a running process after the scans are completely finished. With the exception of the Ewido, they will install an engine and definitions folder, usually on the drive or in windows or in the Doc's and Settings. Ewido will leave files in the Temp folder, but when the Temp folder is cleaned, all traces are removed.

Never scan on-line with the resident AV scanner enabled. Alwats disable the AV's real time protection.

Antivirus testers:

besides the av-comparitives already mentioned:

http://www.virusbtn.com/Session-022c...bout/index.xml

http://agn-www.informatik.uni-hamburg.de/vtc/

http://www.virus.gr/english/fullxml/default.asp

http://www.av-test.org/

http://www.westcoastlabs.org/

http://www.icsalabs.com/icsa/icsahome.php

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

A couple of years ago, the antispyware was all the rage. Before that the antitrojan was all the rage. Even antimlaware vendors had a good market. Recently the antirootkit vendors and creators had made some headway in the community.

The main reason for these "fads" was because the antivirus vendor concentrated mainly on worms and viruses. They had ignored to varing degrees the rootkits, riskware, trojans, dialers, specialized worms, keyloggers, adware and various other types. They have stopped doing the ignoring and have paid attention to the marketplace and possible consumer sales and the competition. They now detect and remove the others and with good success.

HIPS and IDS are gaining ground. That may change in the future. In the near future, probably firewalls and the antivirus, the old and continued favorites, will probably change. Be on the watch for the Next Generation Firewall.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

wstern Guest

Hi Fax,

My home PCs are exposed to risky websites - as my children play alot of internet games (PAC Man / etc).

I had previously had a rootkit about 6 months ago. After that I switched to ZAISS7.
    No major problems since ZAISS7, but I was just trying to increase my security.

I was able to run the Kaspersky Online Scan with ZAISS7 installed. It ran. I noticed a new Kaspersky
    entry in my Windows XP Control Panel Add / Remove programs. I will try to uninstall Kaspersky Online Scan.
    I hope it doesn't interfere with my ZAISS7.

I would like to increase my mobil code options in ZAISS7 (javascript, activeX, scripts.) to a high enough level
    so that I increase protection but still have a usable browser. If you could provide any suggestions
    on the highest possible mobil settings which could still leave a usable browser, I would appreciate it.

Also, if you could provide me with more information of superantispyware (in terms of whether to run it with
    "on access" turned on to supplement ZAISS7) or instead to only run it as an on demand scanner or perhaps only through and Online scanner, I would appreciate it.

Also, I will look into finding more information on the prevx2 beta.

Thanks,

Bill

Hi!Ok, things get more complicated if you have childrens accessing the PC.Since they could disable or simple allow whatever they would like to run.Mobile Code is not easy to tweak... you can try to surf with mobile code ON (by default, only Javascript will be allowed) and see if it is viable.With your situation I would use Prevx2, you can dowload it here, its still a beta but very stable. Running it now(its free forever up to first infection):http://info.prevx.com/download.asp?grab=pinnacleIt is silent (in ABC mode), you can protect it with a password and it will KILL with no interaction any malware that could be allowed through <xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" ><o></o>ZA.Hope this helps,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

You can test your antispyware or security setup for spyware. See if your setup is secure or if your antispyware are doing the job. But keep in mind these tests are not a complete set of tests.

My PCs actually pass these tests without a dedicated antispyware scanner or antispyware guards.

Go here>

http://www.spycar.org/Welcome%20to%20Spycar.html

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

watcher Guest

Dear wstern:

In answer to your questions from your post to me, Webroot Spy Sweeper 4.5 is outdated. The most current version is 5.3.2.2361. It has an upgraded engine. Spy Sweeper works well with ZAPRO, which I use, but I cannot say with ZAISS as I don't use that version. Both versions have an integrated spyware scanner. I have ZAPRO's disabled but use it as an on-demand scanner regularly and keep it updated. I disagree with FAX's statement on Spy Sweeper being heavy on system resources. That's not true any more. They had some problems with the first version 5 builds but the latest version is quite stabile. It has no compatibility problems with ZAPRO, as I have used the 2 together. However, I agree with FAX that having more than 1 antispyware utility running their real-time scanners(on access) will definitely use more RAM and could cause other problems. As I stated previously, only have 1 operating in real time. Use the other(s) to scan on demand, on a regular basis. What 1 misses, another may find.

FAX mentioned Prevx2 beta. I tested Prevx1, v.2.3.1, Build 14 on a lab PC at school. I wasn't running ZAPRO or ZAISS with it. It worked well. It's a different kind of antispyware utility, using a behavioral-based scanner rather than the definition-based scanners of most other antispyware utilities. The definition-based scanners can only find known spyware for which a definition has been written. Behavioral-based scanners look at the behavior of the program to determine whether it is malware or not. As a result, it is more prone to false positives than definition-based scanners but I read a story where Prevx detected some malware that all other antispyware utilities missed. I think it would be a good choice for an on-demand scanner. Since you have ZAISS already, use that for your real-time scanner(on access).

In case you want to test the latest Spy Sweeper version, which is fully functional for a 15-day trial period, the link to it can be found at the bottom of this webpage:

http://www.webroot.com/consumer/prod...r/latestv.html

Hope this helps.

WATCHER

watcher Guest

Dear Oldsod:

To clarify, the Spy Sweeper version I was referring to was just an antispyware utility, not the version with antivirus. Again, I state that it works fine with ZAPRO and I've had no conflicts between those 2 programs. System resource use is pretty good compared to some other antispyware utilities I've used or tested. Those &quot;firewalling&quot; features you mentioned about Spy Sweeper are also present in some other antispyware utilities.

Spyware Doctor, in my opinion, is also an excellent antispyware program. However, as you stated, and so have I somewhere else in a forum post, the OnGuard real-time scanner uses lots of RAM(version 4). They just released a new version 5 recently. I like the unique way it sweeps for spyware on its on-demand scans.

Webroot does not have a firewall at present, at least I did not see one on their Products page. I was surprised to see that PC Tools had one. Another one for me to test some day.

No doubt, the evidence is there to support your argument regarding these security software vendors(including ZA) making suites around their once core product(antivirus/antispyware/firewall). There's more profit margin selling a suite than a stand-alone antispyware, antivirus, or firewall program. I don't care as I won't buy a suite. When I tried to install McAfee VirusScan 11 a while back and it told me I would have to uninstall ZAPRO and another antispyware utility even though I didn't want their firewall or antispyware installed, I requested my money back. Now, McAfee's once core antivirus product is being beat out by other antivirus programs in the detection and removal of viruses. You couldn't pay me to use it now. There's a lesson there for other wannabe security suite vendors.

WATCHER

watcher Guest

Dear Oldsod:

My turn to compliment you on relating your experience and insight into computer security. Thanks for taking the time to post it.

WATCHER

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information