Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "On access" anti-spyware protection.

Default Re: "On access" anti-spyware protection.

Hi WATCHER.

Yes All you have siad is valid and fully understood.

In many aspects, the advanced antispyscanners have improved in using resources. But often the vendor does not or can change the code too much at once- the new releases are evident of that when they BSOD or bog down the PC or have too many probeuems for too many customers.

Instead they change certain aspects of the scanner so that it does less than before. Less components and files are checked or the files are not checked as deeo as before. Or compressed items within a dll are skipped or the decompression is not scanned fully as before or the file gets repacked too quicky and the scanning has not finished yet. Sometimes less is less and not less is more. This often is the case with AV and I suspect the AS can be doing it the same way. Or certain less vulnerable areas are skipped from the AS scan, where as before it was doing a more complete scan. Yes scanning is faster and easier on the PC, but less is being done than before.

Webroot has had a fw for some time. Check under "More Personal Firewalls" from here>

http://www.firewallguide.com/software.htm

or look here>

http://www.webroot.com/consumer/prod...sktopfirewall/

PCTools firewall is based on a code from an older Look'n Stop firewall. The older PC Tools version 1 was a change- nice pctools GUI with the actual Look'n Stop setup. Their version 2 is still not a finished product. It is Vista capable, but in some ways is not a finished product.
    The drivers are still changing, SPI has been discontinued and has yet to return, the actual rules creation need some polishing- lack of port ranges, missed some of the more expert or fine tuning aspect of rules creation and the default rule set is lacking (as with most default rule sets). It will become a good firewall, after it has been properly finished. Meanwhile the Lookn'Stop has been advanced further, has become extremely polished and their beta for Vista is not finished yet.

McAfeee. LOL I have had that too. The trial was okay. Then I purchased it, upgraded it and it was actually dying. Thirty day refunds are a blessing in the end.

Take care WATCHER.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

I am truly honored. Thanks.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

wstern Guest

Hi Fax / Oldsod,

I been doing a lot of reading of your previous posts on the ZA boards and I am coming to the concluson that ZAISS7 is really all the security software you need. ZAISS7 by itself is outstanding protection against all kinds of threats because of these built in features:

1) The built in Kaspersky Anti-virus (which is always top rated in the comparitives tests) and
    with Extended Database turned on for Kaspersky's on-access anti-spyware protection.
    Please see the latest May 2007 test here: http://www.virus.gr/english/fullxml/...=85&mnu=85
    which puts Kaspersky and ZAISS7 as #1.
    Also ZA's improved on demand anti-spyware scan is a good built in secondary spyware scanner.

2) ZA's spyware site blocking, and parental controls (even on PC's used only by adults) can prevent you
    from visiting bad websites which contain malicious code.

2) Zone Alarm's Internet firewall and OS firewall.
    ZA's internet firewall is superior to Norton's firewall for the following reason:
    ZA's firewall treats any incoming or outgoing internet communication as suspicious and asks for initial approval.
    But Norton lets most things go through and only prompts for something which Norton determines is malicious.
    For this reason, ZAISS firewall is more secure in my opinion.
    ZA's OS firewall provides excellent protection against rootkits (which try to overlay Operating System files).
    ZA's OS firewall also provides another layer of defense by preventing from spyware installing itself.

3) Zone Alarm's Email protection prevents your computer from being used as a Zombie PC by a hacker
    because it prevents your PC from sending too many spam emails to other computers.
    Its Email file attachment scanning help protect you from attachments containing viruses,
    and its SPAM protection are nice features.

4) Zone Alarm's privacy protection - cookies, ads/popups, mobile code protection (ActiveX, Embedded objects, Mime
    Objects, scripts gives you another layer of protection.
    I also like the cache cleaner - I set it to run every day - It keeps my hard drive clean automatically.

5) The Instant messaging security (using you advise to let ZA scan MSN messenger attachments by adding this string in
    the MSN messenger (under Tools --> options -->file transfer --> scan files for viruses using) "C:\Program
    Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\multiscan.exe" provides added security for Instant messaging.

6) The Parental Control is excellent and I use it even on my computer (which only adults use).
    It prevents going inadvertantely to a site which might contain malicious links, scripts, or viruses.

To keep my system light, I'm thinking about uninstalling the following tools:
    Spyware Blaster (by JavaCool software).
    Sybot Search and Destroy.
    Lavasoft Ad-Aware Persion 1.06.

Please let me know if you agree that these 3 are no longer of any use.

Also, I'm thinking about just doing weekly scans using Ewido's Online Anti-Spyware scanner.
    Do you think that the free SuperAntiSpyware has superior on-demand scanning and detection than Ewido's Online Anti-Spyware scanner. If you think it does, then I will install SuperAntiSpyware.

Thanks,

Bill

Also, I keep all my PC's 100% updated with Microsoft Windows updates.

Message Edited by wstern on 05-20-200710:33 PM

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:7.0

Scratch the SpyBot and the SpywareBlaster.

You have activeX protection form the ZA from the web in the Privacy and in the OSFirewall from activeX installs. The bad cookies can be blocked by the Privacy by blockinf third party cookies and by the browser themselves. As for bad sites, just use a host file- many more
    sites are blocked than by either one of these. Hence, scratch the SpywareBlaster.

The SpyBot Tea Timer is replaced by the Triple Defense firewall and the OSFirewall. Just set the OSFirewall to stop new install and protect the IE's home page and search engine. The scanners of the ZA will take care of the rest. The Program control set at High does the job of driver installs, certain registry changes and new services. Scratch the SpyBot.

Ad-Aware free is okay. It is not that good, but is useful for finding bad cookies and cleaning the MRUs. It forte is finding adware and is the best still for finding adware, above all of the rest. You cannot get adware if using FireFox or Opera.Get for on demand scans.

Superantispyware freeware is good. It does find some exotic types of spyware and common rootkits and trojans. It misses all keyloggers, but the ZA triple Defense will stop almost all keylogger install attempts. Plus the sanners from ZASS will find some anyways. Get for on demand scans.

A-squared Free is an antimalware. It finds trojans, worms, dialers,malware, etc. It is a counterpart to ewido freeware, in terms of scanner. massive definitions list and excellent heuristics. Odd false positive. Get for on demand scans.

Ewido online scans can be done even if the on-demand scanners are installed. the advantage of having on-demand scanners is that the scans can be done in the safe mode or when off- line.

Get the MVPS host file and let the children have only limited users accounts. The limited user accounts will alone defeat unwanted installs and malware installs.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>wstern wrote:
    Hi Fax / Oldsod,

To keep my system light, I'm thinking about uninstalling the following tools:
    Spyware Blaster (by JavaCool software).
    Sybot Search and Destroy.
    Lavasoft Ad-Aware Persion 1.06.

Please let me know if you agree that these 3 are no longer of any use.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Hi!IMO, yes... you don't need those three with ZASS 7.It was a great description of features in ZASS 7... Cool.My only concern is that if your system is used by your kids, they may disable ZA to download or run whatever application..you know how is like...So, you could password protect your configuration... automatic AV/AS update will work but many manual action may be prevented.Additionally, Kids can workaround password protection by resetting ZA database (delete the internet log in SAFE MODE).So, the most bulletproof configuration is to have a limited account for your kids (with no boot up insafe mode) and password protection.Though this can be inconvenient..... And Ewido has more "history" in the business of spyware and malware. If I would need to choose between the two (right now), I would go for ewido.However, malware is an evolving business, so... effective solution today may be not in one year. Keep watching.... Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

wstern Guest

Hi Oldsod / Fax,

I'm impressed with SuperAntiSpyware. Have either of you tried the Pro version
    which provides real time &quot;on access&quot; spyware protection?

I'm tempted to purchase it, as when you uninstall the free version, it opens your browser
    to the SuperAntiSpyware website with a half price offer of only US $19.95 to purchase
    the Pro version with free lifetime updates.

But I'm wondering if the SuperAntiSpyware Pro version's &quot;on access&quot; spyware protection
    is even needed if I have ZAISS7. Also, I'm not sure if the &quot;on access&quot; capabilities of
    SuperAntiSpyware Pro will interfere with ZAISS7.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Bill

I have said my piece. I have said in many different ways the methods in which to prevent spyware and not to use the "if it happens becasuse I let it happen approach" . What I have said will prevent almost every spyware known, without buying extra spyscanners and such.

I gave my opinions about the superantispyware before in one of your threads.

Cheers.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

wstern Guest

Hi Oldsod,
    Yes, your very detailed posts which contain a large amount of helpful information with numerous links have proven very helpful to me.Thank you for all the information you have generously provided.
    I decided not to buy the SuperAntiSpyware Pro, as I want to keep &quot;On Access&quot; overhead as low as possible on my PC's.I will use the free version of SuperAntiSpyware and also the On Line Ewido scanner to do &quot;On Demand&quot; scans on a weekly basis.Thanks to you and Fax for alerting me to these 2 products.In addition, I have ZAISS7 doing weekly scans with built in Kaspersky using extended database for spyware protection.
    I keep all my PC's up to date with all XP Pro updates.
    I have
    several desktop PC's at home.
    I have designated one as a high risk PC(with a clean Norton Ghost backup saved to external hard drive).So, any family member who wants to search the web dangerously (like for free music) can use this PC.If it gets infected, I can simply rebuilt it in about 10 minutes with the Norton Ghost image from external firewire
    500 GB hard drive.It
    is interesting to search the web for free music, and watch ZAISS7 (with built in Kaspersky) in action, quarantining numerous viruses.
    Hey, did you notice Kaspersky and ZAISS7 rated number 1 in the latest May 2007 anti-virus comparitives at:
    http://www.virus.gr/english/fullxml/...=85&amp;mnu=85
    Bill

My general rule is the less spent on software the better.

Anything from open source or abandoned ware or the genuine freeware or community software is always top of the list. Money is always best spent on hardware or a new PC.

Probably the best software to buy is the antvirus. firewalls may keep baddies out and from calling home, but if the OS dies from a nasty virus, even the best firewall cannot help the user.

Spyware infections can be be completely avoided. Even if the PC has got spyware runnuning on it, the PC will still work and can be easily cleaned manually. But a nasty virus will kill the PC.

The firewall can stop trojans from calling home, but the antivirus should have stopped the trojan install in the first place.

Music downloads from P2P is risky. Movies are worse.

You should consider something like the freeware SSM. After you get acquainted with it and train it, it will stop almost all viruses, spyware, trojans, worms, ads, cws, malware, rootkits and malware. If the PC does get infected, it will provide excellent logs to trace the infection and make removal a lot easier. It does take some time to understand the SSM and you will learn a lot of normal things happening on the PC at the same time.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

watcher Guest

Dear Oldsod:

Thanks for the links, I found Webroot's firewall. Interesting reading on the history of PC Tools firewall.

Thanks again,

WATCHER

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information